Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password DVD Set Announced  (Read 22150 times)

Eric Paddon

Password DVD Set Announced
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:54:53 PM »
TV Shows On DVD, has the info on BCI's Password DVD release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Password-The-Best-Of/10546

The box art interestingly uses the ABC era logo on the side.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
THIS I might have to pick up...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'197630\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 01:54 PM\']
The box art interestingly uses the ABC era logo on the side.[/quote]
Sure they do. It's the most eye-catching and recognizable of the logos they used.

It would be nice if the set was focused on the 70's Password era, but I'm pretty certain I know better.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Pyramid80

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:39:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'197630\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 03:54 PM\']
TV Shows On DVD, has the info on BCI's Password DVD release.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Password-The-Best-Of/10546

The box art interestingly uses the ABC era logo on the side.
[/quote]
I think the box art looks nice!  Maybe there'll be an ABC era episode on there.  Wonder if Betty White will be doing any commentaries or anything for this set?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197633\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 05:22 PM\']It would be nice if the set was focused on the 70's Password era, but I'm pretty certain I know better.[/quote]
We can always cross our fingers for something out of the ordinary, but conventional wisdom is that there aren't any more than a tiny handful of 70s episodes even available.  Further, for all the props we should be giving BCI for doing these sets in the first place, it doesn't appear that they're trying really hard to uncover anything that would knock our socks off.

Still, as long as we're asking, the final episode of Password All-Stars is probably one of my favorite single episodes of a game show ever, and the combination of Betty White, Richard Dawson, Bill Bixby and Hal Linden isn't bad as far as star-power goes.  Collectors have it, so it has to be in somebody's vault.

Off topic, but I also noticed on the page an ad for a 10th-anniversary release of the entire series of SportsNight.  The original boxed set was the first TV series I ever bought on DVD, and it doesn't seem that long ago.  One disc hasn't even been opened.  That one didn't have any features, the new one has tons.  This is how they get you, isn't it?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:48:46 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 05:45:15 PM »
I'm giving them props for actually remembering (it seems) that Password actually began before 1979.  If the DVD set was just those early eps, that would be absolutely awesome in my book.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:50:56 PM »
We can always cross our fingers for something out of the ordinary, but conventional wisdom is that there aren't any more than a tiny handful of 70s episodes even available. Further, for all the props we should be giving BCI for doing these sets in the first place, it doesn't appear that they're trying really hard to uncover anything that would knock our socks off.

Agreed.  I'm happy that these game show sets are being produced - but it would be nice for one rarity in each package (such as one of the existing ABC episodes GSN didn't air!), but even if that doesn't occur, I'll definately pick this one up.

Collectors have it, so it has to be in somebody's vault.

That's something I've wondered about for years.  We know that some of the episodes in the trade curcuit come from early VCR copies, but there are a number of shows out there that seem to be from studio masters.  One example is the final episode of The Better Sex, or probably that Showoffs episode that's been floating around.  I guess we don't know for sure that GSN doesn't have them, but you'd think they would have aired them by now if they did.  One of The Better Sex episodes they've aired on multiple occasions.  Seems strange if they have others sitting there.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197637\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 05:41 PM\']
Off topic, but I also noticed on the page an ad for a 10th-anniversary release of the entire series of SportsNight.  The original boxed set was the first TV series I ever bought on DVD, and it doesn't seem that long ago.  One disc hasn't even been opened.  That one didn't have any features, the new one has tons.  This is how they get you, isn't it?
[/quote]

It's a completely different studio releasing the new set. Buena Vista did the original DVD set ages go, in TV DVD's infancy.  The new DVDs are being done by Shout! Factory, and while I don't have my DVD review for it done yet, I can definitely say it's an absolutely awesome DVD set. If you like the show enough to own the DVD set, my advice would be to unload the old set and get the new one - it's light years better.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 06:29:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197637\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 02:41 PM\']
Further, for all the props we should be giving BCI for doing these sets in the first place,[/quote]
Ya know, I would, but they keep pumping out product with technical problems, don't they? Really, how hard is it to master a DVD that works reliably?
Oh yeah. I'm still a little chafed that Clerks, one of the very first DVD's I owned and really pretty feature-rich in its own right, came out with an up-the-bucket three-disc release to celebrate the 10th anniversary.

/only a little, though
//it's not like buying an iPod Touch a month before the new ones are announced
///Been meaning to get Sports Night
////60 bones street price (likely) is a little steep tho
/////$40.26 at DeepDiscount, though? Tempting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 06:31:02 PM by clemon79 »

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 07:20:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197646\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 06:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197637\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 02:41 PM\']
Further, for all the props we should be giving BCI for doing these sets in the first place,[/quote]
Ya know, I would, but they keep pumping out product with technical problems, don't they? Really, how hard is it to master a DVD that works reliably?[/quote]Has TPIR had any tech problems?  I know of the MG's disc 4 problems.
//it's not like buying an iPod Touch a month before the new ones are announced
Exact same thing happened when I picked up the first-gen Nano.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 07:29:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197646\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 06:29 PM\']
////60 bones street price (likely) is a little steep tho
/////$40.26 at DeepDiscount, though? Tempting.
[/quote]
Remember, though, that you're buying two season sets at the same time with this set. Per season the cost works out to $20.13 at the DeepDiscount price.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 07:29:46 PM by Seth Thrasher »

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'197652\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 04:29 PM\']
Remember, though, that you're buying two season sets at the same time with this set. Per season the cost works out to $20.13 at the DeepDiscount price.[/quote]
Sure, and it's less than a buck an episode. I was more weighing the overall expenditure of $40, though. $60 or $70 would have been a lot to consider, especially considering NHL 09 and Rock Band 2 both came out this week and I'm going on vacation to CA second week of October. $40, somewhat less so.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 12:35:49 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'197651\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 07:20 PM\']
Has TPIR had any tech problems?  I know of the MG's disc 4 problems.
[/quote]
Just one that I've spotted, and it's a minor one; the audio goes a little nuts in the final seconds of the episode from 3rd Anniversary Week.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'197639\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 05:50 PM\']That's something I've wondered about for years.  We know that some of the episodes in the trade curcuit come from early VCR copies, but there are a number of shows out there that seem to be from studio masters.  One example is the final episode of The Better Sex, or probably that Showoffs episode that's been floating around.  I guess we don't know for sure that GSN doesn't have them, but you'd think they would have aired them by now if they did.  One of The Better Sex episodes they've aired on multiple occasions.  Seems strange if they have others sitting there.[/quote]
You'd be surprised what REAL collectors -- those that have 16mm prints and original (or pretty close to it) studio masters -- might have in their attics and garages.  Remember that before GSN, even before home video, hardly anybody saw an aftermarket for any of those old shows.  A staffer or a VERY well-connected fan might easily have found access to video that networks and producers didn't think at the time was any big deal.   Probably didn't happen a lot, but that's one possible explanation for some of those studio masters that have ended up in circulation without necessarily showing up on GSN.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chad1m

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 01:23:51 AM »
I'm still waiting for Fremantle to comp me this and the new box game. =P

Seriously, though, I'll definitely pick it up. Such an intelligent lil' game.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:24:30 AM by chad1m »