Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite "play-along" games  (Read 9568 times)

Winkfan

Favorite "play-along" games
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
What do you think were best game shows that you can't help but play along at home with?

For me, it's a toss-up between Now You See It and Blockbusters. If you've ever played along with either of those two shows, you'd know what I mean.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'202819\' date=\'Dec 3 2008, 08:05 PM\']
What do you think were best game shows that you can't help but play along at home with?

For me, it's a toss-up between Now You See It and Blockbusters. If you've ever played along with either of those two shows, you'd know what I mean.
[/quote]
Pyramid...quite possibly the simplest show to play at home, without actually looking at the screen.

/The Passwords a close second
//Except when an announcer says "The password is..."
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
Trebek Double Dare is a good one, as long as you close your eyes for the few seconds they show the subject.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

William_S.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:47:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'202831\' date=\'Dec 3 2008, 08:33 PM\']
Trebek Double Dare is a good one, as long as you close your eyes for the few seconds they show the subject.
[/quote]
 Hell I just get a book or the remote and cover that part of the screen. Well any game is as much playable to me.  For Password, I try to think up of may clues for the words in the game.

calliaume

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
To Tell the Truth is excellent for this.

Password and Pyramid are good to play along if you like giving clues.  Which I do.

Oh, and The Money Maze.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »
The Dating Game.

/What?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:19:53 PM »
Pyramid.  When USA reran Pyramid back in the day, my sister and I would play the Winner's Circle, with one person's back facing the TV.

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:23:44 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'202821\' date=\'Dec 3 2008, 08:11 PM\']
Pyramid...quite possibly the simplest show to play at home, without actually looking at the screen.

/The Passwords a close second
//Except when an announcer says "The password is..."
[/quote]

Technology helps too...

In this age of DVRs, I've found playing along with "Jeopardy!" is more satisfying; there's typically 3-5 frames (1/10th to 1/6th of a second) between the point where the TD cuts to the 3-shot camera and the point where the first contestant's light goes on.  Forcing yourself not only to answer the question, but to pause the playback in that moment does add a nice touch of realism to playing along.

Sorta like what we did back when I was a kid--we had a giant clunky Junk Video Corporation top-loading VHS machine, which had a "special effects" mode.  And a wired remote with a freeze-frame button meant you could record "Press Your Luck" and actually play along on the big board.

Back in the day, when I first had DirecTV and got my first exposure to GSN, my DSS receiver had a program bar that would display at the bottom of the screen.  This being long before anyone had even thought about making menus glossy and transparent and fancy, this program bar was absolutely perfectly located to block both the clues on "Pyramid" and "Password Plus".  Much easier than holding my finger up in front of my eyes...

/Wired remote control...
//Those were the days
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

aaron sica

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »
WoF is always fun to play along with - I like to see how early into each puzzle that I can solve it. I've solved a few over the years with no letters showing  - "ACHILLES HEEL" at age 9 and later on in adulthood, "THE LAND OF OZ".

TPIR is also fun to play along with each pricing game, to guess which number it is.

chad1m

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'202846\' date=\'Dec 3 2008, 09:38 PM\']
WoF is always fun to play along with - I like to see how early into each puzzle that I can solve it. I've solved a few over the years with no letters showing  - "ACHILLES HEEL" at age 9 and later on in adulthood, "THE LAND OF OZ".

TPIR is also fun to play along with each pricing game, to guess which number it is.
[/quote]Agree. "CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION" and "THE BOB NEWHART SHOW" for me. And salsa is always $1.99!

Marc412

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »
How about Jeopardy!--one of the few we haven't mentioned yet?

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'202846\' date=\'Dec 3 2008, 08:38 PM\']
[/quote]
Wow... how'd you get those with no letters showing?!  I've only gotten one with no letters, simply because it had three one-character words: "I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED."  Appropriate much?

Back on-topic, I can find some weird reason to yell at the TV for any game show you can think of.  If there's a game show on, I'm used to getting weird looks from all sides...
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

DrBear

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 10:43:43 PM »
Of the more recent ones, Millionaire and Lingo are very nice for playing along. In the slightly older department, Family Feud works fine. Oh, and Concentration, which hasn't been mentioned on this board for five, maybe six posts.

/I tried playing along with The Dating Game once and got my face slapped.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »
Well, since everybody stole my games...

I like playing along with "That's the Question".
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:07:48 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'202861\' date=\'Dec 3 2008, 07:59 PM\']Well, since everybody stole my games...

I like playing along with "That's the Question".[/quote]I found that while I was housesitting over the last couple of weeks, that I was playing along with That's the Question and Camouflage. I still think they should have done something other than word scrambles to get to the question, but trying to figure out the question was a nice brain test.
Travis L. Eberle