Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Year's Thanksgiving Marathons.  (Read 3431 times)

xavier45

This Year's Thanksgiving Marathons.
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:56:03 PM »
This year, GSN will celebrate Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday with two different marathons. Here is what they are planning.

On Thanksgiving day, they will air an all day marathon of Family Feud with John O'Hurley. The marathon will run from 9:00am-6:00pm. No word on what season it will be yet.

Then on Black Friday, GSN will air an all day marathon of Millionaire. Surprisingly, they will air all Regis episodes. I thought they would do one for Meredith since the show will be brand new on the network at that time. Maybe something will change by then. The marathon runs from 9:00am-6:00pm.

And, if you missed the Play it Back specials GSN did back in September, they will rerun them all on November 29th. They will air from 3:00pm-6:00pm.

Source: Buzzerblog
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:18:52 PM by xavier45 »

TroubadourNando

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 09:11:23 PM »
Nothing could match last year's excellent marathon, but O'Hurley Feud? Ugh.

At least Meredith Millionaire DIDN'T come along for the ride.

chad1m

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'200112\' date=\'Oct 20 2008, 09:11 PM\']At least Meredith Millionaire DIDN'T come along for the ride. [/quote]What exactly have ya got against her version?

TroubadourNando

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:11:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'200137\' date=\'Oct 21 2008, 09:51 AM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'200112\' date=\'Oct 20 2008, 09:11 PM\']At least Meredith Millionaire DIDN'T come along for the ride. [/quote]What exactly have ya got against her version?
[/quote]

Besides the fact I (seemingly alone) feel she's a completely ill-suited host for the show?

The fluctuation of the money tree and question difficulty making contestants work harder for less reward, and the tarting-up of the majority of the contestant pool to DoND levels. For starters.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:33:21 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'200187\' date=\'Oct 21 2008, 04:11 PM\']Besides the fact I (seemingly alone) feel she's a completely ill-suited host for the show?[/quote]Not alone, because I know of at least one person who shares your opinion. But you would be in the super-minority.

The fluctuation of the money tree
Really? The fact that the tenth, eleventh and twelfth questions are played for a bit less money is that troubling?

and question difficulty making contestants work harder for less reward,
You do realize that the show has to work within the confines of a budget, right? And that it's probably a good portion smaller than the network version one, right? And you realize that it starts to get old when everyone and his dog wins $125,000, it starts to get tired and old and Not Special Anymore, right?

and the tarting-up of the majority of the contestant pool to DoND levels. For starters.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, because I don't see this at all. Sure, they changed from the phone game, but I don't think that's entirely horrible.
Travis L. Eberle

TroubadourNando

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »
[quote name='TLEberle' date='Oct 21 2008, 09:33 PM' post='200206']
[quote name='TroubadourNando' post='200187' date='Oct 21 2008, 04:11 PM']Besides the fact I (seemingly alone) feel she's a completely ill-suited host for the show?[/quote]Not alone, because I know of at least one person who shares your opinion. But you would be in the super-minority.[/quote]

Sorry, I just don't see what people see in her. I find her dreadfully boring. *is reminded of "you won five hundred thousand dollars." on the Nancy Christy episode*

The fluctuation of the money tree
Really? The fact that the tenth, eleventh and twelfth questions are played for a bit less money is that troubling?

You split up my comment on this, which hinged on its second part:

and question difficulty making contestants work harder for less reward,
You do realize that the show has to work within the confines of a budget, right? And that it's probably a good portion smaller than the network version one, right? And you realize that it starts to get old when everyone and his dog wins $125,000, it starts to get tired and old and Not Special Anymore, right?

...if the prize money didn't change, I wouldn't care that the questions are much harder now. That's not even taking the rather harsh time limits instated this season into account.

And also, it starts to get tired and old and Not Special Anymore when they offer a grand prize that goes unclaimed for so long that it becomes obvious it likely never *will* be taken again.

and the tarting-up of the majority of the contestant pool to DoND levels. For starters.
I'm not sure what you mean by this, because I don't see this at all. Sure, they changed from the phone game, but I don't think that's entirely horrible.
[/quote]

The contestants I saw at the tapings I attended roughly a year ago (I was in the audience for three of the shows hosted by Billy Bush) horrified me. One couldn't stop talking about how she goes clubbing every night with her mother, and that was just about the only thing we ever learned about her.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:58:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'200206\' date=\'Oct 21 2008, 08:33 PM\']
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'200187\' date=\'Oct 21 2008, 04:11 PM\']Besides the fact I (seemingly alone) feel she's a completely ill-suited host for the show?[/quote]Not alone, because I know of at least one person who shares your opinion. But you would be in the super-minority.[/quote]

I believe you're counting me as the one other. And personally, I don't understand how anyone can find Meredith Vieira as even a competent host. It's fine when you're acting like you don't wanna be there in year one, but when it gets to year seven and it's still the same vibe, there's just a little something off-putting about that.

