Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password DVD Set Announced  (Read 22047 times)

vtown7

Password DVD Set Announced
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 08:35:25 AM »
Hi Chad - I've got a Password question for you...

Did everyone who was at the studio that day that you were taping get to play?  I remember reading that at Weakest Link, not everyone got on.  However, when I was at Wheel they specifically brought in two alternates.

If you're not allowed to say anything in disclosure, no problem.

(And OT: I stayed in a Super 8 this spring in Flint, it was quite nice).

Cheers

Ryan.

chad1m

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'197748\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 08:35 AM\']Did everyone who was at the studio that day that you were taping get to play?[/quote]No, sir. There were fourteen of us - eight got to play. No specific designations were made for alternates.

[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'197748\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 08:35 AM\'](And OT: I stayed in a Super 8 this spring in Flint, it was quite nice).[/quote]That shocks me to no end. =)

Sodboy13

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 05:35:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'197754\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 10:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'197748\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 08:35 AM\']Did everyone who was at the studio that day that you were taping get to play?[/quote]No, sir. There were fourteen of us - eight got to play. No specific designations were made for alternates.

[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'197748\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 08:35 AM\'](And OT: I stayed in a Super 8 this spring in Flint, it was quite nice).[/quote]That shocks me to no end. =)
[/quote]

Wow.  On my day, there were 24.  However, since mine was a Saturday and yours a Monday, I'm guessing they were able to get more "just-in-case" locals for my day.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

calliaume

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197637\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 05:41 PM\']
Off topic, but I also noticed on the page an ad for a 10th-anniversary release of the entire series of SportsNight.  The original boxed set was the first TV series I ever bought on DVD, and it doesn't seem that long ago.  One disc hasn't even been opened.  That one didn't have any features, the new one has tons.  This is how they get you, isn't it?
[/quote]
I'm going to say the second disk of Season 2 remains in the cellophane.
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'197641\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 04:57 PM\']
It's a completely different studio releasing the new set. Buena Vista did the original DVD set ages go, in TV DVD's infancy.  The new DVDs are being done by Shout! Factory, and while I don't have my DVD review for it done yet, I can definitely say it's an absolutely awesome DVD set. If you like the show enough to own the DVD set, my advice would be to unload the old set and get the new one - it's light years better.
[/quote]
Buena Vista didn't even want to release a DVD set of SportsNight, from what I've read -- I believe Aaron Sorkin had gotten it into his contract or something, and made them do it.  They drew the line at features, however, and I'm pretty sure that the Disney folks were shocked with that box set became a huge seller (relative to the show's ratings, which were never good).

That aside, I'm with Matt -- this is exactly how they get you.  If it's not this, it's sticking every season into a big honking monster box set, throwing in a few things not on the original single-season releases, and putting it back out again.  If you haven't bought any of the single-season releases, it's a bargain, otherwise it's a huge chunk of change to buy a set of DVDs where you own 97 percent of what's on them already.  And I'd love to unload the old SportsNight set, but who's gonna buy one without these extra features at this point?

The one thing I can recommend is, if you've got patience, wait a bit.  Prices on most DVDs, whether they're single-disk movies or box sets, usually drop a bit after they've been on the market for six months (yes, that same DVD that was $19.99 at Target nine months ago is now about half that, right?).  The exception seems to be the Disney animated classics, which are constantly in and out of print -- those you might as well get first week of release.

(Rant mode off.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 06:28:05 PM by calliaume »

dale_grass

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »
The same thing happened to me with the Bond series.  I had 14 of the 20 on individual DVDs when they hit us with the four-volume collector's set.

\Anyone need a once-viewed copy of The Spy Who Loved Me?

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'197748\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 08:35 AM\']
(And OT: I stayed in a Super 8 this spring in Flint, it was quite nice).
[/quote]
I stayed at one in Marietta and yet another in Kent and still another in New Philadelphia. Loved 'em every one.
YOU are awesome and you know why. Bless you for what came for me in today's mail.
Back to topic now. This announcement is happy unexpected news. I wonder if there'll be a special feature on there with insights on the show from Betty White and possibly Tom Kennedy. Either way, the countdown to December 2nd is on.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 11:57:27 AM by Don Howard »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 12:03:50 PM »
still another in New Philadelphia.
Was this the one that's attached to the Holiday Inn?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:04:24 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

Don Howard

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'197966\' date=\'Sep 23 2008, 12:03 PM\']
[/quote]
Was and is. And Super 8 was considerably less expensive.
ObGameShows: The 11am checkout time allowed us to watch Temptation in its entirety.
ObTopic: Love how there's a crew-cutted Allen Ludden on the cover.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:10:48 PM by Don Howard »

cheersgifoltc

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 09:05:09 PM »
Amazon has it up on their site now with some cover art changes.

tpirfan28

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »
Thirty-two episodes from 1962-1967.  "The CBS Years".

Damn. (in a good way)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 10:43:50 AM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

geno57

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up!  Mine's on pre-order.

Tim L

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'197972\' date=\'Sep 23 2008, 02:08 PM\']
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'197966\' date=\'Sep 23 2008, 12:03 PM\']
[/quote]
Was and is. And Super 8 was considerably less expensive.
ObGameShows: The 11am checkout time allowed us to watch Temptation in its entirety.
ObTopic: Love how there's a crew-cutted Allen Ludden on the cover.
[/quote]

Wife and I stayed at the Super 8 in Kent for part of our Honeymoon (1992) to the Now-Former Sea World/Ohio and the old Geauga Lake Amusement Park..We thought it was pretty nice.  Incidentally, we spent some time at the Old Delphian Inn in New Philly later that week while visiting some friends.  It was being converted into a Days Inn then-Torn Down now, from what I hear..

On Topic-The Password set sounds nice..should probably pick it up when it comes out..
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 09:09:18 PM by Tim L »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
Thirty-two episodes from 1962-1967. "The CBS Years".

Sounds like some daytime color episodes will likely be included.  It will be interesting to see if they're the full-length versions, or the edited for syndication versions GSN has aired.

Does anyone know if the full-length versions of the color season still exist, or are the edits all there is?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 11:52:53 PM »
I believe all of the color daytime episodes are edited down permanently and that the cut footage was discarded way back when.    Full length B/W kinescopes exist for some of the episodes (and for the 1967 color nighttime shows which were also cut-down for the syndication package) but not in original color.

Pyramid80

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2008, 09:57:50 AM »
Per David Levine....who works for BCI posted this information on the Home Theater Forums.  The set will consist of the following:

Sure. It goes a little something like this:

DISC ONE:
Carol Burnett, Gary Moore
Betsy Palmer, Dick VanDyke
Pat Carroll, Johnny Carson
James Mason, Jane Fonda
Joan Benny, Jack Benny
Anne Bancroft, Robert Goulet
Joan Crawford, Barry Nelson
Olivia DeHaviland/Anthony Perkins

DISC TWO:
Betty White, Jack Parr