Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A Few Thoughts About TPIR  (Read 26498 times)

Steve Gavazzi

A Few Thoughts About TPIR
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'202061\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:14 AM\']I think Fremantle is seeing where picking from the Live! pool may have been easier.[/quote]
Just so everyone's clear, Fremantle and Price did not hire Drew.  CBS did.

[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'202073\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 12:06 PM\']I will then conclude by asking this then. If Drew, for whatever reason one could argue, doesn't deserve an extended time to get his footing at a 35 year long format, what other options are there? A new host? Switching so soon would only cause certain dissention, losing more viewers. Then, really, what's left but cancellation?[/quote]
I don't know if I agree with that...it seems to me that Drew is the reason the show is losing viewers right now.  The idea of another host change is risky, but at this point, getting rid of him could actually end up helping -- it would give the network an opportunity to advertise that the show was going back to its roots and away from this "new direction" that people apparently don't like very much.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 12:47:05 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

jalman

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202074\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:46 PM\']
I don't know if I agree with that...it seems to me that Drew is the reason the show is losing viewers right now.  The idea of another host change is risky, but at this point, getting rid of him could actually end up helping -- it would give the network an opportunity to advertise that the show was going back to its roots and away from this "new direction" that people apparently don't like very much.
[/quote]
What "roots"?

Also, who would be a bigger draw than Drew and would ensure to preserve the show as if it were the "good old days"?

CarShark

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2008, 02:14:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202074\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:46 PM\']Just so everyone's clear, Fremantle and Price did not hire Drew.  CBS did.[/quote]Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Back up the turnip truck. If Fremantle owns the show, don't they get final say as to who hosts or not? Has a network ever forced Mark Goodson to use a host he didn't want?

The problem is, Gavazzi, you (nor anyone else) can prove conclusively that the reason ratings are falling (if they are, which you also can't prove) is because people don't like Drew or his antics. You may not. Your friends may not. We don't know if the audience is. And what if the total ratings are going down, but they're growing in the targeted demographics? What then?

That is the difference. CBS continues to cut time from the show forcing shorter games to be played. I would love Credit Card, Check Out, et al to be played more often too -- but the fact is that by doing so, you've blown 5.5 minutes out of 27 available minutes to form a lineup.

Lineups started getting more "boring" thanks to less time for the show, something out of the Producer's control.
If Credit Card and Check-Out, which are supposedly two of the medium to longer games on the show, fill a third of the line-up with less than a third of the total time, it shouldn't be too hard to fill in the rest with at least two more interesting games. Is that figure including the two Showcase Showdowns?

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 02:23:49 PM »
In steve's defense, the ratings HAVE gone down since Drew Took over- however the last posted report was about 18% down, yet this was in the spring.

No official reports about the ratings this season have been posted yet.

/prove me wrong
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:24:43 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'202076\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 02:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202074\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:46 PM\']Just so everyone's clear, Fremantle and Price did not hire Drew.  CBS did.[/quote]Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Back up the turnip truck. If Fremantle owns the show, don't they get final say as to who hosts or not? Has a network ever forced Mark Goodson to use a host he didn't want?

[/quote]

I have a hard time believing that Mark Goodson chose Monty Hall to host BTC, seeing that both gentlemen owned competing game show production companies at the time.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:28:25 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CarShark

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2008, 02:41:21 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'202077\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 03:23 PM\']
In steve's defense, the ratings HAVE gone down since Drew Took over- however the last posted report was about 18% down, yet this was in the spring.[/quote]My point is: is the drop in ratings mainly because of the presence of Drew, or the lack of Barker? Unless you can parse that out, any conversation of ratings can't go anywhere. Besides, weren't ratings going down in Barker's last seasons anyways, until people heard that he was retiring and stormed to Studio 33 to see him "one last time"?

I've been trying to mention something earlier, but I keep forgetting. I am guessing that The View has been drawing more female viewers than ever because of their never-ending controversies. I am also guessing that The Price is Right is trying to fight back, which is why we've had quite a few designer items on the show. Coach purses, Jimmy Choo shoes, Gucci everything else. If so, it seems to me that the show could do itself a big favor by introducing a male model on the program. I'm not saying that doing so would mean instant winningness for TPIR, just that it's a option worth exploring.

And I'm still waiting for an answer from Gavazzi or CGJ about playing TP, GR and 3X first AND the "first half, second half" deal.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 05:04:24 PM by CarShark »

tpirfan28

« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »
[/quote]
"If you don't pick who we like, we'll cancel your show."

