Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...  (Read 14592 times)

Sodboy13

1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 01:19:10 AM »
You know, between this and the new Create-A-School mode on NCAA Football 10, I may find myself suckered into acquiring a 360.

/comes with a convenient excuse to buy the Big Button Pads
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

jmenjes

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 01:24:12 AM »
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:25:32 AM by jmenjes »
"You're dead if you aim only for kids.  Adults are only kids grown up anyway." -- Walt Disney

Jumpondees

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:44 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217119\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 12:50 AM\']Alright, so I just got done playing in the first US beta. I'm kinda brain-dumping here, so bear with me.

(Edited for Time)[/quote]

I managed to get in tonight too....I was in for the entire session, and I too got into "The Mob" for a game.  I think I bombed out thinking too much the question about what body part can be spelled with the letters on the XBOX Controller.

This game has potential, it's fun.

To add something to the brain dump referenced above, I think I read in the rules over on xbox.com , that a player can be "The One" only once during a 1 vs. 100 season, and a player can be in "The Mob" once per primetime episode.

I'm going to try again Saturday night @ 8pm Eastern.

Who knows, perhaps when this thing launches for real, maybe a bunch of us can put together a league of sorts, just to stack numbers and see who gets fourm bragging rights...Seems like a fun idea.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 03:31:45 AM »
[quote name=\'jmenjes\' post=\'217123\' date=\'Jun 1 2009, 10:12 PM\']And it really wasn't a trick question, but it was something to see how many people missed the freezing point of water question towards the end of the show tonight.[/quote]
I got bitten by that one too. By that point in the evening, most everyone knew to buzz in on an answer the instant it appeared, or drill "B" if they've already eliminated the first two options, and everyone was on a hair-trigger because the race to get on the leaderboard was so tight. So everyone rang in the second they saw the "32". :)
[quote name=\'JerrysFeudinAgain\' post=\'217124\' date=\'Jun 1 2009, 10:14 PM\']How the hell you got in? I gave up after 40 minutes. I read on the xbox boards that around 50,000 people were trying to play. Hopefully Mircosoft will fix this when the main game comes out.[/quote]
Um, I turned on my Xbox about ten minutes before, the reminder fired up about five minutes out and asked me if I wanted to run the client, and I played. Were there network issues outside? Worked great from my end.

(It probably doesn't hurt that I am...let's see, I clocked it one day...exactly 16.1 miles away from the Xbox Operations Center. :))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 03:47:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'217128\' date=\'Jun 1 2009, 11:00 PM\']I managed to get in tonight too....I was in for the entire session, and I too got into "The Mob" for a game.  I think I bombed out thinking too much the question about what body part can be spelled with the letters on the XBOX Controller.[/quote]
It didn't even ask that, it asked what body part was printed on the controller, period, no anagrams. I looked down. Not all that many words on an Xbox pad. :)

They didn't seem to have problems of scope, but then capping the audience at 50,000 probably had something to do with that. I did notice a few breaks where you expected Chris to talk and he didn't, so I wonder if they had some problems with him.

And it makes sense that you can be the One once and a Mob member once. My groupmates were calling for me to be Mob-ified again after my first outing, and I was like "Naw, I had my chance, let someone else have a turn." :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:49:42 AM by clemon79 »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217130\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 02:47 AM\'][quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'217128\' date=\'Jun 1 2009, 11:00 PM\']I managed to get in tonight too....I was in for the entire session, and I too got into "The Mob" for a game.  I think I bombed out thinking too much the question about what body part can be spelled with the letters on the XBOX Controller.[/quote]
It didn't even ask that, it asked what body part was printed on the controller, period, no anagrams. I looked down. Not all that many words on an Xbox pad. :)
[/quote]
I thought it asked what word could be spelled from the letters on the 360 controller too...I remember frantically going through A-B-X-Y-L-R-T trying to see which word fit, before realizing the obvious :)

Definitely fun, but I assumed Chris Cashman would at least be reading the questions, or interacting with the One during the game. It was kinda awkward to have the computerized Jen throw to Chris for the leaderboards, only to have him come in roughly every one in five throws. Hopefully he'll be more active in later games.

We should get a group from here together for the next episode- I'll definitely be there!
Gamertag: Quizmaster87
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:30:24 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

aaron sica

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 02:01:48 PM »
Well, after reading all of the fun of 1 vs. 100, I decided I wanted to get a Gold membership again but the way my finances are going, I don't want to even waste $8 on a month. So I started looking for alternatives and found one - this is good for some of you out there like me who want to get in on the action but don't have a Gold membership. There is a website called Rewards1.com where you can fill out surveys for points. Read the forums pretty heavily, some don't require even to complete the whole thing, just a page or two. I worked at it over the weekend and amassed 8 points (you need 10, however, before you can spend) which is enough for a month of Xbox Live Gold.

Just an option for those of you who might be strapped for cash but still want to play.

(Mods, delete this next part if so warranted, I might be breaching the Eligibility Requirements here)

This is my referral tag if you think it's something for you.

