Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Perfect showcase Terry: "I did it on my own!"  (Read 20069 times)

Don Howard

Perfect showcase Terry: "I did it on my own!"
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 06:52:14 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'204253\' date=\'Dec 19 2008, 06:13 PM\']
Asterisk, anyone?
[/quote]
No. Many others have gotten excellent bids from TPiR PhDs in the audience. This is just the first one to nail it right in the (CRASH!) bullseye.

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'204253\' date=\'Dec 19 2008, 06:13 PM\']
Asterisk, anyone?
[/quote]
No...an asterisk would apply to the two D/ND winners because they won thanks to that insipid Million Dollar Mission.

Techincally, there weren't any special circumstances applying to this win.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
Here's the absolute dumbest comment out of all of them.

why does he get both showcases....

that's not fair, where is the out rage....he doesn't deserve both, where is Obama, let's tax the hell outta this guy so he can't take both, no fair, I want my share.....

Using this to make a political statement...not too bright.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

AZAndrewG

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 05:17:46 PM »
I hate to say it, but I believe this particular episode is going to mark the beginning of the end of The Price Is Right.  First off, you can almost count on a justice department investigation on the showcase.  I mean, NO ONE just pulls out $23,743 out of thin air and have it be the EXACT retail price, no matter what anyone says.  If I was the other showcase contestant, I would be screaming bloody murder for having been defrauded out of a $30,000-plus showcase.  I predict a full-scale investigation on the show is going to launch very soon.  Something fishy had to have been going on.  As for Drew's lackluster performance on the moment, shenanigans or no, as much as a good guy he is, that tells me he is unfit to host The Price Is Right.  I'm afraid to say both of those factors could possibly spell doom for the show.

Of course, I hope I'm dead wrong, but unfortuately, that's what I think is going to go down.
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

TheLastResort

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 05:24:03 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'204321\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 05:17 PM\']I predict a full-scale investigation on the show is going to launch very soon.[/quote]

LOL!  Care to make a side bet on that?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 05:37:15 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'204321\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 02:17 PM\']
First off, you can almost count on a justice department investigation on the showcase.
I predict a full-scale investigation on the show is going to launch very soon.[/quote]
You have absolutely not one friggin' clue as to what you are talking about.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 05:54:56 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'204321\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 05:17 PM\']
Of course, I hope I'm dead wrong, but unfortuately, that's what I think is going to go down.
[/quote]

Yes, you're dead wrong. The Justice Department has a few things that are more important than TPiR.

But you wouldn't be the first game show fan to lose perspective.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

rwalker

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 06:20:38 PM »
I hate to say it, but I believe this particular episode is going to mark the beginning of the end of The Price Is Right.  First off, you can almost count on a justice department investigation on the showcase.  I mean, NO ONE just pulls out $23,743 out of thin air and have it be the EXACT retail price, no matter what anyone says.  If I was the other showcase contestant, I would be screaming bloody murder for having been defrauded out of a $30,000-plus showcase.  I predict a full-scale investigation on the show is going to launch very soon.  Something fishy had to have been going on.  As for Drew's lackluster performance on the moment, shenanigans or no, as much as a good guy he is, that tells me he is unfit to host The Price Is Right.  I'm afraid to say both of those factors could possibly spell doom for the show.

[/quote]

Are we talking the likes of Stempel/Van Doren and 21?

AZAndrewG

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 06:37:27 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' post=\'204324\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 05:54 PM\']
[/quote]

Yes, you're dead wrong. The Justice Department has a few things that are more important than TPiR.

But you wouldn't be the first game show fan to lose perspective.
[/quote]

But if there WAS cheating going on, that means someone got screwed out of a $30,000 showcase.  That, in my opinion, calls for an investigation.  The quiz show scandals of 1959 led to a law making rigging a game show illegal, with violators subject to severe penalties.  All I'm saying is that the contestant, his friend, CBS and producers of TPIR  have some explaining to do to, at the very least, cover their asses.

