Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Millionaire Questions...  (Read 103862 times)

tommycharles

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2003, 11:48:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 09:07 PM\'] Here's a great MDQ:

Which future teen idol was seen for the first time on the same "Ed Sullivan Show" that the Beatles first appeared on?

A) Donny Osmond
B) Bobby Sherman
C) Davy Jones
D) Peter Noone

HINT: If you get the "Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show DVD", you'll see this person as part of one of the other acts. [/quote]
 Or along those lines: what song did the Beatles first perform on the Ed Sullivan Show?

A. I Want to Hold Your Hand
B. All My Loving
C. She Loves You
D. I Saw Her Standing There

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2003, 01:19:42 PM »
I'm almost certain that All My Loving was a Wings song...all the commercials I see show them singing She Loves You after Ed's intro, so I'll say C, final answer.

tommycharles

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2003, 01:24:12 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 01:19 PM\'] I'm almost certain that All My Loving was a Wings song...all the commercials I see show them singing She Loves You after Ed's intro, so I'll say C, final answer. [/quote]
 Good thing this isn't the real thing, Whoserman. All My Loving was a Beatles piece, and was the first song they performed on Ed Sullivan. Really overrated song, IMO.

BrandonFG

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2003, 01:26:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 11:48 PM\'] Or along those lines: what song did the Beatles first perform on the Ed Sullivan Show?

A. I Want to Hold Your Hand
B. All My Loving
C. She Loves You
D. I Saw Her Standing There [/quote]
 A....I know there was a movie called I Want To Hold Your Hand, related to two girls who went to go see the Beatles....don't know if it was on Ed Sullivan, but that's all I remember.

ObGameShow: TTD takes the award for the cheesiest/chintziest game shows of all time. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2003, 01:26:12 PM »
Hmm. That IS good, then.

tommycharles

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2003, 01:34:32 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 01:26 PM\'] Hmm. That IS good, then. [/quote]
 Yeah...that's one of those that if people guess at then they will fail, as the 3 most likely choices are the wrong ones. Not that you'd guess at a million dollar question, but you know what I mean.

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2003, 01:37:13 PM »
Here's a tricky one...

Which of the following weighs the least?

A: A pound of gold
B: A pound of bricks
C: A pound of feathers
D: A pound of sugar

There IS one right answer to this.

JayC

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2003, 01:59:11 PM »
I think it would be a pound of feathers.

Dave Hampton was the inventor of which of these popular children's toys?
A. Furby
B. Cabbage Patch Kids
C. Tickle Me Elmo
D. My Little Pony

tommycharles

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2003, 02:36:57 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 01:37 PM\'] Here's a tricky one...

There IS one right answer to this. [/quote]
 If you mean what I think you mean, then that's a dirty question...

Weight being the amount of gravity exerted on an object, then the answer is C.

Definatly upper tier material.

Now...another one (not million dollar material necessarily, but it all depends on how much you keep up with things...)

What was Nelson Mandela's prison number on Robbin Island?
A. 24601
B. 46664
C. 51212
D. 00666

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2003, 03:37:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 02:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 01:37 PM\'] Here's a tricky one...

There IS one right answer to this. [/quote]
If you mean what I think you mean, then that's a dirty question...

Weight being the amount of gravity exerted on an object, then the answer is C.

Definatly upper tier material.

Now...another one (not million dollar material necessarily, but it all depends on how much you keep up with things...)

What was Nelson Mandela's prison number on Robbin Island?
A. 24601
B. 46664
C. 51212
D. 00666 [/quote]
 I was thinking more along the lines of A: A pound of gold. Here's why....

B, C, and D are all measured in avoirdupois weight, in which there are 7,000 grains in a pound. A is measured in troy weight, in which there are 5,760 grains in a pound. Thus, a "pound" of gold is less than a "pound" of feathers, sugar, or bricks.

gameshowguy2000

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2003, 07:07:35 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 07:12 PM\'] I'd like to comment on the "Night Before Christmas" question. Here's how I'd do it for the MDQ:

Before going to its usual title, what was the original title of the 1822 Clement C. Moore holiday poem "The Night Before Christmas"?

