Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows and you  (Read 26499 times)

TimK2003

Game shows and you
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2008, 07:59:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'193319\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 12:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'193307\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 10:31 AM\']
Met Judy Tenuta of Match Game '98 as she guested (in '91 pre-MG) on a radio show on which I worked.  

She's much mellower in person.[/quote]
Met Richard Simmons when he came to the TV station where I was a news anchor.  

He's not.
[/quote]

Matt, you caught me there for a second.  Had you not quoted, I thought "He's Not" was referring to something else!!!

Not that there's anything...yada, yada, yada.....

mmb5

Game shows and you
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2008, 09:35:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'193326\' date=\'Aug 4 2008, 02:20 PM\']
One of these days, though, I'll tell you the story of meeting George Lindsay.  I call it "My Dinner With Goober".
[/quote]
If I remember the story correctly, it's riddled with what could have been...

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tpirfan28

Game shows and you
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2008, 10:47:52 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'192217\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 10:19 AM\']
The closest I've gotten is being in the "ring of fire" during a playing of "Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play IT!" at Walt Disney World, Orlando.
[/quote]
I have to make an addendum...I was in the 2002 Boscov's Thanksgiving Day Parade in Philadelphia when Alex Trebek was the grand marshal.  Never saw him until I got home and watched the parade on tape.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
Game shows and you
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2008, 08:28:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony Peters\' post=\'192318\' date=\'Jul 27 2008, 09:53 PM\']
Never been to a single taping, never met a single host, never even toured a single studio.  The closest I've been to the game show world was being in a Deal or No Deal cattle call in Winter 2006 (knowing what the show would become since those initial 2 weeks in December '05, that's nothing to brag about).  By proxy, my dad was a contestant alternate on daytime Wheel in 1984, but didn't make it to full contestanthood.

I often feel I don't belong here anymore.  This thread confirms it;)
[/quote]
There, fixed that for me;)

I passed the online test; therefore I'll be attending the Jeopardy! auditions in Savannah, GA on September 6.  Who knows where this will lead?
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

TonicBH

Game shows and you
« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2008, 08:31:42 PM »
2006 GSC. Met loads of people, of which I don't remember everybody. Burton Richardson, Larry Anderson, Peter Marshall, Johnny Gilbert, Wink Martindale, Tom Kennedy and Jack Narz, among others. Even saw Rich Fields, but didn't meet him. (Bit of a funny story, that.)

After that GSC, went to the 10/5/06 Price. I'll give you guys a tip: Never eat ice cream the night before without pants on. You'll regret it.

Long time back, I went to a Make Me Laugh thing that was being held in Portland. Got then host Mark Cohen's autograph.

Other than that, not much else.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Game shows and you
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2008, 08:44:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'193482\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 07:31 PM\']
I'll give you guys a tip: Never eat ice cream the night before without pants on. You'll regret it.
[/quote]

I'm sorry but I can NOT let that slide without hearing the reason why.

(Still not doing any better than three J! tests, two Millionaire auditions (should be 3, damn you Lincoln Tunnel traffic) and a Super Millionaire qualifier...perhaps I should go to a Congreff the next time it's in the area?)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TonicBH

Game shows and you
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'193483\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 05:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'193482\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 07:31 PM\']
I'll give you guys a tip: Never eat ice cream the night before without pants on. You'll regret it.
[/quote]

I'm sorry but I can NOT let that slide without hearing the reason why.

(Still not doing any better than three J! tests, two Millionaire auditions (should be 3, damn you Lincoln Tunnel traffic) and a Super Millionaire qualifier...perhaps I should go to a Congreff the next time it's in the area?)
[/quote]

Okay, before I went back to the Ramada Inn (instead of staying at the hotel the Congress was taking place at, just to save a few pennies), we went and grabbed a pint of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. I ate some, took my pants off (it was 90-something out with somewhat wonky AC). Then I started getting shivers in the middle of the night. So I put my pants back on.