I mean, think about it -- what are the odds of randomly calling out a bid of $23,743 and having it be right on the nose?  I think the odds of being struck by lightning are greater.
For fast, affordable web design, log on to

AMG Web Design

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'204331\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 03:37 PM\']
 The quiz show scandals of 1959 led to a law making rigging a game show illegal, with violators subject to severe penalties.  All I'm saying is that the contestant, his friend, CBS and producers of TPIR  have some explaining to do to, at the very least, cover their asses.

I mean, think about it -- what are the odds of randomly calling out a bid of $23,743 and having it be right on the nose?  I think the odds of being struck by lightning are greater.[/quote]You're confusing controlling the outcome by the hand of the producer and the contestant cheating by whatever means he chooses.

The two are not the same, and the fact that you cannot tell the difference between the two incredibly hurts your case.
Travis L. Eberle

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 07:01:48 PM »
First of all, not one entity involved has suggested the idea that the bid was made randomly. The contestant said he knew the prices, the audience guy said he knew the prices, and TPIR and CBS have not said anything.

Second, considering the taping stopdown that happened, along with the video edits and (what I assume was) an airing delay, I feel pretty strongly that TPIR and CBS have already thoroughly hashed out whether this could land them in any trouble . . . and if their lawyers had so much as blinked, we wouldn't be discussing this now because the show wouldn't have aired.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tpirfan28

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 07:14:16 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'204321\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 02:17 PM\']
First off, you can almost count on a justice department investigation on the showcase.
I predict a full-scale investigation on the show is going to launch very soon.[/quote]You have got to be kidding me.
I mean, think about it -- what are the odds of randomly calling out a bid of $23,743 and having it be right on the nose? I think the odds of being struck by lightning are greater.
I didn't find exact odds on lightning, but the worst odds (you getting hit) I saw were 1 in 280,000.  Assuming you're not an idiot, you would assume the Showcase is less than $100,000.  Ergo, a 1 in 100,000 chance of nailing the Showcase exactly (and the odds are really better than that).  Better odds to nail a showcase than get nailed by lightning.

/You lose.
//I'll get a "wow".
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:37:16 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 07:25:28 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' post=\'204331\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 03:37 PM\']
But if there WAS cheating going on, that means someone got screwed out of a $30,000 showcase.[/quote]
You have not one shred of evidence to defend your suggestion of cheating. Not one. We have SEEN some of the more ardent fans of the show. We KNOW it is absolutely possible that some of them stay in their parent's basement, hunched over their KFC Famous Bowl (I wonder how Zach's doing, anyhow?), long enough to memorize this information.

And let me throw one more point at you that, while I doubt it will get you to give up on this utterly idiotic notion, sure ought to: If there WAS some kind of impropriety going on (and there ISN'T, but stay with me here), what kind of abject MORON would get it exactly right, knowing the publicity that that would bring to their scam? If they were truly being sneaky (and, for the third time, they AREN'T), they'd miss it by $50 or so.

[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'204337\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 04:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'NOT clemon79\' post=\'204323\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 05:37 PM\']
I predict a full-scale investigation on the show is going to launch very soon.[/quote]You have got to be kidding me.[/quote]
I'll thank you not to attribute that quote to me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:25:41 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'204339\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 07:25 PM\']
I'll thank you not to attribute that quote to me.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm an idiot.  You had snipped that quote perfectly, and snipped the wrong lead quote tag.  Fixed in the original post.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 09:48:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'204337\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 07:14 PM\']I didn't find exact odds on lightning, but the worst odds (you getting hit) I saw were 1 in 280,000.  Assuming you're not an idiot, you would assume the Showcase is less than $100,000.  Ergo, a 1 in 100,000 chance of nailing the Showcase exactly (and the odds are really better than that).  Better odds to nail a showcase than get nailed by lightning.[/quote]
You know, for all the (quite justifiable) shots that will be taken at our latest conspiracy theorist, coming up with a proof that, in fact, his statement about being struck by lightning is verifiably false is one I wasn't expecting.  Well done!
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'204327\' date=\'Dec 20 2008, 06:20 PM\']Are we talking the likes of Stempel/Van Doren and 21?[/quote]
Let's be clear.  "We" aren't.  Only "he" is.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:49:18 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.