Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So I finally got GSN  (Read 9232 times)

urbanpreppie05

So I finally got GSN
« on: October 17, 2003, 10:14:26 AM »
And here are my opinions-

I DON'T think the network will become the next G4.
I was watching quite a bit of it, and the VG promo was not promoted that much, in comparison to Millionaire, Elvira, and Cram. I just don't think it will be around that long. And if it is, so what? I'll just find something else to do with my time.

Cram, in my opinion, is a GREAT show. Funny Money, is not.

The classics still prevail more than the originals...even the "new" classics. Let's Make A Deal, Family Feud, Match Game, Newlywed Game, Pyramid, Wheel of Fortune, WWTBAM, Greed, Weakest Link....GSN is turning into a network to appeal to as many people as possible-not just a select few- so no Go, Bullseye, Break the Bank or Bumper Stumpers. So what if  some shows are showing the same seasons- having just got GSN, i haven't seen them-and because of my insane work/school schedule, I won't be able to watch every episode. BTW, one thing I have noticed that if you have seen all 150 of the 1988-1989 season of wheel...there's a problem.

The VG Block looks interesting, and I may watch it...but i don't know.

I am very glad to have GSN, and look forward to watching the shows in the future. I just wanted to state my two cents.
insert signature here

aaron sica

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2003, 11:46:07 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 09:14 AM\'] BTW, one thing I have noticed that if you have seen all 150 of the 1988-1989 season of wheel...there's a problem.
 [/quote]
 I'm hoping that when they get through all 150 shows (which of course, running them more often now, they should get through the season quicker), that they actually *do* go to a new season... Really wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Congrats on getting GSN, BTW - had it on my satellite service for nearly 7 years, and upon moving back with my parents, who only have cable, I can still keep up with it.

zachhoran

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2003, 11:53:51 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 10:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 09:14 AM\'] BTW, one thing I have noticed that if you have seen all 150 of the 1988-1989 season of wheel...there's a problem.
 [/quote]
I'm hoping that when they get through all 150 shows (which of course, running them more often now, they should get through the season quicker), that they actually *do* go to a new season... Really wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Congrats on getting GSN, BTW - had it on my satellite service for nearly 7 years, and upon moving back with my parents, who only have cable, I can still keep up with it. [/quote]
 It will take 39 weeks to get through the 1988-89 season of WOF if it does run Mon-Fri(the season is 195 episodes for Wheel)

urbanpreppie05

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2003, 12:07:21 PM »
Congrats on getting GSN, BTW - had it on my satellite service for nearly 7 years, and upon moving back with my parents, who only have cable, I can still keep up with it.

Thanks! Last week, Someone wrote on one of the posts that Time Warner of Akron/Canton was moving GSN down from Digital 105 to Analog 71 effective Monday. However, I emailed Time Warner...and they said no new channels were added or moved. Monday rolled around, I checked 71, and...nothing. Wednesday rolled around, and I tried some other channels, and lo and behold- Match Game was on channel 67!

I found this story to be interesting..y'all may not! :-)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 12:07:35 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

aaron sica

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2003, 12:43:36 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 11:07 AM\'] I found this story to be interesting..y'all may not! :-) [/quote]
 Well, you're talking to someone that, for years, at least once a day, scanned all the TV channels to see if there was anything new (and once in a blue moon, there would be)..

So yes, I find your story interesting :)

urbanpreppie05

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 12:51:40 PM »
Well, you're talking to someone that, for years, at least once a day, scanned all the TV channels to see if there was anything new (and once in a blue moon, there would be)..

This is sorta OT...but did anyone ever take their standard TV's (minus cable) and try to find over-the-dial stations not near you?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 12:51:59 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

Chelsea Thrasher

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2003, 01:10:10 PM »
Yup.  And I only get 2 channels that way (Due to living in a rural area).  a WB affil out of Knoxville TN, and a PBS affil out of Cookeville, TN that we got on cable anyway .

aaron sica

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 01:37:08 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 11:51 AM\'] This is sorta OT...but did anyone ever take their standard TV's (minus cable) and try to find over-the-dial stations not near you? [/quote]
 Yes, that's actually a hobby called TV-DX'ing.....I once got WBFF-45 out of Baltimore in that way...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
So I finally got GSN
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 01:48:36 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 11:51 AM\']

This is sorta OT...but did anyone ever take their standard TV's (minus cable) and try to find over-the-dial stations not near you?[/quote]
I live about 20 miles north of Chicago, and during certain conditions (mostly weather-related--I think [someone else here has probably got better insight]) I can pick up stations out of Milwaukee, South Bend, IN and/or Grand Rapids, MI (meanwhile, I can't get the alternate PBS affiliate out of Merrillville, IN).

