Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show idea...  (Read 3672 times)

aaron sica

Game show idea...
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »
So I was watching "Wipeout" for the first time tonight, and had an idea come to me while watching the obstacle course near the end and seeing players jump over barrels...

What about a reality show in which contestants would play life-size classic video games? For example, jump barrels in the "Donkey Kong" round. Run around collecting power pellets and running from ghosts in the "Pac Man" round. Run around and collect cherries in the "Mr. Do" round.

What other classic video games could work on a show like this?

Jimmy Owen

Game show idea...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:02 AM »
Tron.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Game show idea...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:47:52 AM »
Sonic the Hedgehog, just for the futility of trying to go up that first loop.

From a real-world standpoint, something like this would require a lot of production costs, which is pretty much the exact opposite of why you put a game show on the air.

Oh, Punch-Out would work, too.  Cuz Mike Tyson needs more work...
This signature is currently under construction.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Game show idea...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:34:27 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'192736\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 11:09 PM\'] What other classic video games could work on a show like this? [/quote]
I, for one, think these three games would work fine.

In all seriousness, though, I think Joe is not entirely right.  I don't think American audiences have been conditioned to accept that sort of thing as a viable game show.  In time, it's possible.  The very fact that we're seeing some of the concepts we're seeing says as much, despite the best attempts by American producers to screw it up.  (See money tree for Hole in the Wall for example of WTF)

I also know that at one particular gaming convention, they've done a human Frogger game, where one player is the frog and a bunch of others move around the floor representing cars.  The catch is that the frog is blindfolded, and has to rely on other people to be told when and where to hop.

As to what video game I'd really like to see in real life?  Oh, that's easy -- Penguin-Kun Wars.  No, I'm not joking.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 01:35:02 AM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Jordan Hass

Game show idea...
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:18:08 AM »
G4 will probably pick this up, if they want to go back to "gaming content".

But if at all, I could see this as "Nerdy American Gladiators"

Think about "Burger Time" in this... create a burger, but be careful, a giant pickle is out to get you!

DrBear

Game show idea...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:54:33 AM »
Well, there's this great version of "Madden 08" that's going to be on Sundays this fall...
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

aaron sica

Game show idea...
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 11:54:37 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'192757\' date=\'Jul 30 2008, 07:54 AM\']
Well, there's this great version of "Madden 08" that's going to be on Sundays this fall...
[/quote]

Oh yeah - how could I forget about this one? It's been going on for oh, the last 14/15 years or so. I never did see an ambulance drive onto the field and run players over though (at least not in the early years).

I do realize that, logically, yes, with production costs and such it would never work, but it's something fun to think about...Imagine hiding gold coins in boxes labeled with a "?" for example....Real-life SMB!

pacdude

Game show idea...
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'192790\' date=\'Jul 30 2008, 11:54 AM\']I do realize that, logically, yes, with production costs and such it would never work, but it's something fun to think about...Imagine hiding gold coins in boxes labeled with a "?" for example....Real-life SMB![/quote]

I am reminded of this presentation: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2139555376132383479

JayDLewis

Game show idea...
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:08:33 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'192736\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 11:09 PM\']
What about a reality show in which contestants would play life-size classic video games? For example, jump barrels in the "Donkey Kong" round.[/quote]

Mildly NSFW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQwsVMHxXgk

Run around collecting power pellets and running from ghosts in the "Pac Man" round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUt9FtiWiVs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCgii3QTSDI
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

bwood

Game show idea...
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 06:13:13 PM »
Ah, yes. That real-life Donkey Kong clip was from the short lived MTV show "Blastazoid", where the premise was to.........bring video games to life. It didn't have any sort of game show element to it though, it was just Rake Yohn and Brandon Dicamillo (Viva La Bam fame) recreating video games. I think it lasted two episodes. I remember them doing a "Frogger" episode.

tpirfan28

Game show idea...
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:21 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'192855\' date=\'Jul 30 2008, 06:13 PM\']
I remember them doing a "Frogger" episode.
[/quote]http://youtube.com/watch?v=1IGEQTn-sUc

Approves
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

CarbonCpy

Game show idea...
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »
[comedy SmashTV response]

Assuming a near-limitless budget and accident indemnity, Q*Bert.  The perfect solution to our country's medicine ball and trampoline surpluses.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:32:25 PM by CarbonCpy »

saussage

Game show idea...
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 11:02:36 PM »
Freeway for the Atari 2600.

I know, we already have this... it's called jaywalking :)

In all seriousness, there would be the odd video game that would make a fantastic rendition in real life. Unfortunately, many video games do things that would be out of the bounds of reality making it impossible to do or really expensive to make.

Fun to do, easy and a good game show idea: Pressure Cooker (Atari 2600)
Funny to watch but would wear out in a hurry: Fast Food (Atari 2600)
Funny but would need minor modifications: Battle Chess
Impossible but funny if it was: Elf Bowling came to mind... that would be funny and possible if someone wants to be struck by a giant bowling ball :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game show idea...
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
I think Fear Factor did a couple of stunts that were remarkably close to Donkey Kong and the original Mario Bros. over the six year span of the program.
Travis L. Eberle

CarbonCpy

Game show idea...
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 12:55:51 AM »
[quote name=\'saussage\' post=\'192888\' date=\'Jul 30 2008, 11:02 PM\']
Impossible but funny if it was: Elf Bowling came to mind... that would be funny and possible if someone wants to be struck by a giant bowling ball :)
[/quote]

Hey, it worked for Takeshi's Castle, it'd still work today.