...at least that's how I gather it.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvmitch

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'202073\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 12:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'202046\' date=\'Nov 19 2008, 11:00 PM\']
Has this happened to Drew? I don't think so in the least. What initial case then could you be referencing?
Agree to disagree. I think it has. [/quote]
We shall. I don't think he's perfect, but I DO think he's doing fine, and has injected some new personality into the show.[/quote]
When Drew is at his best, he is a joy to watch - when he's at his excitable best, to me, he's the best emcee to come down the pike in the last 10-15 years.

Now, when he's phoning it in, he's almost painful to watch, because it seems like he doesn't care about what's going on, and his mind is on something else. That's what's most dangerous and jarring, that he doesn't have an emotional investment in the game.
You should follow me on Twitter

alfonzos

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:59 PM »
I wish Drew wouldn't get so emotionally involved in the contestants. Whenever someone loses the solitaire pricing event, Drew mumbles his way through the rest of the segment. The show goes on, dude!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

wheelloon

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2008, 06:19:32 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' post=\'202075\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202074\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:46 PM\']
[/quote]
What "roots"?
[/quote]

Returning champs and freezing your bids? A guy with a short haircut and glasses hosting?

Something about that last one, OH WAIT... ;)
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2008, 07:37:25 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, Price's ratings were holding steady before Barker announced his retirement and may even have been going up.  They certainly weren't declining.

[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'202081\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 02:41 PM\']And I'm still waiting for an answer from Gavazzi or CGJ about playing TP, GR and 3X first AND the "first half, second half" deal.[/quote]
Roger simply didn't like to play certain games in certain slots.  I believe some of the restrictions may have also had something to do with Bob, as some of them appeared to disappear during Season 36.

As for playing Triple, Strikes, and Road first...certain games, even though they are likely to be lost, have an excitement factor about them that makes up for that and makes them decent "first games."  It's in the Bag, with its numerous stopping points, low success rate, and not-that-huge top prize, just doesn't possess it.

And if you think that's a bad explanation...well, I agree.  There's just something intangible about this whole process that I don't really know how to put into words.

[quote name=\'jalman\' post=\'202075\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:45 PM\']Also, who would be a bigger draw than Drew and would ensure to preserve the show as if it were the "good old days"?[/quote]
I'm not expecting the host, whoever he would be, to be the draw.  The draw would be that the host wouldn't be Drew Carey anymore.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:40:01 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2008, 07:49:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202074\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:46 PM\']Just so everyone's clear, Fremantle and Price did not hire Drew.  CBS did.[/quote]Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Back up the turnip truck. If Fremantle owns the show, don't they get final say as to who hosts or not? Has a network ever forced Mark Goodson to use a host he didn't want?[/quote]

Surely you've heard of movie companies making the decisions on who should star in a movie?

tvrandywest

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'202106\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 04:49 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202074\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 01:46 PM\']Just so everyone's clear, Fremantle and Price did not hire Drew.  CBS did.[/quote]Waitwaitwaitwaitwait. Back up the turnip truck. If Fremantle owns the show, don't they get final say as to who hosts or not? Has a network ever forced Mark Goodson to use a host he didn't want?[/quote]
Surely you've heard of movie companies making the decisions on who should star in a movie?
[/quote]
You needn't look far to find an example of the network very strongly "suggesting" a host. Barker was CBS' choice over Goodson's pick, Dennis James. Goodson had control over the syndicated version and used Dennis for that after the network's Bud Grant championed Barker for the CBS version.

There's a book coming in the summer that captures ALL of this good history. More info to come!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
Just think, if Goodson had had his way, someone would have had to replace Dennis in 1997.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2008, 12:28:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202105\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 07:37 PM\']
To the best of my knowledge, Price's ratings were holding steady before Barker announced his retirement and may even have been going up.  They certainly weren't declining.[/quote]
No one's arguing that the rating haven't gone down.  The question is the reason.  One line of thought (which appears to be CBS's) is that without Barker, the show was doomed, and the only way to save it was to bring in a comedian with an entirely different sort of appeal. That may be completely off base, or it may not.  There's no question that it's alienated a lot of the faithful, but fans of Drew Carey who don't care one way or another about Barker probably also don't belong to online game show discussion groups.  We just don't know how well (or how poorly) the show would have done in the ratings with a status-quo replacement and no structural changes.

[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'202105\' date=\'Nov 20 2008, 07:37 PM\']And if you think that's a bad explanation...well, I agree.  There's just something intangible about this whole process that I don't really know how to put into words.[/quote]
I would suggest calmly to you that this is really a lot of the problem when we devolve into these back-and-forths.  This just really screams "because it's the way it's always been done".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.