Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price Director Leaves Show  (Read 16847 times)

rialtus

Price Director Leaves Show
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2009, 12:10:58 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'206400\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 08:47 PM\']
wondering when all these recent firings will stop
Why do you care? Your job's not at stake. [/quote]I'm not the original poster, but I can see the point here. I think the concern is that there is a loss of domain knowledge when there are a lot of people who leave, which can impact the quality of the show. Given the complexity of the show and the changing of various key people in the organization, things may not be done the way the always were, and this is a risk in some people's opinion.

Jay Temple

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2009, 01:57:50 PM »
Point of information:

Am I right in thinking that he had the authority to order a retake when Drew was so low-key on the showcase bid that was exactly right?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'206433\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 01:57 PM\']Am I right in thinking that he had the authority to order a retake when Drew was so low-key on the showcase bid that was exactly right?[/quote]
Probably not.  That's the way it would normally work in television, but Drew is the 800 pound gorilla, and if he didn't feel like doing something the director wanted, the director would lose that battle..
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'206433\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 10:57 AM\']
Am I right in thinking that he had the authority to order a retake when Drew was so low-key on the showcase bid that was exactly right?[/quote]
Whether he did or not: why the heck WOULD you?

By re-enacting that whole thing completely, after the fact, what kind of footage do you think you're going to get out of that now-utterly-fake-instead-of-just-somewhat moment that is the least bit usable?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'206437\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 11:11 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'206433\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 10:57 AM\']
Am I right in thinking that he had the authority to order a retake when Drew was so low-key on the showcase bid that was exactly right?[/quote]
Whether he did or not: why the heck WOULD you?

By re-enacting that whole thing completely, after the fact, what kind of footage do you think you're going to get out of that now-utterly-fake-instead-of-just-somewhat moment that is the least bit usable?
[/quote]
You risk losing whatever spontaneity there was in the contestant's reaction, even though I believe Terry's astonishment was feigned to a large extent. I hope you would risk S.V. or M.R. storming the booth demanding to know "What the hell are you doing?".

clemon79

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2009, 04:15:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'206439\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 01:06 PM\']
You risk losing whatever spontaneity there was in the contestant's reaction, even though I believe Terry's astonishment was feigned to a large extent.[/quote]
My point exactly. You can't fake that. At all. You either get it the first time or you don't get it at all.

/way to go, Ted

tpirfan28

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'206439\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 04:06 PM\']
You risk losing whatever spontaneity there was in the contestant's reaction, even though I believe Terry's astonishment was feigned to a large extent.[/quote]
Linked for evidence.  Snapped right after Drew spoke the price, and 0 lit up.

TPIR mostly is one show that really can't be hacked up in post and have a jillion retakes.  You get the spontaneity once.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

alex99

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 05:45:53 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'206387\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 10:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'alex99\' post=\'206382\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 09:58 PM\']
Has anyone on this board ever actually directed a gameshow?  Or any show for that matter?
You sure are good at criticizing other director's work.
[/quote]
Wow...so defensive over nothing. This is a message board, opinions are discussed, and guess what? Some of those opinions you may not agree with. I only played one year of Pee Wee football, but it doesn't stop me from criticizing my favorite team. Every opinion I've seen was for the most part, reasonable, and not in the "h8r" territory that you're implying.

BTW, you'll find that many of us (myself included), have extensive directing and other behind-the-camera experience, so your efforts at snark could very well backfire on you.
[/quote]

I agree, the show looks cheesy. All I'm saying is, you don't know the situation the guy was in.  Maybe the producers wanted it to look that way.  Maybe he tried to update the look and they wouldn't let him.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'206400\' date=\'Jan 15 2009, 11:47 PM\']
wondering when all these recent firings will stop
Why do you care? Your job's not at stake. What is your job, BTW?
[/quote]

Way to rub salt in the wound. >_>

All I said was that people should stop being fired over there (and I highly doubt Roger, etc. were all fired due to the economy) If you want me to expand, frequent turnover in employees is going to hurt the show eventually; that principle can apply to nearly any workplace, I think.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:25:45 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'206460\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 04:41 PM\'](and I highly doubt Roger, etc. were all fired due to the economy)[/quote]
I dunno about Roger, but I absolutely am willing to entertain that Bart's leaving the show had to do with what he was being paid, considering how long he had been around, in the absence of any other evidence telling me otherwise.

That said, I don't know what sort of compensation DiPirro commands and whether or not it's comparable to what Bart made. This is strictly conjecture. But I think to wave your hand and say "oh, this has nothing to do with the economy being in the crapper" is being somewhat dismissive.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:32:18 PM by chris319 »

TroubadourNando

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'206461\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 07:55 PM\'][quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'206460\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 04:41 PM\']
(and I highly doubt Roger, etc. were all fired due to the economy)[/quote]
I dunno about Roger, but I absolutely am willing to entertain that Bart's leaving the show had to do with what he was being paid, considering how long he had been around, in the absence of any other evidence telling me otherwise.

That said, I don't know what sort of compensation DiPirro commands and whether or not it's comparable to what Bart made. This is strictly conjecture. But I think to wave your hand and say "oh, this has nothing to do with the economy being in the crapper" is being somewhat dismissive.
[/quote]

Do I think it's possible the economy did him in? Of course it is. Likely? That I don't.

And this is just the knee-jerk impression I get, but I would personally guess DiPirro's experience advantage over Bart would command him a higher price. That's just my guess, anyway.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:32:40 PM by chris319 »

clemon79

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'206462\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 05:01 PM\']
Do I think it's possible the economy did him in? Of course it is. Likely? That I don't.[/quote]
Okay, well, we disagree there.
And this is just the knee-jerk impression I get, but I would personally guess DiPirro's experience advantage over Bart would command him a higher price. That's just my guess, anyway.
I wasn't aware DiPirro had such an advantage.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
All I said was that people should stop being fired over there
Nice evasive answer. Now tell us why and what business it is of yours.

Speaking in general terms, a game show director who misses or refuses to take game-winning reveals should be in another line of work. Roger didn't deserve to go but Bart did. I know both of them.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:39:53 PM by chris319 »

TroubadourNando

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'206465\' date=\'Jan 16 2009, 08:39 PM\']
All I said was that people should stop being fired over there
Nice evasive answer. Now tell us why and what business it is of yours.

Speaking in general terms, a game show director who misses or refuses to take game-winning reveals should be in another line of work. Roger didn't deserve to go but Bart did. I know both of them.
[/quote]

Okay, I really don't know why you're so upset over what I said. I really don't. I thought we were all entitled to our opinions? Mine is that too many people have been fired from Price since last July when Roger was fired. That's all.

Note that I didn't DEFEND Bart either---in fact, I think I clearly said he was "at best dull and uncreative" and later called his style "crappy"---so really, I think you're coming after me for nothing.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
Another nice non-answer.