Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale question  (Read 8687 times)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
$ale question
« on: June 09, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »
After looking at many classic $ale, the Aussie Temptation, and our craptation episodes, the host normally offers an additional cash gift or a reduced bargain if the contestant buys. My question concerns whether the decisions to bargain or bribe are up to the decision of the producer or the host, or a combination of both?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
$ale question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Strikerz04\' post=\'187792\' date=\'Jun 9 2008, 04:54 PM\']After looking at many classic $ale, the Aussie Temptation, and our craptation episodes, the host normally offers an additional cash gift or a reduced bargain if the contestant buys. My question concerns whether the decisions to bargain or bribe are up to the decision of the producer or the host, or a combination of both?[/quote]This is only One Man's Opinion, but I can't imagine something as important as the reduction of a bargain's cost or addition of cash would be left to the discretion of the host, or you'd see something like this:

"You're ahead only by $5, but I'd really like you to have that trip to Tahiti, so I'll knock the price from $18 to $3, and add $700 in cash."

Perhaps not that dire, but possible. My guess is that the producer was off in the wings with a cue card or equivalent.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

$ale question
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'187824\' date=\'Jun 9 2008, 11:59 PM\']
Perhaps not that dire, but possible. My guess is that the producer was off in the wings with a cue card or equivalent.
[/quote]
I'm thinking even the IFB...best way I can describe it is an earpiece that viewers usually don't see (the earpiece is connected to a cord, usually tucked away under the suit jacket). All the producer has to do is give cues from the booth (or table).

Pure speculation, they most likely had a rundown of which bargains would be offered, no? Would said rundown mention the $ale price, and then maybe indicate which bargains Jim/Rossi could haggle on?

Forgive me if I ramble, I still haven't finished my coffee and I'm typing as much as I can before I get to work. :-P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:43:41 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

$ale question
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:05:40 AM »
I doubt that it's nearly as elaborate as cue cards or an IFB in the host's ear.  More likely is that the host is told how far he can go beforehand, and at least with Jim Perry, probably had leeway on how to approach the deal within that maximum.  I haven't watched a lot of Temptation (my market doesn't carry it) but my guess is that Rossi is on a shorter leash just because that's the way things are done today.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

joker316

$ale question
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:15:33 AM »
IIRC weren't the "bribes" a little higher when the champ was the bargainer and was close to the high levels at the final sale (the car,jackpot, the floor, etc.) It could be producer's discretion based on who the bargainer was.

Then again, my memory may be fuzzy!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

Sodboy13

$ale question
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:06 AM »
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'187846\' date=\'Jun 10 2008, 10:15 AM\']
IIRC weren't the "bribes" a little higher when the champ was the bargainer and was close to the high levels at the final sale (the car,jackpot, the floor, etc.) It could be producer's discretion based on who the bargainer was.

[/quote]

Indeed.  There's a clip on YouTube of a several-day champ who hadn't gone for a single IB during her entire run.  Jim plays up the begging and pleading, and does everything short of making it rain, Pacman Jones-style, as he lays out the hundreds.  I'm pretty sure she still didn't go for it, but no Flash on my work comp=me not being able to verify at this moment.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

tpirfan28

$ale question
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:47:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'187849\' date=\'Jun 10 2008, 11:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'187846\' date=\'Jun 10 2008, 10:15 AM\']

[/quote]

Indeed.  There's a clip on YouTube of a several-day champ who hadn't gone for a single IB during her entire run.  Jim plays up the begging and pleading, and does everything short of making it rain, Pacman Jones-style, as he lays out the hundreds.  I'm pretty sure she still didn't go for it, but no Flash on my work comp=me not being able to verify at this moment.
[/quote]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1obGNqv80Lw

She doesn't take it.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Kevin Prather

$ale question
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:24:25 PM »
Ah yes. The world-famous Alice Conkwright, the lady who did not buy ONE instant bargain.

tpirfan28

$ale question
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »
Okay, for those who have seen her run...is there any reason why she didn't take any bargains?  Was she not good on the buzzer during speed rounds, and wanted to protect early leads?  Or was it just a case of not wanting anything they peddled in front of ther?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

$ale question
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 06:28:02 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'187889\' date=\'Jun 10 2008, 06:09 PM\']
Okay, for those who have seen her run...is there any reason why she didn't take any bargains?  Was she not good on the buzzer during speed rounds, and wanted to protect early leads?  Or was it just a case of not wanting anything they peddled in front of ther?
[/quote]
Haven't seen the run, but personally, I'm gonna play to win. That $6 or $7 purchase (give or take) could bite me in the rear end...lose, and you go home with just the couple hundred in your "account" and maybe the one or two bargains you bought.

Orrrrr.....

Highest card on the Fame Game board is what, $25? I'm up $20 and my opponent answers a Fame Game question and hits that $25 card, I might break a small sweat and pray that I do well in the Speed Round.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:29:59 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

$ale question
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 07:16:56 PM »
Something else to consider. Lot wins usually take 8 or 9 games. She won in 6.

Don Howard

$ale question
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 11:44:06 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'187894\' date=\'Jun 10 2008, 07:16 PM\']
Something else to consider. Lot wins usually take 8 or 9 games. She won in 6.
[/quote]
Which was fine with me because I couldn't stand her. It got her out of there faster.

Stripey

$ale question
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »
[/quote]
You'd think so, but there was no flaw in her game; she just played an extremely conservative strategy. All of her matches were blowouts. She was an extremely good player at every stage of the game. I was a little surprised to see Don say that he couldn't stand her. She was my favorite Sale champion. It was fun to see someone play the game as aggressively as it could be played.

Side note: On her first appearance, she ousted an excellent champion who was playing for the lot + cash jackpot.

Jimmy Owen

$ale question
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 04:34:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Stripey\' post=\'188066\' date=\'Jun 12 2008, 04:09 PM\']
[/quote]
You'd think so, but there was no flaw in her game; she just played an extremely conservative strategy. All of her matches were blowouts. She was an extremely good player at every stage of the game. I was a little surprised to see Don say that he couldn't stand her. She was my favorite Sale champion. It was fun to see someone play the game as aggressively as it could be played.

Side note: On her first appearance, she ousted an excellent champion who was playing for the lot + cash jackpot.
[/quote]

Yes, but a better champion would have purchased all the instant bargains every time and also had enough every day to win the game.  Part of the gimmick of $ale is that you can buy luxurious items for very little money.  She never took advantage of that.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

J.R.

$ale question
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'188067\' date=\'Jun 12 2008, 03:34 PM\']Yes, but a better champion would have purchased all the instant bargains every time and also had enough every day to win the game.  Part of the gimmick of $ale is that you can buy luxurious items for very little money.  She never took advantage of that.
[/quote]
"Luxurious items" that you may not really want and come with tax burdens.

Personally, I thought Alice was a great champion. She came to win the lot. Period. No frills, no messing about. Her "All The Way or Bust" attitude (as well as some impressive victories) made Alice Conkright a personal favorite of mine.

/Yet, didn't the $otC staff refer to her as "spooky"?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:42:17 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor