Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Here's Your Host, The Star of The Newlywed Game...  (Read 14981 times)

calliaume

And Here's Your Host, The Star of The Newlywed Game...
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:13:23 AM »
Yep, Brian Wilson's daughter got the gig.

So, this may set a few firsts:

1) First game show host with multiple #1 singles to her credit (Wilson Phillips had three #1s in all).
2) First host to undergo gastric bypass surgery.
3) First game show host to appear nude in a Playboy spread.  (We've had lots of models and assistants, of course, plus at least one host who disrobed for Cosmopolitan and another for Playgirl.)

And, of course, her dad's real cool.

davemackey

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'207511\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 08:13 AM\']
[/quote]
Good for her, but I know we're going to hear the hue and cry of the oldliners who will be invariably pissed off that Bob Eubanks isn't going to do it.

colonial

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:04:25 AM »

1) First game show host with multiple #1 singles to her credit (Wilson Phillips had three #1s in all).
2) First host to undergo gastric bypass surgery.
3) First game show host to appear nude in a Playboy spread.  (We've had lots of models and assistants, of course, plus at least one host who disrobed for Cosmopolitan and another for Playgirl.)

And, of course, her dad's real cool.
[/quote]

Another possible first -- Carnie Wilson is five months pregnant with her third child.  Is she the first pregnant woman to host a "traditional" game show in the U.S. (eliminating the likes of Alison Sweeney, who was preggers during the last two Biggest Loser tournaments)?

Curious to see how Wilson does as an emcee.  She does have talk show hosting experience and is known for being an enthusiastic and talkative interview subject, but that doesn't mean squat when it comes to hosting game shows.

James

tvwxman

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »
I worked with Carnie on an informercial she hosted...she was the host, I was acne before case #2.

I mean, I was the audience warm up guy.

She was, tremendously nice, sharp, self depreciating, and funny....cusses like a sailor and is better looking in person than what you see in photos.

I actually think she'll be a good host...this is up her alley. If Davies' lets her roam free from the cue cards (I'm looking at you Dylan Lane), this might be fun.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:16:19 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'207511\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 05:13 AM\']
2) First host to undergo gastric bypass surgery.[/quote]
We're not counting Al Roker, there?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'207511\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 08:13 AM\']1) First game show host with multiple #1 singles to her credit (Wilson Phillips had three #1s in all).[/quote]
How many hosts even have one?  I can come up with four who each have a single #1 single, but I bet I'm missing some.

And yeah, she's the second host to have gastric bypass.  That we know of.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
Eh. I've watched her host on GSN Live and she wasn't that appealing to me, but I won't judge until I see her here. I'm looking forward to it.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 11:43:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'207518\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 11:26 AM\']
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'207511\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 08:13 AM\']1) First game show host with multiple #1 singles to her credit (Wilson Phillips had three #1s in all).[/quote]
How many hosts even have one?  I can come up with four who each have a single #1 single, but I bet I'm missing some.

And yeah, she's the second host to have gastric bypass.  That we know of.
[/quote]

Donny Osmond had one on his own and one with his brothers.  Some more with one: Merv Griffin, Vicki Lawrence and maybe Danny Bonaduce if you are generous. Of course, Bill Anderson had a bunch on the country chart.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chad1m

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'207521\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 11:43 AM\']Donny Osmond had one on his own and one with his brothers.  Some more with one: Merv Griffin, Vicki Lawrence and maybe Danny Bonaduce if you are generous. Of course, Bill Anderson had a bunch on the country chart.[/quote]Honestly, it took me until "country chart" to realize you were talking about hits and not gastric bypass.

/self-facepalm

weaklink75

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »

3) First game show host to appear nude in a Playboy spread.  

[/quote]

Daphnee Duplaix beat her to it just barely (Playboy Channel's Show Us Your Wits)...

It's an interesting choice- she'll probably do well at it...

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'207521\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 11:43 AM\']Donny Osmond had one on his own and one with his brothers.  Some more with one: Merv Griffin, Vicki Lawrence and maybe Danny Bonaduce if you are generous. [/quote]
For some reason didn't think of Osmond, so there's our second host with multiple #1's.  I didn't have Merv either, and yeah, counting Boanduce is very generous.  I've still got three others with #1 hits on the popular music charts.  Anybody?

colonial

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:31:58 PM »
Joey Fatone -- believe *NSYNC had at least one #1 single in the U.S.

JD

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'207525\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 12:31 PM\']
Joey Fatone -- believe *NSYNC had at least one #1 single in the U.S.[/quote]
JUST one, best as I can tell, which surprised me.  I thought for sure that was going to be another multiple-winner Curt forgot, and I was wrong.

Two more (at least).  One more or less "modern" and the other really, really not.  Neither are particularly famous for their game show hosting.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 12:58:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'207526\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 11:39 AM\']
Two more (at least).  One more or less "modern" and the other really, really not.  Neither are particularly famous for their game show hosting.
[/quote]
It's bothering me that I can't get the "modern" one, but Kay Kyser would qualify for the "really, really not," no?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Mike Tennant

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 01:13:39 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'207529\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 12:58 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'207526\' date=\'Feb 4 2009, 11:39 AM\']Two more (at least).  One more or less "modern" and the other really, really not.  Neither are particularly famous for their game show hosting.[/quote]It's bothering me that I can't get the "modern" one, but Kay Kyser would qualify for the "really, really not," no?[/quote]Perhaps, but I think he's fairly well known for hosting the Kollege of Musical Knowledge.  The other guy who hosted the TV version, however, is not known for his game show emceeing.  Whaddya think, Michi-Matt?