It's fine when you're doing news. It's downright bad when you've been hosting a game show for seven damn years and haven't changed your ways.

...the show has to work within the confines of a budget, right? And that it's probably a good portion smaller than the network version one, right? And you realize that it starts to get old when everyone and his dog wins $125,000, it starts to get tired and old and Not Special Anymore, right?

And when everybody struggles just to win $25,000, that doesn't bug you?

This has been a pet peeve of mine since they started doing this. I know you don't want to have everybody and their mother get six figures, but is there any good reason why a $16,000 question should be that difficult?

Nonetheless, though, the only thing (besides the guest hosts and certain GSF members being on said show) that even made the show at least somewhat still watchable was the fact that they didn't start tinkering too much with the format and kept what made Millionaire Millionaire intact. I know some contestants took too long to answer, but I don't believe it's entirely fair to only allow two minutes to answer a question because to me it just seems unnecessarily hardhanded.

I took a look at one of this season's episodes just to see. Let's just put it this way...I'm now an Inside the Box fan.

(I know I probably seem like a hypocrite, considering I tried out twice...but still. I watched in spite of the boring atmosphere. Now there's nothing to keep me interested. Over/under: 2 more years.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 03:15:06 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200221\' date=\'Oct 21 2008, 11:58 PM\']
(I know I probably seem like a hypocrite, considering I tried out twice...[/quote]
Yes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200221\' date=\'Oct 22 2008, 01:58 AM\']but is there any good reason why a $16,000 question should be that difficult?[/quote]As a viewer, I like to see a decent challenge...and asking "What is the capital of South Dakota"? would not fit that criteria.

On Jeopardy, earning $16,000 would take sweeping five categories and a couple of answers if you didn't hit the daily double. I absolutely think it is a reasonable expectation for a $16,000 to be mind simulating.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 11:15:05 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200221\' date=\'Oct 22 2008, 02:58 AM\']I believe you're counting me as the one other. And personally, I don't understand how anyone can find Meredith Vieira as even a competent host. It's fine when you're acting like you don't wanna be there in year one, but when it gets to year seven and it's still the same vibe, there's just a little something off-putting about that.

It's fine when you're doing news. It's downright bad when you've been hosting a game show for seven damn years and haven't changed your ways.[/quote]
Well, again, that may be how it appears to you, but overwhelmingly, others aren't seeing that.  Even those of us who don't think she's a great host still see someone who seems to be having fun doing her job, interacting with the contestants and not phoning it in.  If she really didn't want to be there, she's certainly had plenty of opportunities to step down.

Besides, why would it be fine to "act like you don't wanna be there" when you're doing news but not when you're doing a game show?  Seems to me a TV professional of any stripe wouldn't want to look like they didn't want to be on TV.
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200221\' date=\'Oct 22 2008, 02:58 AM\']
And when everybody struggles just to win $25,000, that doesn't bug you?

This has been a pet peeve of mine since they started doing this. I know you don't want to have everybody and their mother get six figures, but is there any good reason why a $16,000 question should be that difficult?[/quote]
Yes.  This is a syndicated television program with a finite budget much smaller than its prime time counterpart.  It ought to be hard to win $16,000 or $25,000, just as it's a challenge for someone to win that amount on most other syndicated shows.  The challenge is different on most other shows because you have to defeat other competitors to win, but the budgetary limitations are similar.  

(I know I probably seem like a hypocrite, considering I tried out twice...but still. I watched in spite of the boring atmosphere. Now there's nothing to keep me interested. Over/under: 2 more years.)[/quote]
Well, since you don't go so far as to call Meredith "unwatchable", at least you haven't lost the latest round of Words Have Meanings.  You watch in spite of the parts you don't like.  I don't find that to be hypocritical.  I do find the "over/under: 2 more years" to be a little snide, though.  Eight or nine seasons for a second-tier syndicated game show ought to be considered a success by any rational measure.  If it does happen to go off according to your timetable, it won't be because everybody suddenly woke up and saw what you've been trying to tell us all along.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:15:46 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TroubadourNando

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'200238\' date=\'Oct 22 2008, 11:15 AM\']
(I know I probably seem like a hypocrite, considering I tried out twice...but still. I watched in spite of the boring atmosphere. Now there's nothing to keep me interested. Over/under: 2 more years.)[/quote]
Well, since you don't go so far as to call Meredith "unwatchable", at least you haven't lost the latest round of Words Have Meanings.  You watch in spite of the parts you don't like.  I don't find that to be hypocritical.  I do find the "over/under: 2 more years" to be a little snide, though.  Eight or nine seasons for a second-tier syndicated game show ought to be considered a success by any rational measure.  If it does happen to go off according to your timetable, it won't be because everybody suddenly woke up and saw what you've been trying to tell us all along.
[/quote]

And renewed to what, 2011? It's a success by any sense of the word.

It's also a success I don't enjoy watching, much like O'Hurley Feud. Therefore I voted with my remote and do not watch.