Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $otC Closing Credits  (Read 2239 times)

Don Howard

$otC Closing Credits
« on: October 19, 2003, 09:20:33 PM »
I've wondered why during the final couple or three years of $ale of the Century, at the end of the show either Jay Stewart or Don Morrow would say, while the credits were scrolling, "$ale of the Century stars Jim Perry". It just seemed to be an odd pronouncement from out of the blue. Was this done because since the premiere of Scrabble, Jay Stewart or Charlie Tuna, while reading the list of closing messages would include "Scrabble starring Chuck Woolery" in his oral prose and Jim wanted his name mentioned during the final seconds also?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 09:20:57 PM by Don Howard »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
$otC Closing Credits
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 09:43:18 PM »
I've wondered why during the final couple or three years of $ale of the Century, at the end of the show either Jay Stewart or Don Morrow would say, while the credits were scrolling, "$ale of the Century stars Jim Perry". It just seemed to be an odd pronouncement from out of the blue. Was this done because since the premiere of Scrabble, Jay Stewart or Charlie Tuna, while reading the list of closing messages would include "Scrabble starring Chuck Woolery" in his oral prose and Jim wanted his name mentioned during the final seconds also?

While I don't know for a fact if that was the reason, it always seemed like a plausible enough reason to me that it was.

$otC did a lot of things differently in its closing credits as the years went by.  When NBC expanded their credits listings to include "Technical Manager" and "Manager, Staging Services" for its game shows, SALE was the last to add those particular credits.

As an aside, I always wondered why NBC was so reluctant to credit its camera operators (many of its Burbank-based shows, game or otherwise, never mentioned the cameramen except for possibly the final show of a series [and even that wasn't done until at least the final episode of GO!]).  The funny thing was that for the one LMaD7x show that taped in Burbank instead of at ABC, the four cameramen were named in the closing credits (granted, that particular episode was syndicated rather than on network, but many ABC shows by then had added cameramen to their credit lists).

I seem to recall bringing this up on Usenet at some point, but don't think anyone ever offered an opinion or some knowledge as to why "cameras" were (almost) never a credit at NBC (on the other hand, not all that many of my posts on Usenet ever warranted that much of a response ;) ).

Doug -- so I know nothing about football (given my classic Seahawks 50, Bears 7 prediction), sue me  :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 09:52:06 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
$otC Closing Credits
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 01:18:10 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 19 2003, 06:43 PM\'] Doug -- so I know nothing about football (given my classic Seahawks 50, Bears 7 prediction), sue me  :) [/quote]
 At least you got the winner right. ;)

(Five and one. Suck it, Trebek!)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe