Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big news on the TPIR front...  (Read 71289 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Big news on the TPIR front...
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 05:49:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'189542\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 04:44 PM\']
I'm home crying right now. I just saw that man less than two weeks ago...
That's for all of you first graders who needed it spelled out in detail for you.
Man, you're home crying about a TV program that isn't even canceled and you want to call everybody else "first graders".  That's bound to get this thread off to a good start.
[/quote]
QFT.

Still a shame in any case.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'189546\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 05:49 PM\']
QFT.

Still a shame in any case.
[/quote]
Agreed. I am very sorry to read that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JIANORAN

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 05:57:05 PM »
Holy cow, Syd defeats the Dob by a final score of More to Less!

(as Marv Albert) YEESSS!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 05:57:41 PM »
I guess it's true that these days, competent employees aren't allowed to work on game shows.

Dumbest. Decision. Ever. And I mean that. I'll be happy to eat crow if I'm proven wrong.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 05:58:00 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

CX360

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 06:25:25 PM »
[quote name=\'FPGWillyT\' post=\'189531\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 05:27 PM\']
It's true...it's all true.
Two very reliable sources have made this true.

Everyone who loves this show needs to say a prayer for it's "taking a different direction" future.

EVERYONE
[/quote]
And what are those sources?
Golden Road is down for the count it seems. The messages are contradicting though. It says "Maintenance Mode" but then it says "We have reached the end of the Golden Road."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
[quote name=\'JIANORAN\' post=\'189550\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 04:57 PM\']
Holy cow, Syd defeats the Dob by a final score of More to Less!

(as Marv Albert) YEESSS!
[/quote]

No.

I really don't understand what the big deal is.

The show's still on. The show's still a hit.

Relax, guys. It's not as big a deal as certain people are making it out to be.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:26:47 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 06:30:25 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'189557\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM\']The show's still on. The show's still a hit.[/quote]
Really?  It's getting beaten by The View.

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'189557\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM\']Relax, guys. It's not as big a deal as certain people are making it out to be.[/quote]
From what little I've heard so far, I wouldn't bank on that.

PYLdude

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'189559\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 05:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'189557\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM\']The show's still on. The show's still a hit.[/quote]Really?  It's getting beaten by The View.[/quote]

Doesn't mean anything. Has CBS given the slot back to its affiliates yet? Is the show still drawing viewers?

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'189557\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM\']Relax, guys. It's not as big a deal as certain people are making it out to be.
[/quote]

Well, it really isn't a big deal. So The Price is Right is losing its producer. Big friggin' deal.

People aren't going to suddenly stop watching the show because of a new producer or a new way of doing things. Last I checked, Wheel's been on the air for 25 years in syndication, no? And is STILL the most popular syndie offering, no?

It doesn't make a difference. The people who are still watching are still going to watch.

If anything's going to kill the show, it's going to be Drew Carey. Most of us like him, but this is just a message board group. Who's to say that people weren't turned off by him who aren't us (not saying that he isn't immune to criticism)? Who's to say that he's going to keep the audience over time?

It's not going to be the producer who kills TPIR. It's going to be the presenter every time, IMO.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:45:28 PM by Matt Ottinger »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 06:44:59 PM »
Will someone please explain to me why Roger goes and Syd and Bart stay?

Roger has given so much to the show in his 36 years there. He will turn 63 later this month. How tacky to give him the boot now. They could easily have let him continue another two years and let him retire in dignity at age 65. Syd certainly doesn't have a track record of creativity in the field of game shows.

I can't help but wonder if Drew had anything to do with this development. Now Fremantle can take the show in the same direction as two of their previous successes: Match Game '98 and Card Sharks 2001.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:04 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'189561\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 03:40 PM\']
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'189559\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 05:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'189557\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM\']The show's still on. The show's still a hit.[/quote]Really?  It's getting beaten by The View.[/quote]

Doesn't mean anything. Has CBS given the slot back to its affiliates yet? Is the show still drawing viewers?

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'189557\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:26 PM\']Relax, guys. It's not as big a deal as certain people are making it out to be.
[/quote]

Well, it really isn't a big deal. So The Price is Right is losing its producer. Big friggin' deal.

People aren't going to suddenly stop watching the show because of a new producer or a new way of doing things. Last I checked, Wheel's been on the air for 25 years in syndication, no? And is STILL the most popular syndie offering, no?

It doesn't make a difference. The people who are still watching are still going to watch.

If anything's going to kill the show, it's going to be Drew Carey. Most of us like him, but this is just a message board group. Who's to say that people weren't turned off by him who aren't us (not saying that he isn't immune to criticism)? Who's to say that he's going to keep the audience over time?

It's not going to be the producer who kills TPIR. It's going to be the presenter every time, IMO.
[/quote]
The point you're missing is the part about Fremantle taking the show in a "new direction".

I'm willing to bet the show still makes a tidy sum for Fremantle and CBS. Maybe not as much as when Barker was at the helm or as much as in the '70s and '80s, but it's still nothing to sneeze at. Based on my understanding of what they make/made, they could have saved a bundle when Barker left but instead agreed to a contract in which Drew is way, way overpaid, especially considering how lackluster his performances have been in the last year. IOW Barker was costing way too much, but they turned around and agreed to pay Drew way too much.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:54:08 PM by chris319 »

PYLdude

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'189562\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 05:44 PM\']
I can't help but wonder if Drew had anything to do with this development. Now Fremantle can take the show in the same direction as two of their previous successes: Match Game '98 and Card Sharks 2001.
[/quote]

Okay, I give up. You guys wanna be harbingers of doom, you go right ahead.

If I couldn't convince you that you're all overreacting before, I'm never going to.

CJBojangles

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'189562\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:44 PM\']I can't help but wonder if Drew had anything to do with this development. Now Fremantle can take the show in the same direction as two of their previous successes: Match Game '98 and Card Sharks 2001.[/quote]
I can think of no reason why Drew would be involved in Roger leaving the show.

And I still haven't seen any confirmation as to whether his departure was voluntary or mandatory.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »
The point you're missing is the part about Fremantle taking the show in a "new direction".

That's what worries a lot of people, especially with the changes they wanted to make in the first place.
insert signature here

CX360

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
I still haven't seen any confirmation that he's leaving in the first place...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' post=\'189567\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 03:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'189562\' date=\'Jul 3 2008, 06:44 PM\']I can't help but wonder if Drew had anything to do with this development. Now Fremantle can take the show in the same direction as two of their previous successes: Match Game '98 and Card Sharks 2001.[/quote]
I can think of no reason why Drew would be involved in Roger leaving the show.

And I still haven't seen any confirmation as to whether his departure was voluntary or mandatory.
[/quote]
I saw Roger a month ago today and he gave no indication of leaving or wanting to leave or in any way being disillusioned with his job.

I don't know about his relationship with Drew so I can't even begin to speculate on their relationship.