A. "A Visit From St. Nicholas"
B. "A Visit From Santa Claus"
C. "A Visit From The North Pole"
D. "A Visit From The Elves" [/quote]
 And there's also one right answer to this one. Figure out which one it is!

Steve McClellan

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2003, 07:13:18 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 04:07 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Dec 26 2003, 07:12 PM\'] I'd like to comment on the "Night Before Christmas" question. Here's how I'd do it for the MDQ:

Before going to its usual title, what was the original title of the 1822 Clement C. Moore holiday poem "The Night Before Christmas"?

A. "A Visit From St. Nicholas"
B. "A Visit From Santa Claus"
C. "A Visit From The North Pole"
D. "A Visit From The Elves" [/quote]
And there's also one right answer to this one. Figure out which one it is![/quote]
Quoting a previous million-dollar winner, I'd be a lot more comfortable if this were at the $4000 level, but I'm pretty sure it's A.

Kevin Prather

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2003, 08:17:27 PM »
It is A. I have a newspaper clipping from 1922 reflecting on the 100 year anniversary of the poem, and it was titled "A Visit From St. Nicholas"

Matt Ottinger

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2003, 10:08:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 03:36 PM\'] What was Nelson Mandela's prison number on Robbin Island?
A. 24601
B. 46664
C. 51212
D. 00666 [/quote]
 For the record (and no offense), this is a *terrible* WWTBAM question because there's A) no real reason to know it and, more importantly, B) nothing about it that makes a Hot Seat contestant mull it over and/or guess.  Unless the player happens to know it, the game stops dead right there.

Also, again for the record, most of the questions on this thread have been too easy to be million-dollar questions, including A Visit From St Nicholas, Ecclesiastes and the Beatles questions.  Some of us are older than 25, you know.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

Millionaire Questions...
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2003, 11:33:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 10:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Dec 27 2003, 03:36 PM\'] What was Nelson Mandela's prison number on Robbin Island?
A. 24601
B. 46664
C. 51212
D. 00666 [/quote]
For the record (and no offense), this is a *terrible* WWTBAM question because there's A) no real reason to know it and, more importantly, B) nothing about it that makes a Hot Seat contestant mull it over and/or guess.  Unless the player happens to know it, the game stops dead right there.

[/quote]
 Well, actually, that demonstrates what a TERRIBLE job the U.S. media did of covering the 46664 campaign. November 29th, 2003, a massive 4-hour concert was staged at Green Point stadium in Cape Town, South Africa. This was to benefit AIDS in Africa, a cause that has gone far beyond a medical issue and into one of human rights (poor countries not being able to get drugs that would save lives entirely because they're poor countries, etc.).

It featured Queen, Bono/The Edge, Eurythmics (they reunited), Beyonce, Bob Geldof, Anastasia, and tons of other people who I've forgotten.

The central point of the campaign was the fact that you could log on to www.46664.com or call your country's telephone number (in the US it's 1866 61 46664) and donate money to the campaign in exchange for some music that's created specially for the event by the artists involved.

You can also watch either the entire concert or a 71 min. edit free of charge.

There's gonna be a CD and DVD coming out in January, and their will continue to be more tracks that you can download/listen to by phone between now and then.

But anyhow - it's interesting that between the European Union and the U.S. - the only countries that DIDN'T get massive media coverage and live broadcasts of the show are England and the United States. Pretty appauling, that.

/Steps off of soapbox.

So that's why Mandela's prison number is important. Also, 24601 was another famous prison number, and so I figured that would be a 50/50 choice.

But I'm not defending the question - you're right, it wouldn't actually work on the show. But it gave me a nice chance to rant about a cause ;-)

BTW, did you know the All My Loving question, Matt??

T