Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Your Family and Game Shows  (Read 6219 times)

Jamey Greek

Your Family and Game Shows
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 04:02:20 PM »
my father is a big fan of Jeopardy!, my grandmother (mom's mom) watches Wheel of Fortune and GSN all the time.  My dad's mother and I watched TPIR when I was a baby.  But my fandom got deeper than all of them!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »
Hey!  Leave my balls out of this.  I did set myself up for a serving of fail by mentioning the blue Lingo balls.

Going back to question posed by Mark...

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'193233\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 03:06 PM\']Did you get anything else with the picture?[/quote]
Yes, and there's a reason why the picture is from my chest up.

/Went back to the balls, or at least the general area

geno57

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 05:33:50 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'193210\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 01:58 AM\']
My girlfriend/fiance gets into watching game shows a lot too. She used to watch them off and on, but now I notice she is watching them more, so I must be rubbing off on her.
[/quote]

Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh!  He said "rubbing off on her".  And his name is Wood!  Uh-huh-huh-huh-huh!

-- ButtHead

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 08:00:44 PM »
We're separated by many miles today, but I'm sure my mother still watches TPIR and WoF, plus maybe Millionaire and J!.  In my much younger days when I watched lots of them when I wasn't in school, I had a number of home games but my sister had Word For Word.  She was a regular viewer of sorts of the first two Barris shows.  My brother could take them or leave them.

As for Dad, the only two he ever watched were WML? on CBS and--a real surprise--the Sunday night Summer 1967 version of LMAD.  The following year he had to spend time in a hospital where he wasn't given much to do except sleep or watch TV.  He tried watching Eye Guess and a couple of others, and when he got out he griped about the hosts being "nothing but teeth and mouth" and from that point on disdained games.  When we were on vacation in 1969 he and the family made short work of about half my hopes of watching It Takes Two every day it was on, and my very last chance to see the NBC version of The Match Game (on a Florida station at noon or 1 PM) was nipped in the bud after about 45 seconds when Dear Old Dad mumbled something that sounded like "grumble-grumble-grumble-grumble-GEEM!" and Mom made me change the channel.

Those were the good old days...NOT!!!
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 04:52:24 AM »
I think my dad got turned off by game shows in 1958.  Every time we'd have a game show on, he said "Those shows are rigged."  Younger Sis preferred other shows rather than games, so "Happy Days" won out over IGAS'76 and for at least one season "25KP" was against "Muppet Show" around here and Kermit and Co. was the choice on the family TV.  I eventually got a B&W portable for my room.  Mom and both of my Grandmothers liked them.  One of my Grandfathers was indifferent and the other died in 1936, before the advent of TV game shows.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:32:27 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Tim L

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 05:50:18 AM »
I dont know if my Family really cared for Game Shows, but I have mentioned in the past that Some of our family used to play TPIR with the Speigel Catalog around the Time the ABC Price Is Right was wrapping up..(1963-64-65)..I was allowed to watch You Dont Say and Match Game after School..

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 08:37:32 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'193237\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 03:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'193234\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 12:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'193233\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 03:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'193232\' date=\'Aug 3 2008, 02:05 PM\']and I got my pic with Shandi.[/quote]Did you get anything else with the picture?
[/quote]
Yes, blue balls.
[/quote]
It's deep...and I don't think it's playable.

Bravo. Bravissimo.
[/quote]
A'thank yew sir. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 01:57:25 PM »
I think my dad got turned off by game shows in 1958. Every time we'd have a game show on, he said "Those shows are rigged."

My mom said the same thing after I started talking to her about game shows around noon on Sept 4, 1972.  I didn't know anything about the scandals then but eventually had to convince her that was all in the past.

Unfortunately nobody in my family likes game shows as much as I do.  During the mid-70s, my sisters seemed to like them a bit but grew out of them.  My parents watched shows like What's My Line and I've Got a Secret during the '60s, but never made it much of a habit after that.  Oddly enough, these days they do watch Deal or No Deal quite frequently, and I think were into WWTBAM for a while after it debuted.

My late grandmother, who frequently visited us from her native England, really enjoyed our game shows and quite often watched some with me when she was over.

I've got all of these TV show board games I've rarely been able to play with anyone...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!