Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Owning a "piece" of a game show  (Read 11368 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Owning a "piece" of a game show
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2008, 10:29:26 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'205203\' date=\'Dec 31 2008, 12:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'205199\' date=\'Dec 31 2008, 02:50 PM\']
and a piece of Allen Ludden's podium.
[/quote]
This fascinates me. I think you've told this story before...he thought leaning over the podium was giving him the stomach pain that, in reality, was being caused by cancer?[/quote]
Almost. He knew he had stomach cancer but was keeping it a secret from everyone, including us. The corners of the podium were poking him in the abdomen where he was still tender from surgery.

Imagine a lectern from school with a flat surface. At the edge of the podium closest to him, an area was cut out which was about 9 inches square. It was open on the edge closest to Allen. Those were the two corners poking him in the gut.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »
From WWTBAM - Play It!: 20 pins (5 from my first time in the Hot Seat, 15 from the second time), 2 caps (one's sun damaged from being the back of my car for so long), a polo shirt, a leather jacket, a gold medallion, and some yellow and purple streamer confetti from the big win.  Jeepers, it's almost 5 years now.

I also own a TPiR name tag and a Russian Roulette t-shirt.

--Charlie
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 11:39:38 PM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

comicus

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 01:12:23 AM »
My in-laws threw my TPIR name tag in the trash along with my plush Whammy! doll that I won at a GSN event in 2002.  I've since acquired a replacement for one of those items.

I also have an autographed 8x10 of Monty Hall, but I don't suppose that counts.

joshg

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 06:50:52 AM »
TPIR nametags
old 'Check Game' check
several old signs like Santa's helper Dian is holding
- http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/el...alfelven/dp.jpg -
(they were throwing them out!)
MG '98 answer cards
Combs Feud blank question cards
"MOTORCYCLE 5" card from Combs Feud
two 'Punchboard' slips
MG '07 Congreff question and answer cards

Josh
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 06:54:33 AM by joshg »
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Timsterino

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 12:17:43 PM »
I have my "Wheel of Fortune" name tag (actually two of them - I was an alternate before I became a contestant), tickets from the Fort Lauderdale taping of Wheel that I was an alternate at, contestant passes from my wife for Wheel,  a "Million Dollar" check made out to me from when I was on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire", TPiR name tags and numbers and a crew jacket from the UK version of WWTBAM that I bought from a Brit on eBay back in the day (real nice Celador winter jacket with a huge WWTBAM logo on the back).

I also have various WWTBAM Play it! pins and other materials, however I view them as more of an indirect souvenir.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 12:20:00 PM by Timsterino »

Firefish

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
I have a pair of BIG SHOWDOWN dice.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 12:57:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Firefish\' post=\'205272\' date=\'Jan 1 2009, 12:31 PM\']
[/quote]
Now HOW did you get those?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2009, 01:59:05 PM »
-$500 pull card from the first season of "Win Ben Stein's Money." (A writer contacted me asking to send him a list of category names for him to add to his portfolio because he hadn't kept track. A week later, that card showed up in the lobby at my dorm building.)

-Ceramic dalmatian (Christmas gift to staffers and related employees during the 25th season of Wheel.)

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'205273\' date=\'Jan 1 2009, 01:57 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
"Hey look!  Jim Peck just fell down the stairs again!"

"Funny--I don't see him anywhere over...HEY, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DICE??  WHERE'D HE GO???"
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Ian Wallis

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
Not really a "piece" of a game show, but maybe a little piece of GSN.  When I made my call to Club AM on 12/20/94, they sent me a Winnie Pin and an autographed card from Steve, Laura and Peter to say thank you.  A nice keepsake from GSN's early days!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Firefish

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'205273\' date=\'Jan 1 2009, 01:57 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]

They were a gift from producer Ronnie Greenberg. The paint has faded a bit but they make great bookends!

pds319

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2009, 01:02:58 AM »
I have the $2500, $3500, and $5000 spaces from "Wheel of Fortune." I'd say they're about 10-15-years-old.  The $5000 is a little warped since the space is actually made of fabric and mounted on acrylic, and the glitter on the $3500 is starting to fall off. Overall they're in really good shape for their age.

-Paul

JakeT

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2009, 06:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Firefish\' post=\'205272\' date=\'Jan 1 2009, 11:31 AM\']
[/quote]

Not that the holidays haven't already had me emotional enough, but this was all it took to bring me to some bittersweet tears and a precious memory...

If only those of you who never had the honor of meeting our dear late Randy Amasia in person, you missed one of the sweetest moments EVER...that moment at GSC4 when Randy first laid eyes and then his hands upon that set of BIG SHOWDOWN dice (I assume we're speaking of the same pair).  I swear that it felt like Randy, in one brief moment, experienced losing his virginity, the feeling of his first true love and being reunited with a beloved long-lost relative all in one fell swoop.  I'm not sure just how long it took for his hyperventilation to subside and normal breathing resume.

Jake

dale_grass

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »
If anything will ever cement the notion that there are levels of gameshow fandom that I haven't even come near, the previous post will.

aaron sica

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'205383\' date=\'Jan 2 2009, 06:37 PM\']
If only those of you who never had the honor of meeting our dear late Randy Amasia in person, you missed one of the sweetest moments EVER...that moment at GSC4 when Randy first laid eyes and then his hands upon that set of BIG SHOWDOWN dice (I assume we're speaking of the same pair).  I swear that it felt like Randy, in one brief moment, experienced losing his virginity, the feeling of his first true love and being reunited with a beloved long-lost relative all in one fell swoop.  I'm not sure just how long it took for his hyperventilation to subside and normal breathing resume.

Jake
[/quote]

As someone who was there at the time, absolutely QFT. I can still hear him exclaiming "OH MY GOD" when he saw those dice. Absolutely glad I got to meet him (and you, Jake, and Matt O., and David H., and anyone else at GSC4 reading this) while I could. Some of the best memories of my life in a summer which otherwise was peppered with tragedy.