Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Match Game" host will be...  (Read 27501 times)

inturnaround

"Match Game" host will be...
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:42:48 AM »
According to their posts on the comedy fanboard "A Special Thing", the new host of Fremantle's "Match Game" remake will not be longtime LA live show host (and former "National Lampoon's Funny Money" emcee) Jimmy Pardo, but instead former "Mad TV" cast member Andy Daly.

While I'm sad Jimmy didn't get the gig, I'm glad it went to someone as sharp as Andy.

No official word outside of these posts, however. The AST board is well-known as a hang-out for comedians and both Andy Daly and Jimmy Pardo post there. (AST produces Pardo's podcast "Never Not Funny"...on which Daly has been a guest on a few occasions)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 11:50:21 AM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »
At first I was horrified at the choice, then realized I was thinking of Andy Dick.

I remember Daly from doing one season of MadTV, but don't remember any significant sketches he appeared in (maybe because I thought the 2001 season was horrible and filled with way too many "Stuart" sketches).

Would like to have seen Pardo get a shot, but I'm interested to see where Daly can go with this.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

inturnaround

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:38:24 PM »
He was Ben Franklin on that memorable episode of "The Office" and he was the announcer in Will Ferrell's "Semi-Pro".

No doubt the man is funny and he has made me laugh many times. I think he's now the least of our worries when it comes to the remake. What will they do for a panel?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

xavier45

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:49:11 PM »
Buzzerblog posted this morning that on the Audience Casting notice, two celebs are listed. Those two celebs are Sarah Silverman and Norm Mcdonald.

Here is the page for the Audience: http://www.ocatv.com/shows/show/210
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:53:23 PM by xavier45 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:10:31 PM »
[quote name=\'xavier45\' post=\'188346\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 09:49 AM\']
Those two celebs are Sarah Silverman and Norm Mcdonald.
[/quote]
http://webhollis.com/albums/Pop-SNL-Celebr...rdy04.thumb.jpg

Approves

/it's a big hat
//it's funny
///because it's big
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:11:37 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 03:08:49 PM »
You don't hire a comedian to emcee Match Game. Does anyone not understand why?

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'188352\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 03:08 PM\']
[/quote]
Because the material (and subsequently the celebrities) should make the entertainment? With the host making wisecracks as well, you lose someone to moderate the zaniness, and wind up with a clusterfrick of a show, esp. with two established comedians on the panel?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »
[/quote]
True, but you don't want someone who will be a complete stick up there.

But we all know that they want more comedians for more laughs, even (probably) at the expense of the game.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »
I think it's fine to hire a comedian, if said comedian is allowed/instructed to keep control first and foremost. I think Gene Rayburn was a very funny man, but he knew when to crack wise and when to move the game along. Also, a good stand-up comedian has experience with "crowd control" and with watching a clock.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 04:42:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'188361\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 03:33 PM\']
I think it's fine to hire a comedian, if said comedian is allowed/instructed to keep control first and foremost. I think Gene Rayburn was a very funny man, but he knew when to crack wise and when to move the game along. Also, a good stand-up comedian has experience with "crowd control" and with watching a clock.
[/quote]
Wasn't Ross Shafer a stand-up comic before delving into talk shows and eventually into the MG90 gig?

/Shafer isn't really on my list of what went wrong with that show.
//Too many Susan Norfleet appearances is high on my list.
///Not to mention Scorch.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:44:29 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

inturnaround

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 05:31:42 PM »
[/quote]

But not all comedians are the same. Robin Williams /= David Walliams, for example.

Daly's a reserved kind of guy. He's not going to step on peoples lines and he's not going to want to be the center of attention. He'll run the game well and he'll get in a line or two, playing off what the contetants and panel feed him. His improv background will shine through.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 06:42:19 PM »
I'm much more concerned about Sarah destroying the show with her self-absorption.

And I even think she's funny. (Sometimes.)
@lambertman

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'188371\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 06:42 PM\']
I'm much more concerned about Sarah destroying the show with her self-absorption.
[/quote]
My thing with Silverman is that she tries entirely way too hard to be edgy or controversial. If she can just give answers and the occasional wisecrack, then I'm all for it.

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 06:52:08 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'188372\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 06:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'188371\' date=\'Jun 17 2008, 06:42 PM\']
[/quote]
she can just give answers and the occasional wisecrack, then I'm all for it.
[/quote]
Which , as you can bet right now, that just ain't going to happen.

Norm, I think , will be good at this. Sarah, I think, will not.

So far, I'm mixed on this remake. Is the 6 member panel going to be the same every episode?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

whewfan

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 07:21:55 PM »
I agree. I think Sarah does try WAY too hard to be edgy. Then again, Kathy Griffin can also be very edgy and caustic with her material, but she kept a good restraint as a MG panelist when she did MG with Ricki Lake. I think if they can find a middle ground between the "perfect chemistry" that MG 7x had and the "so risque that over half the answers had to be censored" that MG 98 had, it might be okay. Rosie O'Donnell also might make for a good panelist, because I think when it comes to game shows, she knows it's about playing the game and not about pushing her views which she did on her daytime show.

I am actually relieved that Hilary won't be president only because we had MORE than enough of Bill Clinton stuff on MG 98.