Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows and you  (Read 26498 times)

gsgalaxy82

Game shows and you
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2008, 04:15:24 AM »
I've been to TPIR Live five times in Las Vegas. Met Todd Newton twice and just got back yesterday and met Marc Summers three times, haha (I actually went to it three times, figured, I'd rather spend my money and enjoy it then spend it to lose it). Also I met John O'Hurley after Spamalot in Vegas on a trip two months ago (Spamalot has since closed). I've also met Randy West all those times at TPIR Live. If you haven't seen TPIR Live, I definitely recommend it.

Mike Tennant

Game shows and you
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 09:36:32 AM »
I attended tapings of the J! College Tournament at the University of Pittsburgh a few years ago.  Afterward I met Johnny Gilbert and got his autograph on my ticket.

I saw Peter Tomarken in the old Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.

I've obtained a bunch of autographed photos of hosts through the mail, including one from Monty Hall proclaiming me "maybe the next great M.C."  (Speaking of Monty, I also sat in the studio at the Disney/MGM Studios where LMAD '90 was taped and witnessed one of the games they put on for tourists--no Monty, or even Bob Hilton, at that one.)

tpirfan28

Game shows and you
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2008, 10:19:10 AM »
The closest I've gotten is being in the "ring of fire" during a playing of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play IT!" at Walt Disney World, Orlando.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
Game shows and you
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
Where to begin...

Auditions:  Idiot Savants in 1996, Jeopardy! numerous times, Wheel of Fortune cattle call in Columbus, OH in 1997, Twenty-One in Chicago in 1999, Hollywood Showdown in Pittsburgh in 2000, Paranoia in 2000 (sat next to someone who won $500 on the premiere ep.), Lingo with my sister in Akron in 2006 (met Shandi; mrrrrrrrrrow!), possibly the Millionaire audition in Detroit next month but that's looking less and less likely.

In the audience:  Cleveland's Academic Challenge in 1995; Wheel of Fortune at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus with Tim K. in August 1997 (aired the 2nd week of the 1997-98 season); The Price is Right in October 2001 (2 eps., aired 11/30/01 and 12/3/01); The Jeopardy! College Championship finals from UCLA in October 2001; TPiR again during GSCongress trips in 2005 and 2006; WoF again in 2006 (first 3 eps. of the 24th season); Deal or No Deal in 2006 (first ep. of 2nd season)

Played Wink's interactive games on FAM from 1993-94 just to win my sister a clarinet, never won it but got a second chance entry.  In late '94, was one of 10 finalists in Interactive Boggle for a trip to FAO Schwartz in NYC and $2500 but didn't win because FAM said they'd call me back within an hour to let me know if I won.  Instead, they called the next day when I was opening my first checking account, so my then 15-year-old sister played and epically failed.  Also won a Double Dare video and 2 DD video games through a telephone contest in 1988, a PC on Paranoia's premiere, three gift certificates through History IQ's online game in 2000, $200 on PlayMania on 7/3/07, $50 on Bingo America (the $100,000 win ep.) and took part in 2 episodes of Anyone Can Win, winning one episode and placing 3rd on a Tournament of Champions show.

Have met numerous hosts and announcers through GSCs, got most of them to sign 8x10 photos, tickets, or other memorabilia.  Had lunch with Jay Wolpert in 2001.  With Aaron Sica, met John O'Hurley at a book signing in Harrisburg, PA in November 2006, got several books and an 8x10 signed.  Met Paul Tapie (longtime Cash Explosion host) at a Cleveland Indians fanfest in 1994.  Got Drew Carey's autograph on a TV Guide after the 1996 Cleveland Thanksgiving Parade.

And the 2 most important events:  I had lunch with Chris Clementson and I gave Matt Ottinger a copy of a board game he didn't have in his collection.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:59:47 PM by MikeK »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Game shows and you
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'192205\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 01:10 AM\']
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'192187\' date=\'Jul 26 2008, 09:13 PM\']
Are you one of those guys who calls him whenever Quiz Show airs, asking him what movie won the Oscar in 1955? :)
[/quote]
I'm not, but I did call him one Sunday night in 2000 after Twenty One.
I was as shocked as could be that I was able to get the number from Forest Hills, New York information.
He was very polite and didn't ask me once if I was drunk. But he had to know I was.
Went to many tapings during the 1980s (the first was The $50,000 Pyramid), but the 21st century journeys have just been for tapings of The Price Is Right, most recently with the Congrefs gang in 2006.
Bob Barker congratulated me and my bride on one week of happy marriage adding, "..and they said it wouldn't last".
[/quote]
Now that I remember it (I was 12), it took quite a bit of convincing that I wasn't affiliated with NBC or any other media organization before he would talk to me. I asked him what he thought about his portrayal in Quiz Show, and he said he was more or less pleased with John Turturro's character. He made mention of how the actual scandals took place over a period of three years, among other tidbits that sort of highlighted the creative control Robert and the game took over the original story.

