Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another TPIR Change  (Read 31112 times)

Jimmy Owen

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 06:04:37 PM »
Why not just use art cards?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Shell

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 06:10:39 PM »
What's wrong with a complete overhaul set, and everything of TPIR?  I mean they've already done a 180 by hiring Drew Carey who brings as much excitement to the game as George F. Will.  The show looks tired, dated, and needs a complete fresh look.  Whether it's a green screen, or computer monitors, or whatever, TPIR needs whatever it can to spruce it up because right now we all wish Barker was still at the helm.  Carey is out of place.  I'd love to see a new set, new host, and a whole new show, not just a cheesy makeover of Barker's show which almost looks like a send-up of it's former self.

TroubadourNando

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 06:16:39 PM »
My only gripe is that this must look fugly in-studio. To a home viewer, it could be used for good effect. A cheaper way to emulate a video wall, perhaps?

/not surprised to see this at five pages, and realizes he probably doesn't want to see their contents

tpirfan28

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 06:46:49 PM »
I wonder too if the skins started to look really bad in HD.

And if the green door #3 is a problem, why can't they swap doors 1 and 3...1 isn't used much anyway, and they have the two primary doors to use the technology for...and it keeps the reveals and games the same way.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Veejay7

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 07:39:43 PM »
I just don't get it.   If the producers want this kind of display-- why not just replace door #1 with a video wall.

In default-mode you could make the wall "look" like the other two doors-- so you don't have radical changes to the venerable set.  

Then you could use the video wall to reveal trips, use it for showcase backgrounds, and even use it in some score displays like the showcase showdown, or, heavens, even Lucky Seven.    Door #1 is barely used during a typical PRICE because there's not much room behind it.  

I think it would add a new dimension to Price-- though it might some heads to 'splode for those who still think cars should be $3,250.

joker316

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 08:31:13 PM »
Not to start a new argument, but I posed a question on an older thread that I wish to ask again (based on all of the posts so far).

If, when Barker retired, and CBS cancelled TPIR only to revive it say two years later with Drew as the host and all of these changes, would any of us be as apoplectic about the changes?

Or would we have accepted it as a "new beginning" for TPIR?
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

urbanpreppie05

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Shell\' post=\'197235\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 06:10 PM\']
What's wrong with a complete overhaul set, and everything of TPIR?  I mean they've already done a 180 by hiring Drew Carey who brings as much excitement to the game as George F. Will.  The show looks tired, dated, and needs a complete fresh look.  Whether it's a green screen, or computer monitors, or whatever, TPIR needs whatever it can to spruce it up because right now we all wish Barker was still at the helm.  Carey is out of place.  I'd love to see a new set, new host, and a whole new show, not just a cheesy makeover of Barker's show which almost looks like a send-up of it's former self.
[/quote]

You may be in the minority here. There is a growing number that like the fact that the show is making changes that move forward and look backwards...and a host that doesn't make it all about him.
insert signature here

Robert Hutchinson

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »
Staying well away from all the expected back-and-forth.

Dave: I think maybe they had players in Contestants' Row more for picture-taking purposes than anything else. Still, this seems like a very weird theme episode.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197250\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 10:56 PM\']God, Steve, are you completely incapable of hearing dissenting opinion?

I'll answer that: yes. You are.[/quote]
I'd like to point out why this statement hinders your argument, but that's not the topic.

But yes, green screen; good for budget and tv (to a point), bad for studio audience.  The tangibility of the art card does detract from the experience (though I have to wonder if they'll just be showing art card-type stills) both on tv and in person, just like how the video-screen bonus games lose points.

As an aside, if Price was so worried about green-on-green, couldn't they just use a blue screen instead?

/Thought he saw a purple screen once.
This signature is currently under construction.

Matt Ottinger

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'197251\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 11:22 PM\']/Thought he saw a purple screen once.
[/quote]
I'll have what you're having.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2008, 12:04:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197252\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 11:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'197251\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 11:22 PM\']/Thought he saw a purple screen once.
[/quote]
I'll have what you're having.[/quote]
I figured as much.  Must've been my headache talking.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:04:41 AM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Craig Karlberg

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008, 04:29:13 AM »
Not to get into the frey as with other threads of similar ilk, I think the change is good for budgetary purposes & affect, but it'll cause many to reconsuder wearing anything of that shade if it gets to be a production problem.  The change may be alright, but it'll come off as bizzare to those attending the show.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:30:44 AM by Craig Karlberg »

BrandonFG

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'197245\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 08:31 PM\']
If, when Barker retired, and CBS cancelled TPIR only to revive it say two years later with Drew as the host and all of these changes, would any of us be as apoplectic about the changes?
[/quote]
Considering the audience that Price still pulls, I think two years would still be a recent memory. I remember there being a little fuss when Feud premiered back in 99, with the set and music changes, and it was five years since the more familiar version of Feud* went off the air. So there might be many viewers (both casual and avid) who might wonder just exactly what is going on.

Now, had the show ran for, say, 5 or 6 years, then I wouldn't see any big deal. If Hollywood Squares or Pyramid returned tomorrow with a massive overhaul, I don't think anyone would notice. But 36 years with only moderate set upgrades and mostly the same props? Yeah, someone would notice, and not just in the game show contingent.

*Combs's last season...I know Dawson v2.0 came in the following season, which is why I said "more familiar version".

As for this change, I'm really not bothered. Yeah, I like the traditional artwork, but it's not like the show has never done this. And yes, the Dobkowitz Tribute showcase heavily relied on a chromakey, as did that showcase with Johnny Olson as a superhero.

/What, you think they bought all those fireworks themselves?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:52:07 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »
[quote name=\'MYosua\' post=\'197232\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 05:54 PM\']Although the keying isn't that great, it was a nice effect because the blue screen served as a world map (with a marker at the location of the trip) in addition to presenting the art cards with images of the destination.  The photos from that hockey-themed showcase show the current green screen to be solid green, so it looks like there it will be used in a more straight-forward manner.[/quote]
Yeah...that's a pretty neat effect with the blue screen, but not at all comparable to what's being done today.  Actually, I'd say the '70s version is a much better idea.

Mike Tennant

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197268\' date=\'Sep 15 2008, 01:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'MYosua\' post=\'197232\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 05:54 PM\']Although the keying isn't that great, it was a nice effect because the blue screen served as a world map (with a marker at the location of the trip) in addition to presenting the art cards with images of the destination.  The photos from that hockey-themed showcase show the current green screen to be solid green, so it looks like there it will be used in a more straight-forward manner.[/quote]
Yeah...that's a pretty neat effect with the blue screen, but not at all comparable to what's being done today.  Actually, I'd say the '70s version is a much better idea.
[/quote]
I liked it too when I saw it on the DVDs.  It provides something to see in studio (and on camera when the footage isn't being keyed in) while still allowing for the chroma-key effects.  It has to be more visually appealing for those in the studio than a plain green screen.