Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show hosts on other shows  (Read 9101 times)

BillCullen1

Game show hosts on other shows
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »
I don't believe I saw these mentioned:

Allen Ludden & Betty White - The Odd Couple
Tom Kennedy - Hardcastle & McCormick
Richard Dawson - McCloud - grew a moustache for the role
Regis Philbin - Hope & Faith
Peter Marshall - WKRP in Cincinnati
Walter Cronkite - The Mary Tyler Moore Show
 - Walter hosted It's News To Me
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:25:58 PM by BillCullen1 »

gameboy2000

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 05:42:41 PM »
Donny Osmond, Joey Fatone and Vicki Lawrence have guest starred on "Hannah Montana." Bob Eubanks has appeared on "Kenan and Kel." Pat Sajak has appeared on "Adventures in Wonderland."
gameboy2000.weebly.com

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 02:10:47 PM »
I can add a couple others: Rip Taylor was a guest voive on an episode of What's New Scooby Doo? in 2002 and believe it or not Ruta Lee was the voice of a villian in the movie Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, the villain in that movie was a witch named Revolta.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:03 AM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'202159\' date=\'Nov 21 2008, 04:57 PM\']
Peter Marshall - WKRP in Cincinnati
[/quote]

Here's the WKRP Episode with Peter Marshall...
http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2008/03/wkrp-e...l-families.html

In the episode, Peter is the co-host of the show "Real Families" - kind of a show within a show.  This is a "restored" version (WKRP episodes were heavily edited for syndication and also for the recent DVD release due to music licensing issues) and also has Johnny Olsen as the announcer for "Real Families"-- a bonus!

As the blogger notes, this episode of WKRP was so unusual that many viewers didn't realize that it actually was WKRP...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:58:03 AM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

rugrats1

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'202159\' date=\'Nov 21 2008, 04:57 PM\']
Richard Dawson - McCloud - grew a moustache for the role
[/quote]

Wasn't Richard Dawson seen with a mustache when he was on Match Game, sometime before Feud debuted?

[quote name=\'irwinsjournal.com\' post=\'202344\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 09:54 AM\']
In the [WKRP] episode, Peter is the co-host of the show "Real Families" - kind of a show within a show.  This is a "restored" version (WKRP episodes were heavily edited for syndication and also for the recent DVD release due to music licensing issues) and also has Johnny Olsen as the announcer for "Real Families"-- a bonus![/quote]

Wasn't there another version in syndicated where Johnny Olsen was replaced with another announcer, due to the replacement of Real Families' theme?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:55:47 PM by rugrats1 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
[quote name=\'irwinsjournal.com\' post=\'202344\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 09:54 AM\']Here's the WKRP Episode with Peter Marshall...
http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2008/03/wkrp-e...l-families.html

In the episode, Peter is the co-host of the show "Real Families" - kind of a show within a show.  This is a "restored" version (WKRP episodes were heavily edited for syndication and also for the recent DVD release due to music licensing issues) and also has Johnny Olsen as the announcer for "Real Families"-- a bonus![/quote]
Oh my goodness, what a joy to watch that wonderful episode again.  And aside from the conceit of having the hosts interact live with the documentary subjects, everything about it played out very "real".  I vividly remember being initially confused as to exactly what was going on.

A spoof of reality television playing out like an episode of The Office sounds like a modern pitch, not something that was executed 28 years ago.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'202357\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 11:55 AM\']
Oh my goodness, what a joy to watch that wonderful episode again.[/quote]
I YouTubed a random one this morning, just to listen to that brilliant theme again. For my money, WKRP is one of the best TV sitcom themes ever written.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'202361\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 04:14 PM\']
I YouTubed a random one this morning, just to listen to that brilliant theme again. For my money, WKRP is one of the best TV sitcoms themes ever written.
[/quote]
Fixed, although I agree with your original statement. FWIW, I love the closing theme, in all its intentionally gibberish glory.

/In honor of the holiday, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly..."
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:52:07 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 05:44:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'202361\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 04:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'202357\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 11:55 AM\']
Oh my goodness, what a joy to watch that wonderful episode again.[/quote]
I YouTubed a random one this morning, just to listen to that brilliant theme again. For my money, WKRP is one of the best TV sitcom themes ever written.
[/quote]

Am I alone in the fact that I like the closing theme much better than the opening?

/Even if I can't understand what's being sung at first

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 05:47:17 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'202368\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 05:44 PM\']
Am I alone in the fact that I like the closing theme much better than the opening?

[/quote]
No. See above. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 05:50:48 PM »

Not @ all...in fact, there's a funny video on YT where someone provides animation for an equally nonsensical translation of the theme lyrics ("I wouldn't do it/If a poodle had a lid on!").

Of course, I'm in radio, so you can understand why I'm such a big fan. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The WKRP-Loving "Chuckie Baby")

tpirfan28

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'202370\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 05:50 PM\']

Not @ all...in fact, there's a funny video on YT where someone provides animation for an equally nonsensical translation of the theme lyrics ("I wouldn't do it/If a poodle had a lid on!").
[/quote]
Here ya go.

Agreed on the opening theme...that sucker's good.  Really good.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

aaron sica

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 07:49:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'202369\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 05:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'202368\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 05:44 PM\']

[/quote]
No. See above. :-)
[/quote]

I'm also not alone in people who don't read all of the thread before they reply too. ;)

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 01:45:29 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'202349\' date=\'Nov 25 2008, 12:55 PM\']
Wasn't there another version in syndicated where Johnny Olsen was replaced with another announcer, due to the replacement of Real Families' theme?
[/quote]

Yes, based on the comments posted by the blogger on the episode link I cited.

There is, somewhere on the net, a compendium of nearly all of the changes that were made from the first run of WKRP to the syndicated versions, including what songs were dropped, what songs were replaced with generic music, what dialogue lines therefore had to be redubbed, etc.

Ah, here it is:
http://members.allstream.net/~jacjud/wkrpmusic.html

And here's the commentary on the "Real Families" episode:
49. "Real Families"
The generic music that served as the "Real Families" theme is replaced
with different generic music. The announcer's voice is redubbed during the
replaced music (which is unfortunate, since the original announcer was
Johnny Olsen from "The Price Is Right").
  This episode seems to have most of its real music intact, but one
piece of music (playing as Bailey mentions Herb's "dancing ducks
promotion") sounds like it might be stock music.

Meanwhile, I believe I've seen multiple sources stating that there are no real lyrics to the end theme; i.e. it really is nonsense.  (If this is too obvious, I will award myself an Epic DUH.)  The opening theme by Steve Carlisle was released as a single. with additional lyrics, and became a minor pop chart hit.  (Why, of course I have that 45...)

Lest anyone think this is going too far off topic, may I mention that the first time I met David Zinkin, the conversation zig-zagged from radio to game shows (which is how I ended up here) to an extended discussion of WKRP.  It didn't hurt that there were a whole bunch of radio people in the room.

And Bailey Quarters (Jan Smithers) was probably the most underrated pretty woman on television at the time...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:48:02 PM by irwinsjournal.com »
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Fedya

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 02:39:09 PM »
I can add a couple others: Rip Taylor was a guest voive on an episode of What's New Scooby Doo? in 2002 and believe it or not Ruta Lee was the voice of a villian in the movie Scooby Doo and the Ghoul School, the villain in that movie was a witch named Revolta.
Speaking of Ruta Lee, I didn't realize until Monday night (when it aired again on TCM) that she's in Witness for the Prosecution, playing a woman who is very interested in watching the trial of Tyrone Power.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post