He told me (not surprisingly) that he never tried his hand at any other game shows, and how he thought Maury Povich "was the world's worst host". Apparently, NBC had contacted both him and Van Doren for an unrehearsed rematch, but both declined.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

tvwxman

Game shows and you
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 01:19:38 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'192231\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 01:12 PM\']
He told me (not surprisingly) that he never tried his hand at any other game shows, and how he thought Maury Povich "was the world's worst host". Apparently, NBC had contacted both him and Van Doren for an unrehearsed rematch, but both declined.
[/quote]
Now wait a sec. One of the tabloids interviewed him when the revival came back...and he went on record to say that he wanted to challenge Charlie to another game.

I've never met the man, but I get the feeling he's never been one to shy away from publicity of any type.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Kevin Prather

Game shows and you
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 03:25:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'192232\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 10:19 AM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'192231\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 01:12 PM\']
[/quote]
Now wait a sec. One of the tabloids interviewed him when the revival came back...and he went on record to say that he wanted to challenge Charlie to another game.

I've never met the man, but I get the feeling he's never been one to shy away from publicity of any type.
[/quote]
In the Video Clips board, there's an interview of Herbert Stempel. In part 3, he discusses this a little bit. Silverman contacted Stempel asking him if he was interested in coming back. He said he needed to think about it. Afterwards, he had seen an episode of the remake, and went on the record saying he hated it. He never heard from Silverman again.

Yogi007

Game shows and you
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2008, 04:27:06 PM »
I was lucky (lucky??) enough to watch a day's taping (3 shows) of John Davidson's HSq when they came to Hollywood, Florida in 1986.  I skipped work that day to go.  Told them I was sick.  Fortunately, nobody saw the interview I had with the local reporter from Channel 10 later that day.

/My father did and I got busted by him.
sarcasm included at no extra charge

tvwxman

Game shows and you
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Yogi007\' post=\'192252\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 04:27 PM\']
I was lucky (lucky??) enough to watch a day's taping (3 shows) of John Davidson's HSq when they came to Hollywood, Florida in 1986.  I skipped work that day to go.  Told them I was sick.  
[/quote]
Holy smokes! I was there too! Got to meet game show greats there, like Dian Parkinson and Janice Pennington, and I got to shake Louie Anderson's hand. In the shadows of greatness, I say.
-------------

Matt

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game shows and you
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'192209\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 03:15 AM\']
I've been to TPIR Live five times in Las Vegas. Met Todd Newton twice and just got back yesterday and met Marc Summers three times, haha (I actually went to it three times, figured, I'd rather spend my money and enjoy it then spend it to lose it). Also I met John O'Hurley after Spamalot in Vegas on a trip two months ago (Spamalot has since closed). I've also met Randy West all those times at TPIR Live. If you haven't seen TPIR Live, I definitely recommend it.
[/quote]
Agreed.  Only saw it once (with Todd and Randy at the helm), but had a great time.

/Didn't see SPAMALOT, having seen it in its pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago.  Probably should have, although Penn & Teller and two Cirque du Soleil shows were entertainment enough.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvwxman

Game shows and you
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'192256\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 05:09 PM\']
/Didn't see SPAMALOT, having seen it in its pre-Broadway tryout in Chicago.  Probably should have, although Penn & Teller and two Cirque du Soleil shows were entertainment enough.
[/quote]
I don't want to threadjack here, but you're better off not having seen it. The broadway shows that have attempted runs in Vegas have all been cut down from their original shows on Broadway, some cutting up to 45 minutes from the show, so they can fit two shows in the evening.

If you're going to see a Broadway show, see it on the road, or in NYC, but NOT in Vegas.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled posting on "Game Shows and You".
-------------

Matt

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Game shows and you
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
I've been in the audience at TPIR (#3943K, aired 4/4/07), and at Jeopardy! (show #'s 5264 and 5265 from 6/28/07 and 6/29/07 respectively).

Co-creator, co-producer and director of "Clue Me In", a campus TV game show at East Tennessee State University, heading into our third season.

/Non-GS audiences I have been in... "The Big Bang Theory", "Two and a Half Men" and "Late Late Show".
//I have taken the NBC Studio Tour in Burbank, if that counts for anything...

TroubadourNando

Game shows and you
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 08:26:27 PM »
Let's see if I can remember this all.

In no particular order:

-Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (syn, with Billy Bush sub-hosting)
-Power of 10
-Wheel of Fortune (at Radio City)
-The Price is Right Live (2004 and 2005, first with Newton/Rosen, then Summers/West)

I had been hoping to see Million Dollar Password but apparently it's moved to California.

Jay Temple

Game shows and you
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 08:56:56 PM »
Not much to speak of:
  • took the J! test when they came to St. Louis, failed
  • wrote to TTTT to be a central character (won a regional math contest)
  • transferred a contestant's eps to DVD for her
  • corresponded with many other contestants thru message boards or e-mail
  • got Vicki Lawrence's autograph at a public appearance promoting union membership
  • helped put together a Feud game to raise money for German club in high school
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

xavier45

Game shows and you
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
Man, I feel like a loser compared to a lot of you guys. =)

The only shows I have tried out for are Crosswords and Millionaire. That's pretty much it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:05:13 PM by xavier45 »