Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Game Name's the Same  (Read 7075 times)

Jimmy Owen

The Game Name's the Same
« on: October 16, 2003, 09:43:50 AM »
There are instances where a show will have a segment within the show that takes the name of another show. Examples "Blank Check" (now "Check Game") on TPIR and "Bullseye" on "Family Feud."  What are some other examples, if any?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 09:50:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 08:43 AM\'] There are instances where a show will have a segment within the show that takes the name of another show. Examples "Blank Check" (now "Check Game") on TPIR and "Bullseye" on "Family Feud."  What are some other examples, if any? [/quote]
 Bullseye of course is also a pricing game on TPIR, as is former game show title Pass the Buck.

Double or Nothing was a red category on Wink TTD in the 80s, and a 50s game show title with Bert Parks. Take Two was a Caldwell TTD category that's also a pricing game on TPIR. SHowdown was a 60s game show title, the original title of The Big SHowdown, and a Caldwell TTD red category.

zachhoran

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 07:46:40 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 08:50 AM\']
Bullseye of course is also a pricing game on TPIR, as is former game show title Pass the Buck.

Double or Nothing was a red category on Wink TTD in the 80s, and a 50s game show title with Bert Parks. Take Two was a Caldwell TTD category that's also a pricing game on TPIR. SHowdown was a 60s game show title, the original title of The Big SHowdown, and a Caldwell TTD red category. [/quote]
 It Takes Two was a game show title in 1969-70 and 1997 and was also a mini-game on High Rollers 1987-88.

Bob Zager

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 08:01:58 PM »
There was a 1960s show called Temptation with Art James before the pricing game on TPIR.

I believe Win, Lose or Draw initially called their "Speed Round," the "Lightning Round," which was better associated with Password.

There was Hot Seat--the show, and of course, they use that term on WWTBAM.

It's In the Bag was a title to a game show, IIRC from the EOTVGS.

That's all I can think of off-hand.

zachhoran

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 08:22:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 07:01 PM\'] There was a 1960s show called Temptation with Art James before the pricing game on TPIR.

I believe Win, Lose or Draw initially called their "Speed Round," the "Lightning Round," which was better associated with Password.

[/quote]
Bert called the final round on WLOD the Speed Round from the outset(the premiere week is currently re-re-airing in the 1PM slot), perhaps Vicki called it Lightning Round early in the run of her concurrent NBC version.

Temptation was a 1980 unsold pilot hosted by Jed Allan, not related to the 60s ABC show.

And Bob Zager and the Silver Bullet Band haven't released an album in eight years, and are on the ballot for the R&R Hall of Fame for 2004, or at least Zager himself is :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 08:27:27 PM by zachhoran »

Robert Hutchinson

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 08:29:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 08:43 AM\']There are instances where a show will have a segment within the show that takes the name of another show. Examples "Blank Check" (now "Check Game") on TPIR and "Bullseye" on "Family Feud."  What are some other examples, if any?[/quote]
Every game show of the last 25 years that's had some sort of Jackpot was taking the name of Mr. Edwards' show, which in turn was ripping off several earlier shows' segments.

Joker Joker Joker was a game show, and it was also the unofficial name of the special half-hour TPIR in 2004, also notable for losing 95% of its audience before the showcase.

(Silly? Me?)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

ChuckNet

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 09:13:20 PM »
Surprised no one mentioned Shopping Spree, a TPiR game that was also the name of a GS.

Also, there was an unsold 1985 GS pilot called Split Decision, which was also a TPiR game.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

beatlefreak84

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 10:37:56 PM »
Wasn't there a '50s show that used something called the "Wheel of Fortune" to give money to good samaritans, which, of course, lent its name to another famous "Wheel of Fortune."  BTW, is Chuck Woolery still hosting that obscure game show?  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

beatlefreak84

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 10:39:47 PM »
Oh, forgot two other things:

The final round on everybody's favorite game show "Peer Pressure," the "Pressure Cooker," which was also the name of a game show on Food Network.  How long was the latter on, anyway?  I can only remember it for a few months with some of the set pieces recycled for another game show (anybody remember what that was?).

This may be a stretch, but there was an event on "American Gladiators" called "Pyramid" that also matched a game show with a similar name, except the latter pyramid was worth money!  :)

Anthony
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 10:41:24 PM by beatlefreak84 »
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 11:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 08:13 PM\'] Surprised no one mentioned Shopping Spree, a TPiR game that was also the name of a GS.

Also, there was an unsold 1985 GS pilot called Split Decision, which was also a TPiR game.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
It seems to me that The Price is Right likes to use failures for their pricing games.  Next new pricing game:  Cop Out.  Your little patrolman must pull over prices on little carsthat are overpriced.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 02:11:05 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tommycharles

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2003, 11:21:47 PM »
Heading into left-field territory, but Aussie $otc calls (called?) their speed round Fast Money, something that the Perry version didn't do for obvious reasons.

brianhenke

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2003, 12:06:03 AM »
Chris Berman called the 90-second endgame of Boardwalk and Baseball's Super Bowl of Sports Trivia (1988; 1989) the Lightning Round, as well (and recently referred to a new segment on Sunday NFL Countdown as the Lightning Round).

Brian

Wary blue waters?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

uncamark

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2003, 04:05:25 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 09:39 PM\']The final round on everybody's favorite game show "Peer Pressure," the "Pressure Cooker," which was also the name of a game show on Food Network.  How long was the latter on, anyway?  I can only remember it for a few months with some of the set pieces recycled for another game show (anybody remember what that was?).[/quote]
"Taste Test," hosted by David Rosengarden, who also presides over the charter Food Network series "Taste."

sshuffield70

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 08:57:27 PM »
Zach, it's spelled SEGER!!! :) :)

zachhoran

The Game Name's the Same
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 09:05:13 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 07:57 PM\'] Zach, it's spelled SEGER!!! :) :) [/quote]
 I know it's Seger, but I was just doing a little joke about Bob Zager's similarly sounding name :)