Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Few Thoughts About TPIR  (Read 26494 times)

MissesHolly

A Few Thoughts About TPIR
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
I remember when TPIR was funny(as in so funny that I laughed my head off)but that was when Bob was there but now; I don't understand Drew Carey's humor.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:13 PM »
[quote name=\'MissesHolly\' post=\'210731\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 03:26 PM\']
I remember when TPIR was funny(as in so funny that I laughed my head off)but that was when Bob was there but now; I don't understand Drew Carey's humor.
[/quote]

Sometimes I wonder if Drew Carey understands Drew Carey's humor.

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
Even during Bob's final years on the show, I felt the quality of the show was being compromised because of lack of time, and lack of quality sponsors.  By comparison, watching the old shows from the 70s on DVD, ALL the small prizes had sponsors, ALL the grocery items had sponsors, and there was much more time alloted for games and genuine fun and interaction.  Now it's so darn rushed, it takes away from the enjoyment of the game altogether.  Drew is not your cookie cutter game show host type, the way Bob was, or Wink was, or even Jim Perry, but I thought he was an ok successor.  I don't watch very often anymore, and I can't really watch online since I have dialup still (long story), but it does seem many of the good or fun games have been eliminated, and the showcases seem to be very similar.  They no longer seem "fabulous" like they once were.  I still miss hearing the snail mail ticket plugs and the mid-show bumper "Stay tuned for more pricing games, and the fabulous showcases, which are coming up on the 2nd half of The Price is Right!".  I suppose not only due to time constraints, but the fact that the showcases aren't so "fabulous" anymore, prevents them from being able to do that.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2009, 09:53:17 PM »
I obviously prefer the way things used to be too, but some things just change with the times. There's nothing you can do about some prizes not having sponsors or (more importantly) there being less time for the show.

Am I disappointed with how Drew's turned out? Yes. When I heard he was going to replace Bob I was an ardent supporter, even moreso once I saw him in action live at a Power of 10 taping. He's not horrible now - but he did go through a streak early this season where he was - but he hasn't fufilled the potential I thought he had.

In hindsight I would have given serious consideration to Michael Burger if it was up to me.

DrJWJustice

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »
Eh, I dunno.  Drew sure seems to be more hit and miss, but let's also remember he's only been there about a year and a half.  Barker had 35 years to get it right, and even then I think he should have retired about five years sooner.  That entire show revolved around Barker by the time he did call it quits -- I know, I'm preaching to the choir here -- and I'm with some of the previous posts that say whoever replaced Barker was going to be in for a rough ride.  

As for daytime TV about to change fundamentally, I think TV in general is about to change fundamentally.  We can TiVo shows, watch entire episodes for free on the Internet, and that's just for starters.  We're also past the days of the husband being the breadwinner and the wife being the homemaker.  We're in a day and age of two-earner households.  Lest we forget, game shows used to be designed so that people could just listen to them without watching and have some clue as to what was happening.  Supposedly, this was so that the busy housewife could do her chores without having to see the TV to know what was going on.  Today, he and she are both at work, and the kids are at school, so who's watching?  

I'll sum it up ... it's not entirely Drew.  He does need to get better, but you could put the perfect host in there  -- insert whomever you will in that blank --  and I don't think it would stop the decline.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:10:26 AM by DrJWJustice »

eday_2010

« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »
I think Drew is doing a good job. He seems to have a lot more fun doing the show than Bob. I like Drew's non-grumpiness. Some aspects could be better, but overall he's doing well.

There is just something else about the show that seems to be different/missing. Maybe it's the audience acting more insane than they used to, or its the set, or the newer games looking more modern. And some of the prize/product descriptions are so non-descriptive that they are of almost no use.

