Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Few Thoughts About TPIR  (Read 26496 times)

chad1m

A Few Thoughts About TPIR
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'211305\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 10:05 PM\']If you want to know more, search my previous posts.[/quote]I did search and this is what I got, compiled from four of five posts:

[quote name=\''The Last Resort'\']He doesn't sing, he doesn't dance, he doesn't act, he doesn't direct, he doesn't play an instrument.  All he does is open his mouth and regurgitate the same lines year after year:  "Look at this incredible crowd!  Wow!  So many people!"  It doesn't take much talent to do that...[A list of "pioneers" and old-school hosts] are also vets who came from the old school of broadcasting, when radio and TV were live - you had to think on your feet and speak eloquently because there was no editing to save you.   None of them were super-talented, but they were genuine articles and pioneers in the industry, where Seacrest is basically an imitator at best. I just think it's a lot harder to do something when you're the first to do it.  To me, Seacrest is neither original nor groundbreaking, so I just don't get the appeal.  Maybe someday he'll prove me wrong, but IMO, he's just not there yet.[/quote]Sure, there will always be someone who is going to be the first to do something. But does that mean that, someone like a teacher won't have a difficult time performing his profession because there have been teachers for thousands and thousands of years?

And if Seacrest is indeed following in the footsteps of those broadcast legends before him by emulating and incorporating some of their styles, doesn't that make him someone who knows what he's doing because he studied the best?

Lastly, I'm not sure where this editing thing comes in. Excluding his old TV show and the Idol audition weeks, I don't think Seacrest often engages in anything that's not live, making his job even more difficult to do and showing how good he actually is when he's successful in doing it.

To me, your argument still pretty much boils down to "I don't like him."
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:19:53 PM by chad1m »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'211291\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 07:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211286\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 07:05 PM\']
I would appreciate it if my opinion wasn't instantly dismissed because someone doesn't agree with it.[/quote]So would others.
[/quote]

Really, Mark? Seriously? You dug up a post from four years ago to try and prove a point? Really?

That particular opinion, in addition to the Bill Cullen one you made, I dismissed because you had no actual backing for it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:20:51 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2009, 10:38:21 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'211300\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 09:34 PM\'] or did they set out for a pair that had the same chemistry as Ant & Dec in the UK version? [/quote]
I think that's exactly it.  Copy the successful show as much as possible.  Worked for Millionaire.  Heck, for Weakest Link they even brought the host over.  Once the American show was established and they realized they really didn't need an artificially paired Ant & Dec clone, they jettisoned the one with less talent.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

alfonzos

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »
Back on topic: I miss the cascading lights during the open. I guess the lights don't make any sense with two different screen formats in use now but the lights are better than the words on Chyron.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

tvwxman

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2009, 05:52:26 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'211300\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 09:34 PM\']
 Were they looking for a single person, but settled on a pair, or did they set out for a pair that had the same chemistry as Ant & Dec in the UK version? [/quote]
That's your answer. They tried to imitate EXACTLY what Ant and Dec were successful at. Didn't quite work, I believe, because Dunkleman A: Wasn't very personable with the contesti, and B: was unhappy with the 'co-host' role, and thought one season of AI would parlay into success like, well, what Secreast ended up with.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'211355\' date=\'Mar 27 2009, 05:38 PM\']Back on topic: I miss the cascading lights during the open. I guess the lights don't make any sense with two different screen formats in use now but the lights are better than the words on Chyron.[/quote]
I don't believe the HD conversion had anything to do with getting rid of the light border.

Millionaire81

« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'211365\' date=\'Mar 27 2009, 07:38 PM\']
I don't believe the HD conversion had anything to do with getting rid of the light border.
[/quote]

If it's not that, then it makes no sense to get rid of it.  What else would it be?

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' post=\'211367\' date=\'Mar 27 2009, 09:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'211365\' date=\'Mar 27 2009, 07:38 PM\']I don't believe the HD conversion had anything to do with getting rid of the light border.[/quote]If it's not that, then it makes no sense to get rid of it.  What else would it be?[/quote]
God, I hate it when I can't remember what has and hasn't been stated in public yet.

Let me put it this way:  What's usually been the explanation this year for things on Price that don't make any sense?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:48:03 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

TroubadourNando

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'211409\' date=\'Mar 28 2009, 08:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'Millionaire81\' post=\'211367\' date=\'Mar 27 2009, 09:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'211365\' date=\'Mar 27 2009, 07:38 PM\']I don't believe the HD conversion had anything to do with getting rid of the light border.[/quote]If it's not that, then it makes no sense to get rid of it.  What else would it be?[/quote]
God, I hate it when I can't remember what has and hasn't been stated in public yet.

Let me put it this way:  What's usually been the explanation this year for things on Price that don't make any sense?
[/quote]

Again, depends on who you ask, but I know *I* realize what you're getting at...