Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Perfect showcase Terry: "I did it on my own!"  (Read 20071 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Perfect showcase Terry: "I did it on my own!"
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'204633\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 04:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204592\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 09:29 AM\']
Suppose they enact a no-looking-into-the-audience rule. What's going to happen when a contestant forgets the rule and does look into the audience? A buzzer sounds and Drew has to explain, "Sorry, but you just looked into the audience"? If it's the first showcase, the opposing contestant basically wins because there's no one to bid closer than. Suppose they go through the motions and show the second showcase. Drew says "What do you bid?" The opponent is disqualified. "One dollar, Drew". Automatic win.

They could place a wall between the contestants' backs and the audience. That would be a less than elegant fix for a problem that's occurred just once in 36 years. Simpler to ban the Teds of the world.
[/quote]

Anyone know if the Povich Twenty-One booths are still around?  :-)
[/quote]

Now there is something I'd like to see! :)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2008, 04:35:31 PM »
How about a "VIP area" for regulars and people who have been on the show before.  Maybe construct a balcony in 33.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'204636\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 04:35 PM\']
How about a "VIP area" for regulars and people who have been on the show before.  Maybe construct a balcony in 33.[/quote]I know you're being facetious (at least, I hope so), but why boost their egos any more?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
My thought was the contestant could look to the audience for help, but not the balcony. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2008, 04:49:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'204639\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 04:41 PM\']
My thought was the contestant could look to the audience for help, but not the balcony. :)
[/quote]

Wouldn't stop 'em, I'm sure...

"What? You're too high up! I can't see or hear you!"

"What?"
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2008, 05:53:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'204637\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 01:37 PM\']
I know you're being facetious (at least, I hope so), but why boost their egos any more?[/quote]
Consider these two scenarios:

"You can watch the taping, Mr. Savant, but you have to do it from this part of the audience where you can't botch up the game by shouting out something that completely ruins things."

or

"Welcome to The Price is Right, Mr. Savant! We have heard about your dedication to the show and we would be honored if you would enjoy the taping from our special VIP area!"

Which one do you think is less likely to result in Mr. Savant vociferously bitching about his experience to anyone he can convince to listen?

There are two and only two goals here: a) keep Mr. Savant from ruining the game, and b) keeping the negative PR from doing so to a minimum. CBS does not (and should not) care if egos are boosted either way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2008, 09:45:33 PM »
There's also "You're not welcome on the set, Mr. Savant. Have a nice day shopping at The Grove." Who cares if he goes whining to the tabloids or to blogspace because he was thrown out for the justifiable reason that he's going to make a mockery of the game? Heck, the show's been subjected to much worse.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'204655\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 06:45 PM\']
There's also "You're not welcome on the set, Mr. Savant. Have a nice day shopping at The Grove." Who cares if he goes whining to the tabloids or to blogspace because he was thrown out for the justifiable reason that he's going to make a mockery of the game? Heck, the show's been subjected to much worse.[/quote]
Absolutely. I was merely pointing out to Mark that ego-stroking is not a factor here at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mike Tennant

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2008, 08:29:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'204636\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 04:35 PM\']How about a "VIP area" for regulars and people who have been on the show before.  Maybe construct a balcony in 33.[/quote]Get two old "savants" and they can sit up there and humorously insult the show!

Statler:  That was the funniest showcase I've seen in years!

Waldorf:  That can only mean one thing: you forgot to put your bifocals on again.

dale_grass

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'204967\' date=\'Dec 28 2008, 09:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'204636\' date=\'Dec 24 2008, 04:35 PM\']How about a "VIP area" for regulars and people who have been on the show before.  Maybe construct a balcony in 33.[/quote]Get two old "savants" and they can sit up there and humorously insult the show!

Statler:  That was the funniest showcase I've seen in years!

Waldorf:  That can only mean one thing: you forgot to put your bifocals on again.
[/quote]

Statler: I really liked that last pricing game.

Waldorf: How come?

Statler: It was the last one!

Jay Temple

« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2008, 01:38:18 AM »
I'm envisioning something more like Whatever, Martha! For those of you fortunate enough to have missed this, Martha Stewart's daughter and a friend of the daughter watch tapes of Martha's shows and make fun of the segments.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

uncamark

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2008, 04:30:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'204991\' date=\'Dec 29 2008, 12:38 AM\']
I'm envisioning something more like Whatever, Martha! For those of you fortunate enough to have missed this, Martha Stewart's daughter and a friend of the daughter watch tapes of Martha's shows and make fun of the segments.
[/quote]

In a not too distant future
Next Sunday AD...