Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another TPIR Change  (Read 31055 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »
The slightest change on TPIR and Gavazzi and ClockGameJohn are instantly turning into Chicken Littles. Again.

Why am I not surprised in the least?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 03:20:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197198\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 11:57 AM\']
Congratulations.  You now sound exactly like Mark Odor.[/quote]
...and a whole lot of other people who are also openly mocking the Chicken Littling that has been stereotypical of the G-R userbase.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2008, 03:26:40 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197203\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 02:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197198\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 11:57 AM\']
Congratulations.  You now sound exactly like Mark Odor.[/quote]
...and a whole lot of other people who are also openly mocking the Chicken Littling that has been stereotypical of the G-R userbase.
[/quote]

This just in to CNN...
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

ClockGameJohn

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197202\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 03:18 PM\']
The slightest change on TPIR and Gavazzi and ClockGameJohn are instantly turning into Chicken Littles. Again.

Why am I not surprised in the least?
[/quote]

I merely pointed out some of the flaws.  There is no spilled milk in my kitchen, I assure you.

Fedya

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 04:16:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197195\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 02:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197184\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 10:12 AM\']
I just very much hope they don't institute a forced reaction shot (retaped or whatever) if it continues to be a problem.[/quote]
I would *love* to see that. God, if you think some panties are wadded *now*...
[/quote]
I don't normally watch TPIR, but this is the one part of your post that really perplexes me.  Are you simply being a contrarian here?  The impression I've gotten is that a lot of the posters here don't like the forced reaction shots and retakes on all the Endemol shows, so I can't imagine why anybody would like it any more on TPIR.  I can't help but think there are some folks here would would get happy seeing the right people get their knickers in a twist.  (I'll admit, however, that I know there are times over on the TCM boards that I feel like being a contrarian.  If you think there's a lot of kvetching here, it could be much worse.)

To be honest, my first impression would also have been to ask about whether contestants wearing green would be a problem regarding the ChromaKey, but I would hope the producers considered that.

My other thought was that if all the audience saw was a green screen, they might have a more muted reaction.  But considering how they go nuts over the flats, that probably wouldn't happen.  Of course, I also think that a more muted reaction from the audience wouldn't be a bad thing.  :-)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:18:08 PM by Fedya »
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'197208\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 04:16 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197195\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 02:24 PM\'][quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197184\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 10:12 AM\']I just very much hope they don't institute a forced reaction shot (retaped or whatever) if it continues to be a problem.[/quote]I would *love* to see that. God, if you think some panties are wadded *now*...
[/quote]I don't normally watch TPIR, but this is the one part of your post that really perplexes me.  Are you simply being a contrarian here?[/quote]
Of course he is.  That's all he does in any discussion about Price -- shout down anybody who tries to put forth the prevailing opinion of the Golden-Road crowd without even bothering to consider that it might have some merit.  And the same goes for PYLdude and Mark Odor -- there are days I swear that's the only reason they even come here.

And I've gotta be honest -- it bugs the crap out of me.  I don't enjoy coming here very much when all I end up doing is explaining the finer points of running a game show to people like Lemon who have freaking worked in broadcasting and by all logic should understand it better than I do.

Matt Ottinger

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2008, 04:28:08 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197207\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 04:06 PM\']I merely pointed out some of the flaws.  There is no spilled milk in my kitchen, I assure you.[/quote]
Speaking IN MY ROLE AS A MODERATOR I completely agree with this assessment.  John and Steve may, fairly or unfairly, have gotten a reputation around here as TPIR apologists, but all John did was point out some fairly small but very real reasons why using a green screen presents certain production challenges, challenges I frankly hadn't considered.

Far worse in this thread, in my opinion but still IN MY ROLE AS A MODERATOR are the completely unprovoked "OH NOES" AND "OH MY GOSH!!!" and anything else you guys think is funny to write in all caps.  And THAT is all that Steve was responding to.

