Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG '90 Question  (Read 1649 times)

TimK2003

MG '90 Question
« on: December 24, 2008, 03:52:35 PM »
...To using the late '70s/Early 80's format???

While watching a MG'90 ep yesterday, as witnessed by the red/green stars on either side of the celeb names and the odd *-M-A-T-C-H signs on the contestant desks (which easily could have been 6 green/red *'s with one * per match), it looked as though they prepared the set with the predecessor's format in mind (maximum 6 matches per game).  

Would the gameplay (in your opinion) have been better if they did use the 70's/80's version format -- with or without the Match-Up rounds?  

Was there a serious effort to go with the 70's/80's format before they went to the "unlimited matches" format, and what was the reasoning?

aaron sica

MG '90 Question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 04:24:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'204631\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 03:52 PM\']
While watching a MG'90 ep yesterday, as witnessed by the red/green stars on either side of the celeb names and the odd *-M-A-T-C-H signs on the contestant desks (which easily could have been 6 green/red *'s with one * per match), it looked as though they prepared the set with the predecessor's format in mind (maximum 6 matches per game).  
[/quote]

That's exactly why I would love to see the pilot. All I've seen of it is the one moment you see on GS blooper specials. Perhaps a giving soul could upload it to the You Tube.

mandelweb

MG '90 Question
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'204635\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 01:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'204631\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 03:52 PM\']
[/quote]

That's exactly why I would love to see the pilot. All I've seen of it is the one moment you see on GS blooper specials. Perhaps a giving soul could upload it to the You Tube.
[/quote]

Based on the couple of Bert Convy pilots that I saw, the format was as such...

There were no Match-ups and three rounds of  "everybody plays" 70s Match Game were played.

ROUND 1 - 1 point per match
ROUND 2 - 1 point per match
ROUND 3 - 2 points per match

The rectangular stars next to each celeb's nameplate stayed lit up when a player matched him/her, but they were reset at the beginning of each round.

Also, the individual *-M-A-T-C-H rectangles didn't seem to line up on the player's podium.  The scoreboard was  a two-digit eggcrate display (to accomodate a maximum score of 18) as opposed to the four-digit display used once the show hit the air.

In watching the pilots, it seemed like the having a 3-round "everybody plays" format dragged a bit.  Also, all thepilots seemed to run long for a half-hour slot.  Program time clocked in around the 27-minute range EVEN with editing.

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com