I do like that Rich Fields is being shown on camera, even doing the old school thing and showing him announcing the next contestant and having his image  zoom out into a box and move off the screen. I guess it was a Barker policy and not a Fremantle one that kept the announcers off camera.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
[quote name=\'wdm1219inpenna\' post=\'210769\' date=\'Mar 19 2009, 07:23 PM\']
I suppose not only due to time constraints, but the fact that the showcases aren't so "fabulous" anymore, prevents them from being able to do that.[/quote]You're joking, right?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Terry K

« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'201974\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 12:03 PM\']
He could fit it in his schedule if they do it everyday after his radio show either live or live-on-tape.
TPIR cannot physically be done live. It takes longer than one hour to tape a show. And, imagine the cost of using studio 33 five days per week. All that said, if Ryan were available he would be a welcome relief over Drew.
[/quote]

And Seacrest has ZERO talent.  Frankly, he needs to be off the air.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009, 06:27:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'211270\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'201974\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 12:03 PM\']
He could fit it in his schedule if they do it everyday after his radio show either live or live-on-tape.
TPIR cannot physically be done live. It takes longer than one hour to tape a show. And, imagine the cost of using studio 33 five days per week. All that said, if Ryan were available he would be a welcome relief over Drew.
[/quote]

And Seacrest has ZERO talent.  Frankly, he needs to be off the air.
[/quote]
I'd argue he has a little more than zero. He's definitely not cut out to be a game show host the way our heroes were, but in this age of television, he's a great asset in terms of the hosting skills he DOES have.

/I'll do it for you
//but in this age of television, he's a great asset in terms of the hosting skills he DOES have.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:32:40 PM by DoorNumberFour »
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'211270\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:12 PM\']And Seacrest has ZERO talent.  Frankly, he needs to be off the air.[/quote]
You know, you could have just said "I don't care for him."  If you were talking about a guy who got lucky and held onto one gig that worked despite his ineptitude, maybe there would be the smallest possibility of truth to your statement.  Maybe.  But this is somebody who's been hired again and again and again by a large number of different producers whose job it is to recognize talent and get the best person they can find.  To try and claim such a person has ZERO talent (I'm sure the caps make a difference) says a lot more about you than it does about him.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 06:51:59 PM »
You know, I'm getting really tired of people not willing to accept that people don't think that Ryan Seacrest has talent.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

tvwxman

« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 07:02:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'211273\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'Terry K\' post=\'211270\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:12 PM\']And Seacrest has ZERO talent.  Frankly, he needs to be off the air.[/quote]
You know, you could have just said "I don't care for him."  If you were talking about a guy who got lucky and held onto one gig that worked despite his ineptitude, maybe there would be the smallest possibility of truth to your statement.  Maybe.  But this is somebody who's been hired again and again and again by a large number of different producers whose job it is to recognize talent and get the best person they can find.  To try and claim such a person has ZERO talent (I'm sure the caps make a difference) says a lot more about you than it does about him.
[/quote]
Thank you. Can we cut and paste this everytime some kid gives us the "Seacrest Sucks" routine?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'211274\' date=\'Mar 26 2009, 06:51 PM\']
You know, I'm getting really tired of people not willing to accept that people don't think that Ryan Seacrest has talent.[/quote]
What you may or may not be tired of is not in any way important here.  Every day, on multiple television and radio venues, there is clear evidence that the young man does, in fact, have talent.  This is a simple, unassailable fact.  You may not like him.  You may hate his clothes, or how he looks, or the sound of his voice, or the way he pretends to be heterosexual.  I don't really care.  But in his chosen field of standing in front of a camera and/or microphone and talking to people, nobody gets to be THAT successful without some amount of talent, and truth be told, Seacrest exhibits a lot more than most.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:37:05 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BillCullen1

« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »
Maybe Ryan's not the best host on TV, but he certainly doesn't deserve to put in the same category with Louie Anderson and John Davidson. I don't think Dick Clark would turn the reins of his New Years' Eve show over to Ryan if he "sucked" that bad.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
I'm not debating whether or not he has talent.

I'm debating this whole "Seacrest good critics bad" vibe.

And honestly, while I think he has some marketable talent, I don't believe he has as much as people seem to think he does.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022