Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune  (Read 6800 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
And...speaking of "how long"...when was the last time anyone won anything besides a trip or a car as a prize?  I thought I had read somewhere that they decided to no longer do this, but I could be mistaken.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Unrealtor

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 07:58:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'185419\' date=\'May 5 2008, 06:52 PM\']
And...speaking of "how long"...when was the last time anyone won anything besides a trip or a car as a prize?  I thought I had read somewhere that they decided to no longer do this, but I could be mistaken.
[/quote]

ISTR that one of the "25" space prizes early in the season was $2500 worth of gasoline. But that space is the only place I've seen something other than a car or a trip in a long time.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Casey Buck

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 07:58:32 PM »
For what it's worth, Jamie's Page O'Clips had a Woolery Wheel episode that managed to get in 5 rounds; that's probably about the equivalent to 7 rounds without the shopping.

wheelloon

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »
To answer the original question, yes, there has been a 7th regular round played in one show. The one time I saw it occurred last season, and it is the only time I've seen it. A fourth toss-up was not played, however, as the player who won the 3rd toss-up got to start the round. Likely, there is another instance where it has happened though. Last season, IIRC, the Round 7 started as an immediate speed-up, and Pat didn't really play much into it, about how they might "run out of puzzles" or something, like he could've easily done and has been known to do in the past.

And, to boot, I think it's a bit humorously ironic that I seemingly have the longest list of gripes compared to others. I don't know if I could call myself a true purist though, as I do like the Jackpot, Mystery Rounds, 10k space, and the Prize Puzzles, but I'm not so hot on the Wild Card, gift tags, toss-ups, the lack of unique prizes on the show (a bit of laziness I feel as well), the same number of ads as a friggin Super Bowl game, and the bare bones set.

I'd ax one of the first two toss-ups for sure, and I've love to see a new wheel layout within the next few years (again, issue with laziness). Seeing the same basic wheel setup for 30 minutes, 195 shows a year, for what has been almost a decade now, has gotten boring (not that the average viewer would likely notice). Oh yeah, as for the set, get a $100k sign or put some kind of border around that puzzle board. If you spent that god-awful amount of money on HD conversion, FLAUNT IT!

The easiest change, though, I'd think would be with the prizes offered. Don't tell me the desire for winning appliances, jewelry, TV's, and such has dropped off on game shows in recent years, I think Drew would object in a heartbeat...
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Chelsea Thrasher

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 08:31:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'185421\' date=\'May 5 2008, 06:58 PM\']
For what it's worth, Jamie's Page O'Clips had a Woolery Wheel episode that managed to get in 5 rounds; that's probably about the equivalent to 7 rounds without the shopping.
[/quote]

Remember though that Woolery's wheel also had NO bonus round (Star Bonus excepted), which is what really dragged down the shopping format when the nighttime show rolled around. Getting to round four is a pretty common occurrence in the dozen or so episodes I've seen of that part of the run - getting to five certainly wouldn't be unheard of by those standards.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:32:18 PM by Seth Thrasher »

TimK2003

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 08:41:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'185420\' date=\'May 5 2008, 07:58 PM\']
ISTR that one of the "25" space prizes early in the season was $2500 worth of gasoline. But that space is the only place I've seen something other than a car or a trip in a long time.
[/quote]

Talk about a prize that loses value right off the bat:

SCENARIO:  If gas was $2.50/gal at the time of taping -- you have 1000 gallons. Then take out the IRS tax on the value of the prize (say 33% or $825 in taxes paid) leaves you with $1675 worth of gas.

At $2.50/gal that got you 670 gallons of gas...Still not too bad!

But when you officially get your $1675 "prize" 90 days later, gas is now at $3.25/gal -- now your prize "after taxes" is good for only 479 gallons!

Today, if that contestant spent only $675 (and may have only used 175-200 gallons up to now), leaving $1,000 remaining in the gas account, -- at $4.00/gal said contestant now has only 250 gallons of free gas left.  

By the time all is said and done, said contestant may be lucky to have squeezed out 350 gallons out of what could have been 1,000 gallons of gas (or 670 after taxes)!  

Whatever happened to the days when the gas prizes were awarded in Gallons and not Dollars???

/But then again, ANY free gas right now aint bad.

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 09:27:31 PM »
I recall an episode, from maybe the early '90s, where they made it to a round 7. It was a Family Week, and the winning team was two tall brothers in the third spot who celebrated their wins by hugging each other and Pat (who seemed moderately afraid that he was going to be crushed).

I agree that the gameplay itself is still more or less fine, and that it's everything else that's been sorely lacking in recent years. Someone mentioned not too long ago that Pat being sarcastic about new puzzles and such wasn't very professional--be that as it may, it's often the only thing that keeps me watching an entire episode.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 09:34:38 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'185426\' date=\'May 5 2008, 07:41 PM\']Whatever happened to the days when the gas prizes were awarded in Gallons and not Dollars???[/quote]In Wheel's defense, since the retail prices of the prizes are used for scorekeeping, it's a lot easier to award $2,500 in gasoline rather than estimate the price of a gallon of gas, then multiplying by 2,500. It's also easier for the sponsor to simply send the winner $2,500 in gasoline gift cards.

My biggest frustration with Wheel right now is that there are too many special rounds played every day. If each day alternated between Jackpot, Mystery Wedge, and Big Money Wedge, the wheel would feel less cluttered and it would make it more special when a contestant is able to cash in on a special round. (I'd also propose not doing the Prize Puzzle every day, but I'm sure the Wheel Watchers Club is such a success that it would be foolish from a marketing standpoint to cut back.)

My second biggest frustration is with the unneccessary variations on the basic categories. I was in favor of making Proper Name a category, I didn't mind the introduction of On the Map, but categories such as Food and Drink and What Are You Doing? are going too far.

--
Scott Robinson
also thinks the execution of the Wild Card is no less clunky now than when it was introduced

Chelsea Thrasher

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 11:32:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'185432\' date=\'May 5 2008, 08:27 PM\']
Someone mentioned not too long ago that Pat being sarcastic about new puzzles and such wasn't very professional
[/quote]

That's nothing new by any stretch - you can tune into GSN at 10:30 AM and see the man skewering Megaword, for example, every last time it comes up. And these are from 1994/95.  Before & After and Same Name tended to result in a lot of jokes when they were newer as well.  

If someone's complaining because of Pat's sarcastic streak and implying that's a recent development, clearly they just haven't been paying attention.

Jay Temple

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'185420\' date=\'May 5 2008, 06:58 PM\']ISTR that one of the "25" space prizes early in the season was $2500 worth of gasoline. But that space is the only place I've seen something other than a car or a trip in a long time.
[/quote]
In other words, they filled the tank of the car they were giving away.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Robert Hutchinson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 10:43:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'185445\' date=\'May 5 2008, 11:32 PM\']If someone's complaining because of Pat's sarcastic streak and implying that's a recent development, clearly they just haven't been paying attention.[/quote]
I think you misread me--I meant that Pat often treats lots of new "features" that way (like Megaword), not that the behavior itself was new.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Chelsea Thrasher

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 10:45:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'185544\' date=\'May 6 2008, 09:43 PM\']

I think you misread me--I meant that Pat often treats lots of new "features" that way (like Megaword), not that the behavior itself was new.
[/quote]

I see - I transplanted the word "new" elsewhere in the sentence.  I stand corrected.

/Speedreading is bad, m'kay?
//Except when it's good...