Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...  (Read 14409 times)

Hastin

1 vs. 100 Coming to Xbox Live...
« on: July 14, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
Was reading the liveblog from Engadget over today's Microsoft announcements for the Xbox, and this jumped out at me:

11:17 am PT: A partnership with Endemol manifests in the "primetime" channel, which takes you and your pals into 1 vs. 100, a massively multiplayer game show coming to Xbox Live this Fall. You'll be able to win real prizes even, which we'd speculate include games, MS points and a sense of decency.

Playing 1 vs. 100 with a REAL 100 people? Sounds fun to me. Kinda odd they would license this after the show seems like it's been canned.
-Hastin :)

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
And it would seem that MS is very open to talking with other producers about content from the way I took the intro. Fremantle seems to be a no-brainer partner.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

TonicBH

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:37:33 PM »
As I saw the released trailer, I wondered: "Where the hell is Bob Saget?" He better be in there, or no purchase from me.

I kid, I kid. If they can pull it off, I'll be impressed. But what happens if you don't have 100 players?
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 12:04:02 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'190895\' date=\'Jul 14 2008, 08:37 PM\']
As I saw the released trailer, I wondered: "Where the hell is Bob Saget?" He better be in there, or no purchase from me.

I kid, I kid. If they can pull it off, I'll be impressed. But what happens if you don't have 100 players?
[/quote]
There are 12 million people on Xbox Live worldwide. I'm gonna guess finding 100 of them to play a game, especially under the lure of *real* prizes, won't be a problem.

My gut is that this is going to be huge.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Sodboy13

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 12:59:49 AM »
I can't begin to understand the politics or logistics of cross-platforming something like this, but please, PLEASE, bring it to Wii.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 02:17:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'190902\' date=\'Jul 14 2008, 09:59 PM\']
I can't begin to understand the politics or logistics of cross-platforming something like this, but please, PLEASE, bring it to Wii.
[/quote]
Never happen. I mean, never, EVER happen. Neverminding that a) this is a Microsoft thing designed for Microsoft's own service and b) the Wii doesn't do voice chat at all, Nintendo's got too much of a hard-on about keeping their online community insular. You have to put in at least two codes per person to play Brawl with someone not-random. There is NO WAY that Nintendo would ever let 101 complete strangers actually interact in a free manner with each other. Maybe in a console down the road, if their philosophy changes a LOT, but not on a Wii.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 04:19:57 AM »
Not only that, EA originally had interests in this.  Apparently, they either 1) were not intrerested or 2) were "too busy with other projects" to even consider partnering with Endimol on that game.  Basically, it's "untranslatable" as far as the Wii goes(YUCK!).

If I had an Xbox, I wouldn't mind a good 1 vs. 100 challenge.  If only NBC "cared" enough about this show.  Oh well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190897\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 12:04 AM\']
[/quote]
My only hope is that it lets NBC realize just how dumb they were to can the show, considering it got respectable ratings and won its slot. Not that video game numbers mean anything compared to ratings, but it could just prove the show had a good following.

/The one game show Endemol produced competently
//Made me forget all about Show Me the Money
///But NOT Set for Life
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 09:40:19 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'190917\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 06:39 AM\']
but it could just prove the show had a good following.[/quote]
...or that the show is fun to play, but not to watch.

That's the thing...this is a COMPLETELY different medium than has ever been tried before for something like this. I daresay this is even more interactive than PlayCafe. And if they do this like I THINK they're going to do it, with the exception of the feature hosted games, if you get knocked out? Another game will be starting in a minute, you just jump right along into that.
/The one game show Endemol produced competently
I would not go that far. We've had plenty of complaints about this format from the get-go, most of them involving concepts like "wayyyyyyyyy too slow" and "the One is encouraged to bolt early."

Is it a format that could work over LIVE? Hells yes. But it wasn't necessarily a perfect TV show.

TravisP

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190897\' date=\'Jul 14 2008, 11:04 PM\']
There are 12 million people on Xbox Live worldwide. I'm gonna guess finding 100 of them to play a game, especially under the lure of *real* prizes, won't be a problem.

[/quote]

12 million people on Xbox Live, yes but we have a different Xbox Live server over here in the UK & Europe compared to the US. Many of the downloadable content relating to TV programmes aren't available here. For example, episodes of Family Guy can be downloaded in the US but not over here. Also our 1 Vs 100 is done on a different format so the online experience will be for US users only. It all depends how many xbox live users are over there in your part of the world.

I suspect the real prizes will be extra Microsoft/Xbox points for your live accoumt.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:07:27 PM by TravisP »

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:33:08 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' post=\'190931\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 10:05 AM\']
Also our 1 Vs 100 is done on a different format so the online experience will be for US users only.[/quote]
I don't know that for sure, and neither do you. I do know that they're not launching it worldwide out of the gate, though, so you have a bit of a point, but I'm telling you right now that finding contestants is not going to be a problem. (And I suspect a LIVE version of 1 vs. 100 is going to be different than most any televised format.)
I suspect the real prizes will be extra Microsoft/Xbox points for your live accoumt.
I dearly hope so. People would go NUTS for the chance to win free points.

tvwxman

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
Sorta on topic, but isn't this the kind of game that Michael Davies is rumoured to be developing...something of a 'players in studio take on players on-line or on xbox'?

I think the overall idea is intriguing, but the game format they're using , '1 v 100' is all wrong.

Still, kudos to them for attempting this...think of it as another attempt to bridge the home audience to the in studio game....just like Paranoia did almost 10(!) years ago.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'190933\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 10:38 AM\']
I think the overall idea is intriguing, but the game format they're using , '1 v 100' is all wrong. [/quote]
Why? What would you suggest?

Hastin

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 03:15:57 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'190933\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 10:38 AM\']
I think the overall idea is intriguing, but the game format they're using , '1 v 100' is all wrong.
[/quote]

You're right, it's the wrong game for an online aimed-at-everyone online market. It supports too many players (players should have to wait in a queue for a hotseat - no instant fun for you!), is too accessible (only three answers, why can't this be Greed online), and is too mainstream (they could have picked a more obscure show - how about Double Dare online). With those problems, I'm sure this concept is sure to fail.

Oh, there's a gameplay video up. Looks like it supports the Big Button controllers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:21:49 PM by Hastin »
-Hastin :)

TravisP

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 03:58:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'190932\' date=\'Jul 15 2008, 12:33 PM\']
I dearly hope so. People would go NUTS for the chance to win free points.
[/quote]

I can't see Microsoft offering anything else other than an extension to a user's gold subscription. So you could have the top prize as a ten year subscription extension to Xbox Live Gold which is worth about £400 in retail shops here. I suspect the points system will be more likely though and $1 Million could easily become 100,000 MS Points.

The only way I can see the online experience work is to keep the format whatever that is (players eliminated or money tree) but when somebody decides to walk or lose then the next person can be selected from the remaining players from that game. Basically, do the same contestant selection for the 1 we have here.

I will agree that finding 100 people for one game will not be a problem over there if prizes are offered. I was on Call of Duty 4 last week and at 2pm EST (7pm UK time) there were 120,000 people playing online around the world and I can assure those 120,000 weren't people living in Europe.