Before the NFL changed its broadcasting rules to allow home markets to carry both halves of an NFL doubleheader (in certain conditions), getting those signals used to net me bonus games (sometimes they came in really clearly).  Now the occasions to get a bonus game are rarer, but every once in a while it'll still happen.

And to turn this back to game shows, WTMJ in Milwaukee was the closest station to me where I could pick up the nighttime syndie GONG in 1978 (at one point they also aired the NBC/Woolery run of WoF about an hour and a half after WMAQ in Chicago did).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
So I finally got GSN
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 11:51 AM\']

This is sorta OT...but did anyone ever take their standard TV's (minus cable) and try to find over-the-dial stations not near you? [/quote]
 We live in what I call a buffer zone.  That is, we automatically receive 2 feeds of CBS, ABC, and NBC due to our location.

How does one go about getting thse over-the-dial stations?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

urbanpreppie05

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 02:36:19 PM »
Hmm let's see...here's what I picked up over the years-
Remember, Akron is 35 miles south of cleveland

21 WFMJ-NBC Youngstown: Funny thing- i get 21 clearer on my over-the-dial TV then channel 3 in cleveland!
27 WKBN-CBS Youngstown: This is how I watch H2 on clear days...
7 WTOV-NBC Wheeling WV
4 WDIV-NBC Detroit

and one day...don't ask me how...but I got CBS 9 from somewhere in Michigan.
insert signature here

MikeK

• Martha!
So I finally got GSN
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 02:51:37 PM »
I'm about 10 miles northeast of Cleveland.  From here, I've gotten every channel out of Toledo (13, 24, 36, a few others whose numbers I don't recall); 2, 4, 7, and 50 out of Detroit; 23 in Akron (pre-PAX days, when it was WAKR, an ABC affiliate); and numerous channels out of Canada including CKCO-10 (CBC) out of London (which was also available by an old provider here in the late 80s), TV Ontario, Global, CTV, and a French-language CBC affiliate out of Toronto.

Making this game show-centric, I was able to see MG 90, Trivia Trap, and Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak out of Akron, TPiR at 4 PM Eastern from CKCO, and a slew of Canadian games including Talk About, Baloney!, and a few games "en francais".

I should hook up the ol' antenna and see what's out there now.  I haven't tried that in at least a decade.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
So I finally got GSN
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 03:59:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 01:08 PM\'] How does one go about getting thse over-the-dial stations? [/quote]
 Not to sound flip, but you need a TV without cable (the small black and white I have for doing this isn't even hooked up to an outdoor antenna [at least, I don't THINK it is]).  Then you just start at Channel 2 and start flipping around the dial.  Whatever you get, you get.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

joelvanderveen

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 04:48:26 PM »
Heh, what you guys are talking about is how we Canadians get any American stations at all! Most of the people in my area can pick up...

CHEX - CBC aff. - 12
???? - TVO aff. - 18
CIII - Global aff. - 27
???? - SRC aff. - 44
CFTO - CTV aff. - 54

If we fiddle around with the ol' rabbit-ears (or if you have a decent outdoor antenna), we can get CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, WB, and sometimes even PAX.

uncamark

So I finally got GSN
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 04:52:02 PM »
Back in my college days in the 70s when the only cable in dorm rooms was in the dorm lounges (and the DeKalb, Illinois cable system was just the Chicago and Rockford stations, public access, an NIU channel and a time-and-temperature channel), I used to pick up all sorts of stations, depending on what side of the building my dorm room was.  Got my only looks at the never-in-Chicago-or-Rockford Jack Narz "Concentration" and nighttime "Break the Bank" thanks to DXing, among other shows.