If you have some legitimate criticism or defense of the issue at hand, you are certainly free to express it.  But if all you want to do is belittle the opinions of others even before they've had the chance to express them, you will not be doing it here much longer.  I have had it with people who think taking cheap shots at TPIR superfans in general is a way to make a point.  It is not, as the next person to do it will learn.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'197208\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 01:16 PM\']
I can't help but think there are some folks here would would get happy seeing the right people get their knickers in a twist.[/quote]
"Happy" is a strong word, but yeah, my comment was illustrating just how tired I am of the TPiR fanb0i contingent shiatting a pickle every time the least little thing changes. To the point where I'm willing to sacrifice the #1 game show on daytime television to express my annoyance.

clemon79

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2008, 04:32:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197210\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 01:27 PM\']
shout down anybody who tries to put forth the prevailing opinion of the Golden-Road crowd without even bothering to consider that it might have some merit.[/quote]
Well, when I *did* consider it, and posted why I thought the argument *didn't* have merit, all I got was ranted at.

Mind you, I don't care if you want to rant at me, but, you know, intelligent discourse goes two ways.

/"no you didn't blah blah blah"

Chelsea Thrasher

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »

MTCesquire

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »
TPIR used to use a blue screen for their trips back in the early years before the hour-long extension.

Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:40:12 PM by MTCesquire »

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'197216\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 04:39 PM\']TPIR used to use a blue screen for their trips back in the early years before the hour-long extension.[/quote]
Does anyone have video of that or know of any shows on the DVD set where it was done?  I'd like to see it.

davemackey

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'197188\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 01:42 PM\']
Some of you really need to unwad your panties and question whether you should be caring as much as you are.  If Rodger was making these changes, would the reaction be the same?  Something makes me think its more about that than anything else.
[/quote]
Mark, you really hit it on the head. It seems the show is only being scrutinized closer because Roger isn't in charge any more.

But what's up with those hockey players playing the game? We got pseudo-celebrities now? Hmm...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
Would the use of a blue screen he mentions perhaps be similar to those "Salute" showcases, where they pried open the picture of who was being saluted to reveal a green screen? The contestants had a monitor to watch during the Showcases, as did the audience, so this didn't kill the reaction at all.

ClockGameJohn's incredibly apt points aside, I can see where this new way to do trips has its benefits. Not having to manipulate so much huge art and/or create new huge art would save time and money I'm sure. But on face value, this doesn't scream incredibly cheesy to anyone? It was like when they faked in prizes/used a video wall on Billy Bush's LMAD. Part of the thrill is seeing your prize onstage. Even if it's just a huge hunk of plywood that says "FRANCE" with some pictures on it, it's still what you're playing for.

It would be like the players shopping solely from that list on the old Wheel, and inserting shots of the "stores" in post to save studio time. Logically? A safe maneuver, cost effective, and one I don't exactly disagree with. But are people around here so entrenched to NOT dislike a change on TPIR that we turn around and herald the ones that are bad? My view is that it stinks, and takes away from the "old school feel" of the show, but logically speaking it makes sense and won't ruin the show. Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this.

-Jason
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 05:21:36 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

MYosua

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197220\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 04:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'197216\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 04:39 PM\']TPIR used to use a blue screen for their trips back in the early years before the hour-long extension.[/quote]
Does anyone have video of that or know of any shows on the DVD set where it was done?  I'd like to see it.
[/quote]
Show 0573D from the DVD has a trip to Scandinavia.  Here are a few screenshots:

http://www.yosuamedia.com/misc/TPiR/TPiRBlue01.jpg
http://www.yosuamedia.com/misc/TPiR/TPiRBlue02.jpg
http://www.yosuamedia.com/misc/TPiR/TPiRBlue03.jpg
http://www.yosuamedia.com/misc/TPiR/TPiRBlue04.jpg

Although the keying isn't that great, it was a nice effect because the blue screen served as a world map (with a marker at the location of the trip) in addition to presenting the art cards with images of the destination.  The photos from that hockey-themed showcase show the current green screen to be solid green, so it looks like there it will be used in a more straight-forward manner.