Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 50th Anniversary of Concentration will be this year  (Read 13720 times)

Bluejay

50th Anniversary of Concentration will be this year
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:49:58 PM »
On August 25, 1958, NBC debuted a game show that would be a long-running classic, Concentration.  This show would be on in various formats from 1958-1973, then syndicated from 1973-1978, and most recently as Classic Concentration from 1987-1993.

This year will mark the 50th anniversary of Concentration, and NBC/Universal, who owns the rights to the game, has yet to do something to commemorate this event.  I wish that NBC would get up off of their collective duffs and revive the format as a prime-time game like they do Deal or No Deal.

I plan to send NBC an e-mail about this, but I have a sick feeling this will be one of those "Wish in one hand..." moments.

We need to let NBC/Universal know about this.  Maybe Fremantle (which now owns Goodson/Todman-Mark Goodson productions, who helped produce the syndciated version of the show as well as Classic Concentration) could help out.

NBC, you could make Concentration a hit just like you did Deal or No Deal.

If you have any ideas of how the new Concentration should be done (ex. 25 or 30 squares, type of bonus round, host), let me know.

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »
Certainly, you can try whatever you'd like and good luck to you.
But I doubt they'd care.
They being NBC, Universal, Fremantle and possibly an under 35 audience that wouldn't sit still for a dozen or more utterings of "Not a match; The board goes back" per game. Unless maybe you brought on those dancing girls that Norm Blumenthal talked to Stosh about in THE LAST! tvgameshows.net cover story interview.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:39:57 PM by Don Howard »

Bluejay

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:47:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'192653\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 06:37 PM\']
Certainly, you can try whatever you'd like and good luck to you.
But I doubt they'd care.
They being NBC, Universal, Fremantle and possibly an under 35 audience that wouldn't sit still for a dozen or more utterings of "Not a match; The board goes back" per game. Unless maybe you brought on those dancing girls that Norm Blumenthal talked to Stosh about in THE LAST! tvgameshows.net cover story interview.
[/quote]
If that's the way NBC/Universal (run by Vivendi, a French congolmerate) and Fremantle (from the UK) and the attention-challenged under 35 deomgraphic feel about, to quote Eric Cartman:
"S---W YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME"! (I Couldn't do the complete spelling due to this being a family web site).

Bluejay

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:52:04 PM »
Maybe NBC, Universal, Fremantle, and the attention-challenged under 35 demographic couldn't care less, but doggone it, I still do and always will care.  Long live Concentration and to the devil with the corporate suits.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:56:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Bluejay\' post=\'192654\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 06:47 PM\']

"SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME"!
[/quote]

Fixed unnecessary sanitation.

I guess we can't say "nail," either, due to certain connotations?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »
Oh boy.

All things equal, I'd rather they made "Concentration" a hit like "Concentration", and stay as far away from making it a hit like "Deal or No Deal" as possible.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'192657\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 07:57 PM\']All things equal, I'd rather they made "Concentration" a hit like "Concentration", and stay as far away from making it a hit like "Deal or No Deal" as possible.[/quote]
Considering what Concentration is, it already has a point in its favor in that you need at least half a brain to play it.

Also, to further the efforts to bring it back, I'll ask one of my Aussie friends to e-mail Today Tonight tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:01:39 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

Bluejay

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'192656\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 06:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'Bluejay\' post=\'192654\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 06:47 PM\']

"SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME"!
[/quote]

I guess we can't say "nail," either, due to certain connotations?
[/quote]
Thanks.  If my mom (who helped buy this computer) found out I used this language, she'd really hit the roof.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 08:13:37 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'192656\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 06:56 PM\'] [quote name=\'Bluejay\' post=\'192654\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 06:47 PM\']"SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME"![/quote]

I guess we can't say "nail," either, due to certain connotations? [/quote]

You should meet my high school vice principal, Mr. Woodcock.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

tpirfan28

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:18:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'192660\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 08:01 PM\']
I'll ask one of my Aussie friends to e-mail Today Tonight tomorrow.
[/quote]
I already did yesterday.

Unless there's a way to do Million Dollar Concentration, I simply don't see this working.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

joker316

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'192657\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 07:57 PM\']
Oh boy.

All things equal, I'd rather they made "Concentration" a hit like "Concentration", and stay as far away from making it a hit like "Deal or No Deal" as possible.
[/quote]
Amen to that!!!

Because the last thing we need is another show/remake with screaming meemies going "Hi I'm Jill and I'm a college student and I need a Wild Card so I can win a NEW SKI JET! WOOOOOO!!!!"
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

Bob Zager

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:14 PM »
Though I, too, would like to see a new series someday, I'm a little more surprised that Endless Games, at least for now, has no plans for a new box game, in honor of the half-century anniversary of a "classic," game!

Ten years ago, they did release a new box game, dubbed "40th anniversary edition."

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Bluejay\' post=\'192654\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 07:47 PM\']the attention-challenged under 35 deomgraphic feel about, to quote Eric Cartman:
"S---W YOU GUYS, I'M GOING HOME"! (I Couldn't do the complete spelling due to this being a family web site).[/quote]
Apparently, you missed the following post earlier this morning by one of the Executive Producers:

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'192578\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 01:12 AM\']Piece of shit goddamn fucking worthless In-fucking-vision software won't let me put up ASCII art in a monospaced font, even as code. I will email you with it.[/quote]

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 08:31:49 PM »
They could do away with the rebuses and just make it a matching game.  You would compete against another player to match dollar amounts.  You stay in control as long as you make matches. Whichever person matches the highest amount at the end tries for a million.  Takes and Forfeits would still be in play to make it interesting.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 08:37:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'192670\' date=\'Jul 29 2008, 08:31 PM\']
They could do away with the rebuses and just make it a matching game.  You would compete against another player to match dollar amounts.  You stay in control as long as you make matches. Whichever person matches the highest amount at the end tries for a million.  Takes and Forfeits would still be in play to make it interesting.
[/quote]
And to hold the impatient viewers' attention span, the board has been reduced. Not from 30 to 25, but to 9. And no more rebus, as that requires too much thinking for the average audience...or NBC game show contestant for that matter. We put an image of an NBC celebrity behind the squares. NBC Celebrity...that leaves Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, Mariska Hargitay, Howie Mandel, Triumph, and Tina Fey.

And the board clanging sound to turn the trilons? Gone.
The quirky sound effect also used three years earlier on "Trivia Trap"? Gone.
We use WHOOOSHes now, baby!

Let's see, out-of-work comedian irrelevant since 1992...what's Dave Coulier up to? Get him an open-collar suit, stat! We'll zoom through the first "O" in "Concentration", and have the audience cheer on every number pick...not to mention pregnant pauses as we reveal what's behind the square...after this!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 08:41:46 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!