Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Few Thoughts About TPIR  (Read 26478 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
A Few Thoughts About TPIR
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211282\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 04:40 PM\']
I'm debating this whole "Seacrest good critics bad" vibe.[/quote]
I would imagine that said vibe comes from pretty much every single critic not being able to cite much more evidence aside from "He sucks."
And honestly, while I think he has some marketable talent, I don't believe he has as much as people seem to think he does.
And it appears you're our first volunteer. Would you care to back up your reasoning for drawing this conclusion?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheLastResort

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'211283\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211282\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 04:40 PM\']
I'm debating this whole "Seacrest good critics bad" vibe.[/quote]
I would imagine that said vibe comes from pretty much every single critic not being able to cite much more evidence aside from "He sucks."[/quote]

What about all the Seacrest fans who insist he has talent only because Dick Clark says so and he "keeps getting hired"?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'211283\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:52 PM\']
And it appears you're our first volunteer. Would you care to back up your reasoning for drawing this conclusion?
[/quote]

Okay, wiseass, here you go.

My first criticsm of Mr. Seacrest  is that, for a host, he doesn't have the presence like he should have. He doesn't command the stage like he's supposed to. He just blends in, and to tell you the truth it's like he's just there to be there.

Another criticism I have of him is that he's gone so far in his career based on convenience. He's not getting hired because of talent. He's getting hired because he's one of the last- well, actual emcees, for lack of a better term- around. To me it doesn't take much to host "American Idol," if we're basing it solely on his performance. Spare me the "it's harder than it looks." If he doesn't command the stage as well as he should be, then someone else could do the same job- and probably for a lot less money than they're paying him, too.

Another issue I have with him IS the overexposure making him have an appearance of great talent. Just because someone keeps getting hired, it doesn't automatically translate to that person having talent. At least not as much as people want to give him credit for having.

He's in TV, I'm not. I get it. But I watch TV, and I can see him. And if I don't like what I see from someone on TV it's my damn right to say it and I would appreciate it if my opinion wasn't instantly dismissed because someone doesn't agree with it.

I let you have your piece, so why can't I have mine, you know?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'211285\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:03 PM\']What about all the Seacrest fans who insist he has talent only because Dick Clark says so and he "keeps getting hired"?[/quote]
Well, that would be actual evidence, wouldn't it?  You can dismiss either one any way you like, but they are facts that back up an assertion.  "He sucks" is just assertion.

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211286\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:05 PM\']He's in TV, I'm not. I get it. But I watch TV, and I can see him. And if I don't like what I see from someone on TV it's my damn right to say it and I would appreciate it if my opinion wasn't instantly dismissed because someone doesn't agree with it.[/quote]
I'm sorry, is anyone denying you your damn right to say that Seacrest is a bad host?   You are certainly allowed to have your opinion, and others are allowed to have theirs, which include that they don't like yours.

You're also the first one to delve into name-calling.  I suggest treading a little more carefully.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211286\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:05 PM\'] I would appreciate it if my opinion wasn't instantly dismissed because someone doesn't agree with it.[/quote]It's not because it's your opinion, it's the fact that it's an overplayed opinion that usually offers little to no valid backup.
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211286\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:05 PM\'] I let you have your piece, so why can't I have mine, you know?[/quote]It's a discussion board and you're more than welcome to have yours, which I believe you just did.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:17:35 PM by chad1m »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211286\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 07:05 PM\']
I would appreciate it if my opinion wasn't instantly dismissed because someone doesn't agree with it.[/quote]So would others.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2009, 08:26:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211288\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 07:15 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211286\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:05 PM\']He's in TV, I'm not. I get it. But I watch TV, and I can see him. And if I don't like what I see from someone on TV it's my damn right to say it and I would appreciate it if my opinion wasn't instantly dismissed because someone doesn't agree with it.[/quote]
I'm sorry, is anyone denying you your damn right to say that Seacrest is a bad host?   You are certainly allowed to have your opinion, and others are allowed to have theirs, which include that they don't like yours.
[/quote]

Well, when I see statements like "it says more about you than it does about him" attached to someone's opinion on Ryan Seacrest, it doesn't convince me that people are always willing to listen to said opinions.

