Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A couple of Super Password questions  (Read 4104 times)

Vahan_Nisanian

A couple of Super Password questions
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »
1) I know that the week with Abby Dalton was the first taped week to feature Gene Wood whispering the passwords, but was it also the first taped[/i] week to feature the contestants already being seated at the frontgame desk at the start of the show, and the split-screen angles in the endgame?

2) Exactly how many times had the show been preempted by the time it taped its first All-star week with Sally Struthers, Art Metrano, Brenda Vaccaro & Dick Sargent? I know that it happened at least 5 times, once during the Lauri Hendler & Jamie Farr week (12/31/84-1/4/85), once during the Mary Cadorette & Orson Bean week (1/21/85-1/25/85), once during the Marcia Wallace & Henry Polic II week (12/30/85-1/3/86, please correct me if I'm wrong on that one), once during the Kim Miyori & Bill Cullen week (1/27/86-1/31/86), and once during the Patty Duke & Nathan Cook week (2/24/86-2/28/86), but were there any others before that point in the shows' run?

Thank you in advance.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'186413\' date=\'May 20 2008, 12:46 PM\']
2) Exactly how many times had the show been preempted by the time it taped its first All-star week with Sally Struthers, Art Metrano, Brenda Vaccaro & Dick Sargent?[/quote]
What? Really?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 09:13:55 PM »
1) I don't know.

2) I don't know.

Wapner at five, K-Mart sucks.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »
In "Rain Man," that whole "Wapner at 5" thing was totaly bogus.  If he had been a true savant he would have known "People's Court" was syndicated.  Of course, being a savant, he might have memorized the time slot in each market.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:13:15 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'186518\' date=\'May 21 2008, 07:10 AM\']
In "Rain Man," that whole "Wapner at 5" thing was totaly bogus.  If he had been a true savant he would have known "People's Court" was syndicated.  Of course, being a savant, he might have memorized the time slot in each market.[/quote]
I giggl'd.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 02:54:42 PM »
Pardon my ignorance, but pyrfan explained it in this post:

http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/index.php?show...c=11618&hl=

/slaps self for being a victim of his own ignorance... again.

pyrfan

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
Two other preemptions before December 1986:

1. The Vicki Lawrence/Dick Martin week in November 1985. There was no episode on Thursday due to Thanksgiving.

2. The Jenilee Harrison/Michael Young week in June/July of 1986. No episode on Friday due to Independence Day.

By the way, there wasn't an actual preemption during the Miyori/Cullen week. Because of news coverage of the Challenger explosion on Tuesday, the rest of that week got bumped one day later, as did the next few weeks' worth of episodes. The Duke/Cook week only had four days so that they could get back on a regular Monday-through-Friday air schedule.

Brendan

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 11:30:02 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'186925\' date=\'May 27 2008, 10:14 PM\']
2. The Jenilee Harrison/Michael Young week in June/July of 1986. No episode on Friday due to Independence Day.
[/quote]
Independence Day, or Wimbledon?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:23:36 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:20:56 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'186926\' date=\'May 27 2008, 08:30 PM\'][quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'186925\' date=\'May 27 2008, 10:14 PM\']2. The Jenilee Harrison/Michael Young week in June/July of 1986. No episode on Friday due to Independence Day.[/quote]Independence Day, or Wimbledon?[/quote]Well, both; "The Championships" usually have matches on the Fourth of July (or as the Brits call it, "the fourth of July.")
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'186926\' date=\'May 27 2008, 11:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' post=\'186925\' date=\'May 27 2008, 10:14 PM\']
[/quote]
Independence Day, or Wimbledon?
[/quote]

IIRC -- July 4, 1986 was a bigger 4th than usual (with the exception of '76) as it coincided with the reopening of the Statue of Liberty after its renovation, and CBS and ABC's (at least morning) schedules were pre-empted..

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 06:43:35 PM »
Thanks, pyrfan, for you help. :)

BTW, pyrfan, I have one more question regarding Super Password: Exactly which weeks in 1987 and 1988, got bumped days later, because of news bulletins, and as a result, they had to tape some 4-episode weeks in order to get back on track?

pyrfan

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'187221\' date=\'Jun 1 2008, 06:43 PM\']
Thanks, pyrfan, for you help. :)

BTW, pyrfan, I have one more question regarding Super Password: Exactly which weeks in 1987 and 1988, got bumped days later, because of news bulletins, and as a result, they had to tape some 4-episode weeks in order to get back on track?
[/quote]
Glad to help. If I recall correctly, things first got off track in the spring of 1987 when breaking news of Gary Hart's affair interrupted SP during the Constance McCashin/Edwin Newman week. Because of the Oliver North hearings the next month, it took them till August to finally get back on a regular Monday-through-Friday schedule. They tried twice that summer, with consecutive weeks in June (featuring Vicki Lawrence & Joseph Campanella and Leann Hunley & Kevin Peter Hall, respectively) taping only four episodes apiece, but more pre-emptions kept this plan from working. They finally got back on Monday through Friday the week of August 10th, with guest stars Martha Smith and Richard Simmons, and this week featured the normal five shows. (Coincidentally, that's the week that new episodes of "The $25,000 Pyramid" finally resumed.)

They got off the track again in November of 1987. I think an episode of the "Night Court" vs. "Dynasty" week was bumped a day later for some reason. The Daphne Maxwell-Reid/Brad Garrett week only had four days, but it was supposed to because of Thanksgiving. The Sally Struthers/David Doyle week taped only four shows to allow them to get back on track again. The James Doohan/Michael Dorn week also had only four episodes, but this was because of New Year's.

The next time they got off track was during July of 1988, though I can't remember why. They taped four episodes the week that Marsha Warfield and Pat McCormick were guests, but since Monday was the Fourth of July, I want to say that those four episodes were planned for a while. They caught back up at the end of August, taping four shows for the Anne Meara/Paul Kreppel week.

They got off track one more time, and it was sometime in December. There were four episodes taped that featured Roz Ryan and Bill Kirchenbauer, but, again, since this was New Year's week, this was probably planned ahead of time. In February of 1989, three weeks featured six shows: the Pat Carroll/Andrew Stevens week, the Edie McClurg/Pat Harrington week, and the Marsha Warfield/Jamie Farr week. The final two weeks of the show featured five shows apiece and were on a regular Monday-through-Friday schedule.

Just to round this all out, there were also only four shows for the following weeks in December of 1986: Leann Hunley & Richard Simmons, Mary Ann Mobley & Gary Collins, and Ilene Graff & Christopher Hewett. In a strange coincidence, in all three of those weeks, one celeb was shut out of the end game all week long. (The "losers" were Leann, Mary Ann, and Christopher.)

Brendan