Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite "play-along" games  (Read 9602 times)

Jay Temple

Favorite "play-along" games
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 12:12:29 AM »
Most straight (or nearly-straight) quizzers qualify. If you like giving clues, most communication games do too. J! and Pyramid, especially the Winner's Circle, are tops in their respective categories.

I think I've solved more than one Wheel puzzle with no letters, but I only recall one, in the category Star & Role: DENZEL WASHINGTON AS MALCOLM X.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 03:49:51 AM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned the 2 venerable B & E game shows, The Joker's Wild & Tic Tac Dough.  Those are 2 that I can easily play along with.

As far as J! goes, I didn't get the J! Challenger back in the 90's.  But a few years ago when I was at my oldest niece's house, whenever there was a calculator lying around, I use that as my own personal "scorekeeper".  I added accordingly for right answers, subtracted accordinglly for wrong answers.  For the Daily Double, I made my own wagers based on my knowledge of certain categories.  Most of the time I didn't do too well, but one time I scored over $10K.  A great way to play along without the need for that Challenger thingy.

tpirfan28

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
I guess I have my head screwed on differently...I play along with Password and Pyramid, but to come up with clues.  I've always found it more fun to yell "SAY DONUT YA IDIOT" than to get the answers.

Jeopardy is my favorite play-along, tho.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 11:39:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'202878\' date=\'Dec 4 2008, 12:49 AM\']
But a few years ago when I was at my oldest niece's house, whenever there was a calculator lying around, I use that as my own personal "scorekeeper".[/quote]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/260684...7c891dd.jpg?v=0

People use calculators to do math. More at 11.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jumpondees

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »
I personally enjoyed playing along with Scrabble.  Before I had the sense of mind to save shows.  I'd videotape Scrabble on USA for when I came home from school, and I'd play along with the Sprint rounds by stopping my vcr when I thought I knew a word.  I'd try to get it before the contestant did.

Also for me, I liked playing along with JackPot!   I'd get a few right here and there back when I was young, but the majority of the riddles just went over my head.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 12:28:12 PM »
Seconded on SCRABBLE, but I'll add MATCH GAME to the list since no one else has.

/I could probably second a lot more than SCRABBLE, but why make this post longer than it really has to be?  It's not like I could add this realllllllly long slashie.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'202854\' date=\'Dec 3 2008, 10:25 PM\']Wow... how'd you get those with no letters showing?!  I've only gotten one with no letters, simply because it had three one-character words: "I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED."  Appropriate much?[/quote]
That's crazy, because that's one of the ones I recall getting with no letters as well. There have been a good handful of others (bear in mind that I watched the show religiously growing up and took great pride in solving puzzles impossibly early), but the only other one I can remember for sure at the moment was MICKEY MOUSE CLUB.

And coming up with clues was always play-along enough for me with Password and Pyramid.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Unrealtor

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »
Since every American format I play along with has already mentioned, I'll throw in a non-American one: "Countdown." It's not everyone's cup of tea, but, if finding a nine-letter word in SMYERLOEP gives you a thrill, then it's very entertaining.

/There is a nine there.
//But I probably wouldn't have found it those letters had come up.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 04:01:53 PM by Unrealtor »
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'202979\' date=\'Dec 5 2008, 12:55 PM\']
/There is a nine there.[/quote]
As lousy of a Scrabble player as I am, I'm pretty pleased with myself that I found an eight.

chad1m

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 04:03:44 PM »
I actually found the niner within about ten seconds, and I'm not the best at that kind of thing.

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »
LeXpert informs me that there are in fact two nines in there.

chad1m

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 04:07:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'202982\' date=\'Dec 5 2008, 04:05 PM\']LeXpert informs me that there are in fact two nines in there.[/quote]Does the other one need a hyphen, or is that not necessary?

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 04:12:54 PM »
Merriam-Webster seems to think that both with and without a hyphen are acceptable spellings.

alfonzos

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 04:23:29 PM »
I guess I have my head screwed on differently...I play along with Password and Pyramid, but to come up with clues.  I've always found it more fun to yell "SAY DONUT YA IDIOT" than to get the answers.
In an interview, Bob Stewart called these kind of games "Schmuck say games." You find yourself yelling at the screen, "Schmuck say...." then you scream out an answer.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 03:12:49 AM »
In an interview, Bob Stewart called these kind of games "Schmuck say games." You find yourself yelling at the screen, "Schmuck say...." then you scream out an answer.
Frank Wayne used to say the same thing.