Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Tell The Truth Now Being Butchered More  (Read 7174 times)

Eric Paddon

To Tell The Truth Now Being Butchered More
« on: October 21, 2003, 04:22:48 AM »
My GSN viewing is now down to the daytime "To Tell The Truth" shows on B/W Overnight and now even in this one island left of GSN viewing, they find ways to suddenly make that more annoying.

In the last two days, GSN has now taken to cutting out the commercial plug after the second team is introduced, "The first half was brought to you by....the second half is brought to you by" and also cutting out the fee plug from the end credits with one of those annoying generic GSN contact us things that are several years old and very stale.    It's apparent this trend is permanent and in the process is for me ruining one part of what made seeing these daytime shows so nice again.    I may decide to just bag it altogether once I fill out the tape I'm recording on right now (and thus bring a permanent end to six years of GSN viewing).

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2003, 03:39:19 PM »
Ever thought it was because of the sponsors that were on these episodes?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 03:54:01 PM »
Do they still make Geritol?  For some reason, that's the first product name that comes to mind when I think of the old TTTT.  I love the idea that the game is all about telling the truth, and here's a product that makes false claims about curing "tired blood".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mario500

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2003, 04:53:43 PM »
Yep, Geritol's still being produced after all these years. Just saw a plug for Geritol during one The Price is Right's "closed caption plugs" a while back.

-Mario500

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 05:40:16 PM »
I love the idea that the game is all about telling the truth, and here's a product that makes false claims about curing "tired blood".

Speaking of false claims, does Anacin (another TTTT sponsor) really "help fight depression"?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 05:59:27 PM by ilb4ever2000 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 05:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 02:54 PM\'] Do they still make Geritol?  For some reason, that's the first product name that comes to mind when I think of the old TTTT.  I love the idea that the game is all about telling the truth, and here's a product that makes false claims about curing "tired blood". [/quote]
 http://www.geritol.com/

Complete for whats in it.
Special for whats not.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

GameShowFan

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 07:57:25 PM »
cutting out the fee plug from the end credits with one of those annoying generic GSN contact us things that are several years old and very stale.

Those generic "contact us" plugs were put in way back in 1994 (pre-Day 1!) to cover up contestant plugs.

The other cuts I can't help you with.

'Brian

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2003, 06:42:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 12:54 PM\']Do they still make Geritol?  For some reason, that's the first product name that comes to mind when I think of the old TTTT.  I love the idea that the game is all about telling the truth, and here's a product that makes false claims about curing "tired blood".[/quote]
Who decided the claims were false? Did they lose a lawsuit? Did the FTC act against them? My recollection is that Geritol claimed to be a tonic for "iron-poor, tired blood". If Geritol has nutritional iron* in it, I don't see where the claim is false.

*Nutritional iron mixed with a liberal amount of ethanol.

davemackey

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 08:26:58 AM »
There was even a disclaimer that disassociated the current maker of Geritol from Pharamaceuticals, Inc., at the end of the film "Quiz Show".

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2003, 01:19:58 AM »
Ummmmm....the B/W shows always contained jarring cuts.  At least as far back as I remember (which would be around May '97)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TheNooz

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 12:00:18 AM »
[quote name=\'ilb4ever2000\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 04:40 PM\']
I love the idea that the game is all about telling the truth, and here's a product that makes false claims about curing "tired blood".

Speaking of false claims, does Anacin (another TTTT sponsor) really "help fight depression"?[/quote]
Anacin contains aspirin and caffeine, 32 mg. per tablet (about the same as one-quarter cup of coffee).  Because caffeine is a stimulant, a product containing it can claim to have anti-depressant properties.

Midge