Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)  (Read 21415 times)

LouKip

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« on: July 16, 2008, 01:41:41 AM »
I was just curious if anyone here has tried out for Million Dollar Password for its next cycle of shows. I'm considering flying down from San Francisco next Tuesday to give it a shot. I wanted to get an idea of what I could expect. (Haven't checked posts about the earlier NYC tryouts, but will do so after this post.)

Lou

thgames65

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »
[quote name=\'LouKip\' post=\'190994\' date=\'Jul 16 2008, 12:41 AM\']
I was just curious if anyone here has tried out for Million Dollar Password for its next cycle of shows. I'm considering flying down from San Francisco next Tuesday to give it a shot. I wanted to get an idea of what I could expect. (Haven't checked posts about the earlier NYC tryouts, but will do so after this post.)

Lou
[/quote]

I attended an LA audition last week.
Everyone gathers in a theater at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn.   You are given a number based on how early you arrive. If you haven't filled out the application already (found on the CBS MDP website), then you fill out the application there.  They will also review the release form with you, but they instruct you not to sign the release form until after they have verbally reviewed the significant items on the form.   Guidelines for proper game play are reviewed (clues that are allowable and those that are forbidden).  Sample words are given out to the group, with one half of the applicants seeing the word while the other half shields their eyes, then people raise their hands and are called upon to give their clue or their guess.  This is just to ferret out any issues that the entire group might have regarding gameplay.
The meat of the audition is being paired up with another applicant to play the game (elimination round style) in front of the contestant coordinators in a separate room.  People are paired by their numbers (#1 with #2, #3 with #4, etc), so the earlier your number is the quicker you will be done with the process.  However, if you want a chance to practice with this stranger who has become your partner, you might prefer to have a later number.
After you play the game both giving and receiving clues, they either dismiss you if they aren't impressed or ask you to stick around for more mock play and more personal interviewing (video-recorded) if they like you.
My number was in the 60's in my audition group, and I finished my 3:30 PM audition around 7:45 PM (lots of waiting).

Good luck!

Tim H.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:01:39 PM by thgames65 »

peiboy91

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:08:49 PM »
I tried out in San Diego over the weekend. I went on Saturday for the open call and everything happened pretty much the same way Tim described, they bring you in by pairs in to play the game and do the on-camera interview afterwards. Then if they liked you they called you later in the day to come back Sunday, where they paired you up again and have you play the game in front of cameras and the producers. After they show the tapes to the higher-ups they will then call people for the show. They're scheduled to tape in early August and will be doing it in LA this time. It looks like they're really trying to find good players who can play the game well, and of course people with lots of energy. If you decide to go try to arrive early or else you'll probably be waiting for a few hours, but they did show episodes of show while we waited.

davidhammett

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 02:08:51 PM »
I don't know where else tryouts may be happening, but apparently the next cycle of shows will be taped in Los Angeles, specifically at CBS Studio Center (aka CBS Radford) in Studio City on August 2-4.  This information comes from the On Camera Audiences website.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'191253\' date=\'Jul 18 2008, 01:08 PM\']
I don't know where else tryouts may be happening, but apparently the next cycle of shows will be taped in Los Angeles, specifically at CBS Studio Center (aka CBS Radford) in Studio City on August 2-4.  This information comes from the On Camera Audiences website.
[/quote]
This weekend in Chicago as well.

[quote name=\'craigslist\' date=\'Jul 17 2008, 02:55 PM\']CBS is holding open audition this weekend for contestants on their game show "Million Dollar Password", hosted by Regis Philbin. Auditions will be held this Saturday and Sunday starting at 9 AM at the Hilton on South Michigan avenue. So come down, try out, and see if you've got a shot at winning $1,000,000! [/quote]

/Won't be there--fears he might get paired up with Rachael Ray.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:15:53 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

davidhammett

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 12:30:42 AM »
More specifics on the Chicago auditions... 9 am on both Saturday and Sunday at the Hilton Chicago (720 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago IL 60605).  Come on down!  (Sorry, wrong show...)

Matt Ottinger

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'191253\' date=\'Jul 18 2008, 02:08 PM\']I don't know where else tryouts may be happening, but apparently the next cycle of shows will be taped in Los Angeles, specifically at CBS Studio Center (aka CBS Radford) in Studio City on August 2-4.  This information comes from the On Camera Audiences website.[/quote]
At the very least, playing in Los Angeles gives them access to a larger pool of celebrities, so we can only hope that it will provide a larger base of competent ones.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'191343\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 02:10 PM\']At the very least, playing in Los Angeles gives them access to a larger pool of celebrities, so we can only hope that it will provide a larger base of competent ones.
[/quote]
qft
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Clay Zambo

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 03:13:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'191343\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 03:10 PM\']
At the very least, playing in Los Angeles gives them access to a larger pool of celebrities, so we can only hope that it will provide a larger base of competent ones.
[/quote]

Sure.  Also, it torks off us East Coasters who'd like to play!  ;)
czambo@mac.com

tpirfan28

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »
Do we get Reege, I wonder?  I thought the reason they did the show in NY was just for Regis to host the show.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jimmy Owen

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 03:45:06 PM »
In the past, (Millionaire, Am's Got Talent) Reege has been "The Starter Host."  Now that the show is on its way (and in LA), maybe he'll assume the same status with MDP.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 05:17:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'191343\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 03:10 PM\']

[/quote]

Agreed.

Plus it will make it easier for Neil Patrick Harris and Betty White to become semi-regulars or last minute fill-ins since they are both pretty much left coasters, leaving the clueless Rachel Rays about 2800 miles behind.

That is,.. if Fremantle ever thinks about inviting players who "Get ItŪ" back again.

tvrandywest

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 05:24:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'191348\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 12:14 PM\']
Do we get Reege, I wonder?  I thought the reason they did the show in NY was just for Regis to host the show.
[/quote]
Yes, Reege.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chad1m

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »
I'm currently in Chicago awaiting a callback after my tryout today. The audition went just like everyone said, except I think it was left out that we had to take a 5 word test (3 clues given by the CCs for each word) that I'm nearly certain you had to get 4/5 or 5/5 to pass. After passing, my partner and I pretty much rocked, getting 5/5  on just about every set of words (taking 17 seconds on one.) So wish me luck guys!

tpirfan28

MDP July Tryouts (LA/SD)
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 06:48:43 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'191366\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 05:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'191348\' date=\'Jul 19 2008, 12:14 PM\']
[/quote]
Yes, Reege.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]
Yay Reege! :)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"