Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Weekday WoF and J! on GSN  (Read 6745 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Weekday WoF and J! on GSN
« on: October 13, 2003, 12:51:03 PM »
What season of Wheel and Jeopardy is GSN currently airing weekdays?  I'm guessing they're staying in the same seasons as the weekend run.  Any assistance is appreciated.

catnap1972

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 01:24:19 PM »
Yep, both started with the premieres from the same seasons.  Thus far, LMAD has been the only "it's new to you" series.

HSquares2003

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 02:23:14 PM »
When will GSN get a friggin' clue? Gessus, they just don't understand do they?

catnap1972

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 02:45:08 PM »
At the very least, it seems sad that they can't even get a different season of their "flagship" shows (ie WoF and J!) without a major hassle or (seemingly) expense.

davemackey

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 05:36:21 PM »
The WOF is the wretched 1988-1989 season, with M.G. Kelly as new announcer (today we had the first show in which Pat paid tribute to Jack Clark).

I think J! is the 1997-1998 season. Not exactly sure, since I was in the kitchen making pancakes.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 05:52:02 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 05:36 PM\'] The WOF is the wretched 1988-1989 season, with M.G. Kelly as new announcer (today we had the first show in which Pat paid tribute to Jack Clark).

I think J! is the 1997-1998 season. Not exactly sure, since I was in the kitchen making pancakes. [/quote]
 Season premiere, '97. Ugh.

whampyl03

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 07:29:21 PM »

I really don't have nothing against the '97 season, but after seeing it in '97, and about 2 times more on GSN, it's gets a bit boring.  The purist in me says it's time to pull out some '84-'90 eps, But I'd settle for a diffrent year as well.  Last time I checked, there still getting them for free from Sony, so would it be that big of a hastle? (Correct me if I would be wrong.)

sshuffield70

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 07:35:25 PM »
GSN does this all the time with all the shows (save for the MG3).......running the same 150 eps of the same shows.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 08:09:41 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 06:35 PM\'] GSN does this all the time with all the shows (save for the MG3).......running the same 150 eps of the same shows. [/quote]
 No, they don't.  They do it with the shows they are apparently leasing.

Brandon Brooks

HSquares2003

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 08:35:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 08:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 06:35 PM\'] GSN does this all the time with all the shows (save for the MG3).......running the same 150 eps of the same shows. [/quote]

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 Then, if you want to nitpick, how about they LEASE A DIFFERENT YEAR OF SHOWS? Oh wait, that costs money, something Bob Boden won't spend for sure. We are lucky that he even bought Millionaire.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 08:37:54 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 07:35 PM\'] Then, if you want to nitpick, how about they LEASE A DIFFERENT YEAR OF SHOWS? Oh wait, that costs money, something Bob Boden won't spend for sure. We are lucky that he even bought Millionaire. [/quote]
It's not a nitpick... the statement just wasn't true.

And that is definitely your opinion that we are "lucky" to have Millionaire.  I really don't care to watch it that much, and would rather they show more of what they have.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 08:51:59 PM by Brandon Brooks »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 02:16:54 AM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 06:29 PM\']

I really don't have nothing against the '97 season, but after seeing it in '97, and about 2 times more on GSN, it's gets a bit boring.  The purist in me says it's time to pull out some '84-'90 eps, But I'd settle for a diffrent year as well.  Last time I checked, there still getting them for free from Sony, so would it be that big of a hastle? (Correct me if I would be wrong.) [/quote]
I believe that ever since Liberty bought their portion of Game Show Network, Sony has been charging GSN for the library product.

And I also, do not particularly care for, nor welcome "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" to the lineup.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 02:17:20 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 09:07:01 AM »
At the very least, it seems sad that they can't even get a different season of their "flagship" shows (ie WoF and J!) without a major hassle or (seemingly) expense.

This doesn't make sense to me.  When they lease even a small portion of episodes, don't they get a certain amount of runs of each episode?  If they wanted to increase the number of runs it would cost them more, right?  Can it possibly cost that much more to lease a different group of episodes instead?  Certainly viewership has to drop with the constant repeats (...oh wait, it has.  40%, right?)

I wonder how much Sony is charging them - especially since Sony owns half of GSN.  You'd figure Sony would want to get *some* mileage out of what they have and give GSN a bit of a break, rather than let all that stuff sit there - but I guess that's been brought up before, hasn't it?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jay Temple

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 01:50:36 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 04:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 05:36 PM\']

I think J! is the 1997-1998 season. Not exactly sure, since I was in the kitchen making pancakes. [/quote]
Season premiere, '97. Ugh. [/quote]
 Alex said it was their 14th-season premiere.  That clearly makes it 1997.  I didn't mind the season premiere, because it aired on Labor Day, so my local station pre-empted it for Jerry Lewis' telethon.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2003, 04:01:43 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 07:35 PM\'][quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 08:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Oct 13 2003, 06:35 PM\'] GSN does this all the time with all the shows (save for the MG3).......running the same 150 eps of the same shows. [/quote]

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
Then, if you want to nitpick, how about they LEASE A DIFFERENT YEAR OF SHOWS? Oh wait, that costs money, something Bob Boden won't spend for sure. We are lucky that he even bought Millionaire.[/quote]
You can't spend money if you don't have it--and this includes original shows, since unless a surprise comes up GSN will have produced in 2003 half of the amount of original programming they produced last year (not counting the video game block, since that's all wraparounds and interstitials to two acquired shows).  Boden would probably rather acquire the entire run of a series, but if Unca Rich doesn't give him the money to do that (which Unca Rich has to get from his two corporate bosses, one of which is alleged on this board to being hostile to GSN at this time), he can't.

This is Michael Fleming's last little gift to GSN--he made a lot of no-subscriber fee deals with systems to increase carriage in the late 90s (including the TCI/AT&T/Comcast digital tier deal), and if they're not collecting subscriber fees from a significant number of systems, that's gotta hurt--especially when you're a niche channel that features programming ad agencies are hostile to.