Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF Canada week  (Read 2587 times)

opimus

WOF Canada week
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »
Does WOF Canada week satisfy it Canadian content law obligations ?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
WOF Canada week
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'199858\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 07:17 PM\']
[/quote]

Since Wheel is an American show, how does Canadian Content Law apply?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Kevin Prather

WOF Canada week
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:00:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'199859\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 05:28 PM\']
[quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'199858\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 07:17 PM\']
[/quote]

Since Wheel is an American show, how does Canadian Content Law apply?
[/quote]
Maybe this thing is on the fritz, but my sarcasm detector is going off.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
WOF Canada week
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:08:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'199862\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 06:00 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'199859\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 05:28 PM\'][quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'199858\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 07:17 PM\']Does WOF Canada week satisfy it Canadian content law obligations ?[/quote]Since Wheel is an American show, how does Canadian Content Law apply?[/quote]Maybe this thing is on the fritz, but my sarcasm detector is going off.[/quote]With the way they're shamelessly trotting out Canadian-themed puzzles this week, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw "A YUMMY PLATE OF FRENCH FRIES SMOTHERED IN GRAVY" as a CLUE puzzle.

/if they even have CLUE anymore.
//The category for our next round is WHAT ARE YOU EATING?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

WOF Canada week
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 10:21:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'199875\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 07:08 PM\']
/if they even have CLUE anymore.
//The category for our next round is WHAT ARE YOU EATING?
[/quote]
Reminds me of a gag WoF that Mike hosted in Palace. The category: ARE YOU GOING TO EAT THAT? The puzzle was two letters long: NO.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF Canada week
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:57:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'199862\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 06:00 PM\']
Maybe this thing is on the fritz, but my sarcasm detector is going off.[/quote]
You are giving the OP WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too much credit.

And since the show does air in Canada, CanCon rules would absolutely apply.

(and no, doing a "Canada Week" makes the show no more Canadian than it would be Norwegian during "Norway Week.")
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:45:54 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

saussage

WOF Canada week
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:17:46 PM »
[quote name=\'opimus\' post=\'199858\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 08:17 PM\']
[/quote]
While my Canadian content laws are fuzzy in my head, it doesn't really apply on the location of the show or what theme the show is displaying. In order to comply to Canadian content rules (I believe), either the host needs to be Canadian born or a citizen of Canada, or if the main host is American, Canadian sub-hosts, assistants or a Canadian production company would be needed to make it apply to Canadian content rules. I'm not sure if a combination of those criteria would be needed or if only 1 of them would suffice.

I do know that G4 TechTV hosted "The Lab with Leo" and before the series got canned, I do remember a conversation (possibly an online conversation or just browsing the newsgroup conversations) where G4 TechTV had to have certain Canadian content of their network in order for the Canadian branch of G4 (which Rogers has a slice) to comply Canadian content rules (I think it's something like 60% of shows shown on that network had to have Canadian content). The Lab with Leo had at least 2 criteria met: The production company was Canadian (Greedy Productions) and while the host was American born (Leo Laporte), the assistants of the show (one of them being Sean Carruthers) was Canadian born or a Canadian citizen. I do not recall the show being taped in Vancouver as being part of that criteria but it wouldn't surprise me if it would have been one; otherwise, why tape a show in Canada where they could do it for cheaper stateside. (edit: I did glance at clemon79's responce after I posted this, I guess this sounds like a stupid question but since the CBC started to air this show, is WOF taped on a different set now?)

I know the original comment may have been sarcastic, but while I a may not be a fan of Canadian content laws (I think there are better ways to implement it), maybe there were some on this board that had some interest in it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:25:25 PM by saussage »
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

JayDLewis

WOF Canada week
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:23:15 PM »
I believe CanCon applies to the entire channel, not necessarily particular programs.

Obviously, the CBC has a crap ton of other programming to off-set 1.5(?) hours of US programs.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

uncamark

WOF Canada week
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'199889\' date=\'Oct 16 2008, 10:23 PM\']
I believe CanCon applies to the entire channel, not necessarily particular programs.

Obviously, the CBC has a crap ton of other programming to off-set 1.5(?) hours of US programs.
[/quote]

And since Canada Week is part of a regular series made by the U.S. people for predominately U.S. consumption, it doesn't count.

The "DOND" Canada shows were meant purely for Canadian consumption and thus had to follow CanCon.

Ian Wallis

WOF Canada week
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 07:53:46 PM »
In order to comply to Canadian content rules (I believe), either the host needs to be Canadian born or a citizen of Canada, or if the main host is American, Canadian sub-hosts, assistants or a Canadian production company would be needed to make it apply to Canadian content rules. I'm not sure if a combination of those criteria would be needed or if only 1 of them would suffice.

I wonder if the rules changed from the '70s to the '80s.  Jim Perry is an American who was a Canadian resident at the time, hosted Definition, Headline Hunters and others for CTV.  I don't know if he ever had Canadian citizenship or not, but if he didn't, that would supposedly break the rules for a host or sub-host being Canadian.  When you consider Chain Reaction, Geoff Edwards is American also but they had to have that home audience game so the Canadian sub-host could be seen on camera, which wasn't present in Definition or the other shows Perry hosted.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF Canada week
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
*sigh*
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mbclev

WOF Canada week
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'199966\' date=\'Oct 17 2008, 07:53 PM\']
In order to comply to Canadian content rules (I believe), either the host needs to be Canadian born or a citizen of Canada, or if the main host is American, Canadian sub-hosts, assistants or a Canadian production company would be needed to make it apply to Canadian content rules. I'm not sure if a combination of those criteria would be needed or if only 1 of them would suffice.

I wonder if the rules changed from the '70s to the '80s.  Jim Perry is an American who was a Canadian resident at the time, hosted Definition, Headline Hunters and others for CTV.  I don't know if he ever had Canadian citizenship or not, but if he didn't, that would supposedly break the rules for a host or sub-host being Canadian.  When you consider Chain Reaction, Geoff Edwards is American also but they had to have that home audience game so the Canadian sub-host could be seen on camera, which wasn't present in Definition or the other shows Perry hosted.
[/quote]

I remember Jim Perry saying that his family settled in Portugal Cove, Newfoundland, in 1600, then his family moved to Nova Scotia where they lived for many years.  (A Definition contestant was going to move to Portugal Cove after his appearance on the show.)  This may have satisfied CanCon rules at the time.