Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime conflict in Chicago  (Read 3726 times)

uncamark

Daytime conflict in Chicago
« on: October 17, 2003, 05:25:19 PM »
This past Monday at around 10:57 a.m., for the first time in years WBBM viewers in Chicago got to see a clean, full-screen "TPIR" plug list instead of a squeezeback as an anchor promoed the 11 a.m. news (for the last few months, with Frank Gari's "Enforcer" arrangement of the famous Dick Marx WBBM news theme in the background instead of the "TPIR" theme).  That's because there's no news at 11 a.m.--"H2"'s on instead.

"H2" had moved to 6 p.m. from 4 p.m. last month to cover "WWTBAM"'s move to WGN.  However, this was temporary from the start--WBBM's general manager, who was at the helm at ABC-owned WLS in Chicago for many years, had poached anchor Diann Burns from WLS and wanted to put her in a new 6 p.m. newscast as soon as her contract with WLS ran out (she'd been pulled off the air on ABC7 since May, with the station still paying her).  Her WLS contract ran out on Oct. 1 and this past Monday, she began anchoring the new 6 p.m. show and the established 5 and 10 p.m. shows.  "H2" had to go somewhere, and luckily for us it was to 11 a.m. (replacing that newscast) instead of after-Craig Kilborn.  Considering that King World's repositioning the show as a daytime entry, that's not that bad of a move.

However, 11 a.m.'s "WWTBAM"'s air time on WGN--and the second run at 11:30 a.m. is still showing shows from last season.  Which means game show fans in Chicago have a lot of potential switching back-and-forth and alternating taping and/or PVRing to do.  All I ask is that the next millionaire on "WWTBAM" doesn't happen during Game Show Week 2 on "H2."

TheInquisitiveOne

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 10:00:20 PM »
I was wondering why there was no split screen at the end of TPiR this past Thursday. I usually look for the little skip that precludes the split screen. Thanks for clearing that up.

It would suck if the next Millionaire were to be placed along the same time period  as Game Show Week 2 on H2.

Wouldn't this be also the first time in years that The Price Is Right is being followed by an actual game show, as well?

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 01:03:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 09:00 PM\']Wouldn't this be also the first time in years that The Price Is Right is being followed by an actual game show, as well?[/quote]
You may be right--I believe the last game show at 11 a.m. on WBBM was "Trump Card" in the 1990-91 Syndie Q&A Bloodbath season.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 01:47:36 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 12:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 09:00 PM\']Wouldn't this be also the first time in years that The Price Is Right is being followed by an actual game show, as well?[/quote]
You may be right--I believe the last game show at 11 a.m. on WBBM was "Trump Card" in the 1990-91 Syndie Q&A Bloodbath season. [/quote]
 I don't think that's correct.  IIRC, WBBM aired Combs FEUD in the 11AM slot in 1991-92, then ran only the second half hour of FAMILY FEUD CHALLENGE in that same slot (not bothering to clear the first half hour) upon the expansion to the hourlong format.  

I don't think any games had aired in that slot since until H2.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dheine1971

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2003, 09:22:55 AM »
In the 1980's WBBM Channel 2 aired in the Monday through Friday 11 AM time slot the 4 PM Eastern nationally in most cities CBS daytime game shows "Tattletales", "Body Language", and "Press Your Luck". Other past game shows aired in the 11 AM time slot: "Home Shopping Game", "Crosswits" (David Sparks), "Lingo" (Not unlike the GSN version of today), "Truth or Concequences" (Larry Anderson), and "The Gong Show" (Don Bleu).

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2003, 10:35:10 AM »
[quote name=\'dheine1971\' date=\'Oct 21 2003, 08:22 AM\']In the 1980's WBBM Channel 2 aired in the Monday through Friday 11 AM time slot the 4 PM Eastern nationally in most cities CBS daytime game shows "Tattletales", "Body Language", and "Press Your Luck". Other past game shows aired in the 11 AM time slot: "Home Shopping Game", "Crosswits" (David Sparks), "Lingo" (Not unlike the GSN version of today), "Truth or Concequences" (Larry Anderson), and "The Gong Show" (Don Bleu).[/quote]
That is correct (and the CBS shows in that slot, interestingly enough, aired on a one-day delay).  But with all due respect, how does this add to the thread?  The question was whether WBBM aired any game shows since TRUMP CARD (1990-91) in the post-TPiR slot in Chicago prior to H2.  FF and the second half of FFC were, but I don't think any have aired since.  What aired in the 1980s is irrelevant (but then again, so are many of my own musings ;) ).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2003, 06:31:54 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 12:47 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 20 2003, 12:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 09:00 PM\']Wouldn't this be also the first time in years that The Price Is Right is being followed by an actual game show, as well?[/quote]
You may be right--I believe the last game show at 11 a.m. on WBBM was "Trump Card" in the 1990-91 Syndie Q&A Bloodbath season. [/quote]
I don't think that's correct.  IIRC, WBBM aired Combs FEUD in the 11AM slot in 1991-92, then ran only the second half hour of FAMILY FEUD CHALLENGE in that same slot (not bothering to clear the first half hour) upon the expansion to the hourlong format.  

I don't think any games had aired in that slot since until H2.[/quote]
Thank you for reminding me.  I guess I was thinking of only syndicated shows.