Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Writers Guild down on new Osbournes show  (Read 1461 times)

Matt Ottinger

Writers Guild down on new Osbournes show
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
Interesting Variety article, and even though there isn't a game show mentioned in it at all, you can definitely see the relevance.  Fremantle is trying to branch out, and they're finding their on-the-cheap, non-union ways aren't being received well outside their game/reality safe zones.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »
I'm curious...
Did the writers of American Idol return after the cessation of this year's strike?

And besides Sharon and her modest successes with America's Got Talent, I can't imagine why Fremantle would gamble their resources on something, I think, that has been "tired" for a good ROI.   Then again, I could be wrong.  :)

/Got tired of watching Ozzy and family's MTV stint after two years.
-Sanford

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
could be fined up to 100% of their compensation for that work
I wonder how this works. If you're fined 100% of your pre-tax compensation, but you're on the hook for the associated income taxes, then you're actually losing money -- and lots of it.

bttritle

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 11:09:14 PM »
It's about time that the WGA took a stand BEFORE a show went into production.  Hopefully there will be a noticeable effect that will lead the company to reconsider.

If there's no effect, then I'd be concerned for the WGA.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:10:13 PM by bttritle »

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 12:51:40 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'199315\' date=\'Oct 9 2008, 10:03 AM\']
I'm curious...
Did the writers of American Idol return after the cessation of this year's strike?[/quote]

"Idol"'s never been a union shop and has never had credited writers.  If the American version of "The IT Crowd" had gone forward, it seems to me that it would've been Fremantle's only WGA contract since "Idol" started (and even that show would've been co-produced by NBCU).