Big mistake. I ended up contracting some bad case of pneumonia that stayed for two weeks. When I was at the Price taping, I felt like poo poo and my screams of "WOO!" sounded all warble-y and sicklike. So, never again. Damn good ice cream, though.

ObGameShows: Barker was the host at the time, and Rich was the announcer. One of the members of the GSC convergence, Aaron (forgot his last name, sorry!) got up on stage after a perfect bid and won about $1,200 or so on Plinko. Had Plinko not been played, it would've been a perfect show.

And I think Mike K. helped a few contestants.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game shows and you
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'193485\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 08:13 PM\']
Big mistake. I ended up contracting some bad case of pneumonia that stayed for two weeks. When I was at the Price taping, I felt like poo poo and my screams of "WOO!" sounded all warble-y and sicklike. So, never again. Damn good ice cream, though.

ObGameShows: Barker was the host at the time, and Rich was the announcer. One of the members of the GSC convergence, Aaron (forgot his last name, sorry!) got up on stage after a perfect bid and won about $1,200 or so on Plinko. Had Plinko not been played, it would've been a perfect show.

And I think Mike K. helped a few contestants.
[/quote]
You remember right, B.J.

Between Mike's huge help, Barker congratulating Don Howard and his lovely bride on their newlywed status during a break in the taping, one of our delegates playing Plinko, my nasty head cold and B.J.'s contracting of pneumonia (which was completely unknown to me until he shared that story just now), I'd say that was quite a memorable taping.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:23:17 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

trainman

Game shows and you
« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'193486\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 06:22 PM\']Between Mike's huge help, Barker congratulating Don Howard and his lovely bride on their newlywed status during a break in the taping, one of our delegates playing Plinko, my nasty head cold and B.J.'s contracting of pneumonia (which was completely unknown to me until he shared that story just now), I'd say that was quite a memorable taping.
[/quote]

As far as I can tell, half the people who were there still think I'm some random interloper who wormed his way into the group.
trainman is a man of trains

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Game shows and you
« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'193487\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 08:34 PM\']
As far as I can tell, half the people who were there still think I'm some random interloper who wormed his way into the group.
[/quote]
You mean you weren't?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

MikeK

• Martha!
Game shows and you
« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'193485\' date=\'Aug 5 2008, 09:13 PM\']And I think Mike K. helped a few contestants.[/quote]
Just one comes to mind.  She used my bid to get on stage, and used most of my prices for Check-Out to win a trip to Montreal.  My students LOVE watching that segment.

chad1m

Game shows and you
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »
A couple of other things to add now that I'm back from my trip:
- Contestant on Million Dollar Password
- Met at least one game-related celebrity on the show (it doesn't give any hints if you know my tape date. =P)
- Saw Mark L. Wahlberg walk through the halls
- Met Sande Stewart and felt like a dweeb that I was the only one who know who he was out of my group.

Ian Wallis

Game shows and you
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2008, 01:33:42 PM »
Here are some of my highlights:

--volunteered at the local cable company's "community access" channel from '80-83, and one of the shows I worked on was "Beats Me" - a live call-in trivia show (you could call it a game show); over the years I directed and switched the show, appeared on-air and wrote many of the questions

--took the NBC studio tour in 1983 and saw a taping of "Battlestars"; saw Michael Landon in a grocery store on the same trip

--tried to be a contestant on several shows - "Jackpot"; "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"; "Deal or No Deal" and "Price is Right" (not successful on any of those attempts)

--had e-mails from Geoff Edwards and Bob Hastings Jr; not to mention quite a number of contestants looking for copies of their shows (been able to help out a few of them)

--received a written response to a letter I wrote to David Schwartz in 1996

--had a live phone call to Steve Day and Laura Chambers on GSN's "Club AM" in Dec 1994

--met and shook hands with Tom Kennedy, Jack Narz, Peter Marshall, Johnny Gilbert and Sarah Purcell at the GSC6 in LA in 2006

--met many of you fine folks here at the same GSC and had a great time attending a taping of "Price is Right" with you all

I'm sure there are a couple of others but that's all I can think of right now...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 01:34:42 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!