The problem that I have is not so much the disagreeing with my opinion. Freedom of thought is good, and free flow of opinions is great. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

What I do have a problem with is the continued inclination of certain member(s) of this forum using that disagreement to form opinions on both the person's intelligence and apparent worthiness to post here.

(And no, Matt, I'm not talking about you here.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:27:17 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TheLastResort

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211288\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 07:15 PM\'] [quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'211285\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:03 PM\']What about all the Seacrest fans who insist he has talent only because Dick Clark says so and he "keeps getting hired"?[/quote]
Well, that would be actual evidence, wouldn't it?[/quote]

No, actual evidence would be some display of talent - something I can see or hear.  So far I have yet to see or hear anything resembling talent from Mr. Seacrest.

chad1m

« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'211294\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:33 PM\']So far I have yet to see or hear anything resembling talent from Mr. Seacrest.[/quote]So, refute the argument - what are you seeing?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:38:50 PM by chad1m »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211293\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:26 PM\']Well, when I see statements like "it says more about you than it does about him" attached to someone's opinion on Ryan Seacrest, it doesn't convince me that people are always willing to listen to said opinions.[/quote]
Once again, that was in response to the comment that Seacrest has ZERO talent (again with the caps), something even you understood was wrong.  Words have meanings.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CarShark

« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2009, 09:34:20 PM »
I wonder what the producers were thinking when they paired Seacrest up with Dunkelman in the first season. Were they looking for a single person, but settled on a pair, or did they set out for a pair that had the same chemistry as Ant & Dec in the UK version? I'd find the latter unusual, since I think of hosting in America as a solo job.

clemon79

« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2009, 09:36:20 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211286\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 05:05 PM\']
Okay, wiseass, here you go.[/quote]
Yeah, this will end well.
My first criticsm of Mr. Seacrest  is that, for a host, he doesn't have the presence like he should have. He doesn't command the stage like he's supposed to. He just blends in, and to tell you the truth it's like he's just there to be there.
And you're entitled to that opinion, but not only don't I agree, I wonder what show you're watching. But that is a subjective opinion, and we are both entitled to assess it as we see fit.
Another criticism I have of him is that he's gone so far in his career based on convenience. He's not getting hired because of talent. He's getting hired because he's one of the last- well, actual emcees, for lack of a better term- around.
Words fail. Are you really arguing that he's the best in his field only because he's the only one in it?
To me it doesn't take much to host "American Idol," if we're basing it solely on his performance. Spare me the "it's harder than it looks."
No, you will not be spared that. Particularly because when you say
He's in TV, I'm not. I get it.
...you admit you are speaking from a lack of information.  
Just because someone keeps getting hired, it doesn't automatically translate to that person having talent.
"Just because people keep wanting to pay him to do a job, doesn't mean that he does it well." Isn't that the very definition of being good at your job? Whether you personally enjoy it is immaterial. It's your right not to enjoy it, of course, but as Matt said, "I don't care for him" and "he sucks!" are two VERY different positions.

I think Rush Limbaugh is a complete hypocrite and a blowhard. Listening to the content of his show makes my brain hurt. I am also continually awed by his talent as a broadcaster based on the success of his show. See the difference?
I let you have your piece, so why can't I have mine, you know?
I believe that is precisely what I invited you to do.

clemon79

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'211300\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:34 PM\']
I wonder what the producers were thinking when they paired Seacrest up with Dunkelman in the first season. Were they looking for a single person, but settled on a pair, or did they set out for a pair that had the same chemistry as Ant & Dec in the UK version?[/quote]
I'm guessing they thought part of the formula was the "hosting duo" thing before they started pulling numbers like a bingo caller on crystal meth and could afford to experiment a little.

TheLastResort

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2009, 10:05:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'211295\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 07:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'211294\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 08:33 PM\']So far I have yet to see or hear anything resembling talent from Mr. Seacrest.[/quote]So, refute the argument - what are you seeing? [/quote]

He's a puppet.  A hack.  An imitator.  If you want to know more, search my previous posts.  We've had this "discussion" over and over and over again.

J.R.

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'211291\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 07:22 PM\']So would others.[/quote]
Still need me to answer that page, Chris P.? ;)
-Joe Raygor