Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune...  (Read 14325 times)

urbanpreppie05

Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune...
« on: June 30, 2008, 07:51:27 PM »
Goodbye Australia....

...and G'day USA...I just saw a promo that the top prize is changing. if My stupid DVR was working I would have a screen cap.

sigh...
insert signature here

tpirfan28

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:22:21 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'189382\' date=\'Jun 30 2008, 07:51 PM\']
...and G'day USA...I just saw a promo that the top prize is changing. if My stupid DVR was working I would have a screen cap.
[/quote]
You have got to be freaking kidding me.  Another reason to avoid that show like the plague.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

catnap1972

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »
He's not kidding...I saw it too.

So how long until "Even Mo'Money" hits J! again?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:26:10 PM by catnap1972 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'189388\' date=\'Jun 30 2008, 07:25 PM\']
He's not kidding...I saw it too.

So how long until "Even Mo'Money" hits J! again?
[/quote]

Where did you see it?

It's not there.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:48:11 PM »
I just happened to be recording Wheel tonight for no apparent reason - hold on, I'll get the clip onto Youtube.

EDIT: The promo from tonight's show (Youtube)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:00:36 PM by Seth Thrasher »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:08:37 PM »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:13:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'189404\' date=\'Jun 30 2008, 09:48 PM\']
I just happened to be recording Wheel tonight for no apparent reason - hold on, I'll get the clip onto Youtube.

EDIT: The promo from tonight's show (Youtube)
[/quote]

Okay.

Now I can sit and scratch my head for the right reason.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

bandit_bobby

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 12:40:58 AM »
I hope that the format for winning the $1,000,000 isn't the same as the one in Austrailia.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 12:01:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'189387\' date=\'Jun 30 2008, 08:22 PM\']You have got to be freaking kidding me.  Another reason to avoid that show like the plague.[/quote]
See, this I don't get.  Mo' Money Syndrome is the (usually) mistaken belief by producers (and especially wannabes) that having a huge grand prize makes a show better.  But on the other side of that coin, I don't really see how having a larger jackpot makes a show, especially an established show, any worse.  I mean, it's not your money, and if the producers want to throw it away, how the fact that a person might win a million dollars an plague-invoked reason to stop watching?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'189414\' date=\'Jul 1 2008, 12:40 AM\']
I hope that the format for winning the $1,000,000 isn't the same as the one in Austrailia.
[/quote]
Why not? At least the Australian version makes you, oh, I dunno, EARN the million dollars. As if, spinning a wheel to randomly determine your winnings isn't too much already?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

weaklink75

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 01:36:10 PM »
I think here it's a decent idea. It didn't work in Australia because it was a new show (it was trying to be a DoND killer- and it got killed in only 5 weeks), plus it was so out of whack with the rest of the prizes available (If the bonus wasn't won on the show, they only gave away about $5,000 in total- then other than the $1m and $200K, the top prize was a $30K car and the rest were in the $5-$10K range)

Here it's established, and they've been tweaking the game almost every year anyway- plus it's not so out of whack ($25K+ won by the players even without a bonus win is pretty much normal with the Prize Puzzle and $6K in tossups every show, plus the minimum in the bonus round is the $25K). I don't mind it, since they'll mess around with the schedule if it's won anyway to get the win in a Sweeps month (and if it happens on the road? The reaction from the audience would be amazing)....and I'll also admit it's a attempt to be a DOND killer as well (although I suspect DoND is more for the afternoon timeslots than 7-8pm)...I'm actually a little suprised they didn't do this a couple of years ago...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:36:34 PM by weaklink75 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 01:46:58 PM »
Even though it's evident to people who watched the video, I'm surprised no one mentioned that the promo features the words "one million" in a third-of-a-wedge previously occupied by $10,000. So if that promo is indeed from an already recorded show, and is not just speculative imagery, then the road to a million will parallel the Aussies in at least some fashion.

The fact the man in the promo is waving the "wrong" side of the wedge made me extrapolate and come up with a fun format for it, whether it be the real one or not: with "one million" on a third of a wedge...if somebody spins it and calls a correct letter, they can keep the wedge with that side up, and have it act as their "ticket" to a possible million in the bonus round. Or, they can flip it over and take the $10,000 as was the case previously? It's a bit confusing, admittedly, but gambling $10,000 now over a possible million might be interesting...at least for somebody Wheel-wise anyway, who can all but guarantee victory with superb toss-up skills.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 02:01:18 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'189426\' date=\'Jul 1 2008, 10:46 AM\']
The fact the man in the promo is waving the "wrong" side of the wedge made me extrapolate and come up with a fun format for it, whether it be the real one or not: with "one million" on a third of a wedge...if somebody spins it and calls a correct letter, they can keep the wedge with that side up, and have it act as their "ticket" to a possible million in the bonus round. Or, they can flip it over and take the $10,000 as was the case previously? It's a bit confusing, admittedly, but gambling $10,000 now over a possible million might be interesting...at least for somebody Wheel-wise anyway, who can all but guarantee victory with superb toss-up skills.
[/quote]
That's a pretty interesting idea. Do you take the almost guaranteed $10K (assuming you're a skilled Wheel player), or do you give it up for an almost guaranteed 1/24 shot at a million? I'd probably go for it, just because I'm confident in my abilities to almost make up the $10k throughout the game even if I don't nail the million.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'189426\' date=\'Jul 1 2008, 01:46 PM\']
Even though it's evident to people who watched the video, I'm surprised no one mentioned that the promo features the words "one million" in a third-of-a-wedge previously occupied by $10,000. So if that promo is indeed from an already recorded show, and is not just speculative imagery, then the road to a million will parallel the Aussies in at least some fashion.
[/quote]
Wheel's new season doesn't start taping until next week. I think they just put that together for the promo. (At the same time, I can't understand why they would build a prop for just a promo, so maybe that is how they'll give it away.)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »
My money's on it being computer-generated over the $10,000 wedge. We know they can display the back side of a Mystery Wedge at the appropriate angle over the wheel, and they can make the border of the Big Money Wedge glow, even as the wheel slows down. So it's not too far-fetched that they could change "$10,000" to "ONE MILLION" for a brief promo.

Besides, why would they go to the trouble of shooting Pat and a stand-in waving a new prop around for a fraction of a second of footage for a promo, especially since all of the other clips in the promo are taken out of context from normal episodes?

--
Scott Robinson