/Gamertag: Cosmo2004
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:04:21 PM by aaron sica »

NickS

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217119\' date=\'Jun 1 2009, 11:50 PM\']<CONTENT SNIPPED FOR BREVITY>
Anyhow, totally fun, and while I don't know if I'd pass up actual human interaction to play it, I would definitely make a point of playing again if I happened to be home on a Saturday night.[/quote]

Thanks for the review, as *if* I had the money and didn't already have a Wii... I'd probably run out and get an Xbox for this.

Out of curiosity, Chris - did they have any ads in the game (i.e. product placement)?

clemon79

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'217136\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 08:26 AM\']Definitely fun, but I assumed Chris Cashman would at least be reading the questions, or interacting with the One during the game. It was kinda awkward to have the computerized Jen throw to Chris for the leaderboards, only to have him come in roughly every one in five throws. Hopefully he'll be more active in later games.[/quote]
I thought he would for the live games, but I really feel like they ran into technical problems with his cut-ins, because there were clearly segments where he was supposed to talk and didn't. He'll talk more when it goes live, I am sure.

I'm not surprised there is no direct vocal interaction with the contestants, because that just begs for someone to get on as the One and then start babbling on about Howard Stern's penis as soon as Chris starts to interview him.

(Although the method for selecting the One and the Mob kinda screens a little against complete jagoffs getting into the hotseat.)
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'217140\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 11:01 AM\']Well, after reading all of the fun of 1 vs. 100, I decided I wanted to get a Gold membership again but the way my finances are going, I don't want to even waste $8 on a month.[/quote]
It's eight bucks a month piecemeal? Yeesh. This is why they want you to buy it a year at a time.

(Another alternative: keep an eye out on BensBargains.net and SlickDeals.net and such...very often Amazon and Buy.com will have deals where you can get a 13-month LIVE subscription card for $40, which is $10 and 1 month more than the retail price. I realize the issue is coming up with even $40, but every little bit helps.)
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'217142\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 11:18 AM\']Out of curiosity, Chris - did they have any ads in the game (i.e. product placement)?[/quote]
Yes. Sprint has the naming rights to the "studio," and there will be live commercial breaks every ten questions or so, some of which ran live 30-second video ads last night, and some of which did not, leading me to believe they're still shaking that down too. It felt like they went five questions, stat break, five questions, ad break.

cyberjoek

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »
I tuned in about an hour late and was locked out for about a half hour.  It was annoying to be locked out like that but eventually I got in.

The controls are intuitive and the fact that they have a question writing team working from week to week and I look forward to jumping in for future games.  The voice chat system was laggy at best and non-operative at worst.  It seemed like the server was having issues handling 50,000 players -- it'll be interesting to see how it handles 75k or 100k this weekend.

Feel free to look me up.  Gamertag: cyberjoek (I know, real creative)

-Joe Kavanagh

clemon79

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 05:01:50 PM »
[quote name=\'cyberjoek\' post=\'217149\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 02:00 PM\']The voice chat system was laggy at best and non-operative at worst.[/quote]
Worked great for me. Do you have voice chat issues while playing other games on Live?

AndyG

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »
I completely missed that this was going on last night...found out this morning that I missed it. There's a good chance I'll be in on Saturday's game, barring any other plans. As much as I rarely post here, I would enjoy being a part of the group for the next game...my gamertag is localanarchist.

cyberjoek

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217150\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 05:01 PM\'][quote name=\'cyberjoek\' post=\'217149\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 02:00 PM\']The voice chat system was laggy at best and non-operative at worst.[/quote]
Worked great for me. Do you have voice chat issues while playing other games on Live?
[/quote]
I've never had a lag issue with voice or video on Live.  Talked to a couple of friends who had similar issues -- it seemed to be directly related to how late into the session you joined.
-Joe Kavanagh

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 05:19:44 PM »
I played for about 20 mins. last night, then got bounced, tried logging back in for another 20 mins., and then gave up.  I had a fun time for those 20 minutes, even though the two people I played with were not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier of life.

Is anybody up for some Merv Griffin's Crosswords on Saturday before the next 1 vs. 100 beta?  Several games should get most of the players their online achievement points.  Surely some of the 1800 people who have MG's CW for the 360 are in this group.  (Maybe they're not willing to admit having MG's CW for the 360...)

Gamertag:  mikek1975

aaron sica

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 05:29:07 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'217153\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 05:19 PM\']I played for about 20 mins. last night, then got bounced, tried logging back in for another 20 mins., and then gave up.  I had a fun time for those 20 minutes, even though the two people I played with were not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier of life.

Is anybody up for some Merv Griffin's Crosswords on Saturday before the next 1 vs. 100 beta?  Several games should get most of the players their online achievement points.  Surely some of the 1800 people who have MG's CW for the 360 are in this group.  (Maybe they're not willing to admit having MG's CW for the 360...)

Gamertag:  mikek1975[/quote]

I have the "evaluation" version. Perhaps I should start working toward Points next.............:)