Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tattletales DVD Release Next  (Read 31421 times)

Eric Paddon

Tattletales DVD Release Next
« on: December 05, 2008, 05:06:56 PM »
Per David Levine of BCI at the Home Theater Forum, "Tattletales" will be the next G-T show to get some episodes released on DVD.

This could be a chance to see some episodes GSN never aired, because to my knowledge they *never* got to the end of the original CBS run at any point, and we never saw any from the night syndicated version that aired in the 70s.

I would hope that all the episodes they pick are from 74-78 since I never enjoyed the 82-84 ones much.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/sd-dvd...ext-bci-13.html

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »
In one way, this is a little surprising since Tattletales is hardly A-list Goodson-Todman product.  On the other hand, BCI believes that celebrities are what sell these packages, and they ought to be able to get some decent ones out of the series. (Though they'll have to work a little harder for big names than they needed to on Password.)

As for which version they show, I doubt that will be a consideration.  If they have access to the entire run, they'll just look for the biggest stars no matter what year those stars appeared.

Also, here's an early wish that an episode of He Said, She Said gets included in the mix!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:32:37 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Eric Paddon

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:13:37 PM »
If names is their first consideration, then I think at the very least we'll end up seeing these celebs:

William Shatner
Joan Collins
Zsa Zsa Gabor (with all of her marriages you CAN'T leave her out)

But if they wanted to pick episodes strictly for laughs I would start with Barbara Stuart's "Nixon" answer episode.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 06:29:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'202999\' date=\'Dec 5 2008, 06:13 PM\']But if they wanted to pick episodes strictly for laughs I would start with Barbara Stuart's "Nixon" answer episode.[/quote]This must be hilarious, because I don't recall seeing it on any clip special.

Anyone care to fill in the details?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 06:30:06 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Eric Paddon

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »
The question to the ladies was "If you could pick the centerforld for Playgirl magazine, who would you pick?"

Julie London and Rona Barrett both gave the answers their husbands predicted, Robert Redford.    Then it was Dick Gautier's turn to predict and he was looking dubious.

He stated that Barbara had zero interest in things like Playgirl, and would not say him (Dick).    And then Bert suddenly began promoting himself by flexing his muscles a few times.    Then finally, Dick said, "You know what I'll say?    I'll say Nixon!    She'd probably like to see him that way just for laughs."

The audience is reacting with dubious laughter and Bert is equally dubious that Dick would predict an off the wall answer like that, going "I can hardly wait to see her reaction when she finds out you said that."

Well....time to blink Barbara back.    She seems clueless because just as Dick said, she has zero interest in those kinds of things and then as if in desperation....."Oh, how about President Nixon?"

The audience reaction, Dick's reaction that she actually said it and Barbara's reaction that Dick had predicted that answer was uproarious and Bert had one of those, "That's INCREDIBLE!" moments.      It's my personal pick for the best moment on Tattletales that I've seen.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 07:46:39 PM by Eric Paddon »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:09:30 PM »
This could be a chance to see some episodes GSN never aired, because to my knowledge they *never* got to the end of the original CBS run at any point, and we never saw any from the night syndicated version that aired in the 70s.

They did air some episodes as late as the fall of 1977 around 1995.  During GSN's first year on the air, a lot of episodes hadn't been cleared yet, so they went from '74-77 quite quickly, and cycled back to the beginning again when they made their first major schedule change in January 1996.  They never kept it on the air long enough to get that far in the run again.  I think they might have aired some later episodes during the old "Wide World of Games" they used to have.

They've never aired any episode from the syndie version (I'd really like to see one...), but they did air pratically all of the '82-84 series.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

calliaume

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 10:28:26 PM »
The '80s run might yield some "Before They Were Stars" moments (Meg Ryan, for example, although she's quickly moving into the "After They Were Stars" territory).  But by and large, I've only got three people who rate in the "They Never Do Game Shows" category so far:  Sammy Davis Jr. did a week in 1975, Nancy Sinatra did a couple of weeks with her husband (he's since died), and Cheryl Ladd appeared with her first husband back in 1974 under her maiden name (Stoppelmoor), back when her biggest claim to fame was being the singing voice of Melody in Josie & The Pussycats.

I think they're going to have to rely on funny moments.  Or we're gonna see a lot of Betty and Allen.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 03:09:17 AM »
we're gonna see a lot of Betty and Allen
Or Charles and Dodi.

Or Dick and Dolly or Scoey and Claire.

/Don't know where that came from.

Speakin' of which, which if any of the Klugmans appeared on TT (probably early in the run)?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:10:09 AM by chris319 »

irismason42

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 03:12:40 AM »
They had aired the entire '80s revival of Tattletales but since 1997, GSN hasn't been able to air a full week of Tattletales beyond August 1982. I don't know when the black microphones that were also seen on Child's Play made its debut but I'm pretty it did make its debut before CP made its debut. As far as I can remember, GSN has only aired 1 episode from X-Mas week 1983 on every Christmas marathon they had with Tattletales being included, but I still don't know when the "Places, please" intro debuted but I think it debuted later in April 1983 at the same time as CP introduced the new "Turnabout" end game but Matt may have to confirm me about all of this.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »
Speakin' of which, which if any of the Klugmans appeared on TT (probably early in the run)?

TTBOMK, neither Brett nor Jack ever did "Tattletales".  I can't find any listing for them in old TVGuides, and GSN did run practically all of the first couple of years of the show and they never appeared.

GSN has never aired any of the Bob Newhart shows (most of them were quite funny) - I wonder if they'd be able to include a few of them in any DVD release - or would that fall under the same "clearance" clause?
NEW LOCATION!!!

tpirfan28

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »
I wonder if we'll see Bob and Dorothy Jo.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Fedya

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 11:30:41 AM »
calliaume wrote:
Nancy Sinatra did a couple of weeks with her husband (he's since died)
But did she go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like "I love you"?

{ducking}
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 11:31:29 AM »
It would be cool to see the night time version.  It wasn't cleared in my market, but all the ads I've seen in old TV Guides had everyone attired in evening wear (tuxedos and gowns).  Not sure if that was always the case, however.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 11:42:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'203035\' date=\'Dec 6 2008, 11:04 AM\']GSN has never aired any of the Bob Newhart shows (most of them were quite funny) - I wonder if they'd be able to include a few of them in any DVD release - or would that fall under the same "clearance" clause?
[/quote]
Wasn't there a similar clearance issue with Jack and Joan Benny on Password?  Their episode made it onto the DVD release.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »
Wasn't there a similar clearance issue with Jack and Joan Benny on Password? Their episode made it onto the DVD release.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the reason Jack and Joan's episode never aired on GSN due to a major glitch on the tape?
NEW LOCATION!!!