Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune  (Read 6815 times)

abba

Wheel of Fortune
« on: May 05, 2008, 01:23:44 AM »
Was there ever a 7th round in Wheel of Fortune?

Chelsea Thrasher

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'185369\' date=\'May 5 2008, 12:23 AM\']
Was there ever a 7th round in Wheel of Fortune?
[/quote]

Maybe.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:44:46 PM by Seth Thrasher »

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
If you count toss-ups, then they definitely play seven rounds every night. As far as pre-tossup era, I remember seeing six rounds, but never seven. If they did, then it was probably only once or twice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:38:53 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

abba

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'185389\' date=\'May 5 2008, 01:38 PM\']
If you count toss-ups, then they definitely play seven rounds every night. As far as pre-tossup era, I remember seeing six rounds, but never seven. If they did, then it was probably only once or twice.
[/quote]Not including toss-ups.

urbanpreppie05

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
I KNOW i'm in the minority on this but...

While we're on the subject of Wheel of Fortune's rounds...extra stuff withstanding (the gift tags, the mystery round, the 25 space, the Big money space) I rather like the newer format- the game seems a lot faster.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:06:19 PM by urbanpreppie05 »
insert signature here

Matt Ottinger

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 04:29:57 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'185392\' date=\'May 5 2008, 03:04 PM\']
I KNOW i'm in the minority on this but...
While we're on the subject of Wheel of Fortune's rounds...extra stuff withstanding (the gift tags, the mystery round, the 25 space, the Big money space) I rather like the newer format- the game seems a lot faster.[/quote]
If you're in the minority, I'm right there with you.  It's a fairly common thing for purists to bemoan any changes to an established format and those of us who passively like it (or don't care) to stay silent.  I can't think of a single change that I feel hurt the show, much less make it "unwatchable" as some have cried.  

It's 2008 and millions of people every day are still watching Hangman on television, essentially the same game that's been on television since 1975.  They must be doing something right.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'185396\' date=\'May 5 2008, 04:29 PM\']
It's 2008 and millions of people every day are still watching Hangman on television, essentially the same game that's been on television since 1975.  They must be doing something right.
[/quote]
I like a few of the changes (and the fact that my hometown made it into a puzzle six nine weeks ago ;-) )...my biggest gripe is the puzzle writing leaves a lot to be desired.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:59:34 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »
Really, the only BIG problem I have with the show is the sponsorship of every last little thing they think they can slap a sponsor on. ("I'll give the wheel a final spin, brought to you by Maytag!") Beyond that, it's just that I personally don't really care for the show anymore; probably a function of being WAY overexposed to it when I was in middle and high school.

/the idiot contestants don't help
//no offense to anyone here who's been on the show
///unless you're an idiot
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 05:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'185392\' date=\'May 5 2008, 02:04 PM\']
While we're on the subject of Wheel of Fortune's rounds...extra stuff withstanding (the gift tags, the mystery round, the 25 space, the Big money space) I rather like the newer format- the game seems a lot faster.
[/quote]

Could it be the game seems faster because there's less of it, thanks to commercial sponsorships and actual commercials?

And playing devil's advocate concerning its popularity, Wheel hasn't faced new competition since. . . when? It's still Entertainment Tonight, all the poor man's Entertainment Tonights, and sitcom reruns. Hollywood Squares was probably the last well-funded, well-cleared entry in prime access time. Before that it was, what, "$100,000 Name That Tune" back in the mid 80s?

uncamark

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:11:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'185400\' date=\'May 5 2008, 04:02 PM\']
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'185392\' date=\'May 5 2008, 02:04 PM\']
[/quote]

Could it be the game seems faster because there's less of it, thanks to commercial sponsorships and actual commercials?

And playing devil's advocate concerning its popularity, Wheel hasn't faced new competition since. . . when? It's still Entertainment Tonight, all the poor man's Entertainment Tonights, and sitcom reruns. Hollywood Squares was probably the last well-funded, well-cleared entry in prime access time. Before that it was, what, "$100,000 Name That Tune" back in the mid 80s?
[/quote]

"The Challengers" was supposed to go head-on against "Wheel" and "J!" in many markets, but didn't last long.

All of the nighttime versions of daytime shows were meant to run in access--"Win, Lose or Draw," "Sale of the Century," "$100K Pyramid" and, of course, "Feud" with Combs.  "Feud" was on the NBC-owned stations in access its first few years and was promoted up the wazoo on those stations during the 1988 Olympics (they even made Olympic-themed promos with Combs struggling to be an athlete).

And don't forget Davison "TPIR," although I don't know how many access slots it got.

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 05:26:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'185398\' date=\'May 5 2008, 03:55 PM\']
"I'll give the wheel a final spin, brought to you by Maytag![/quote]
Well played, sir. :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:26:27 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

J.R.

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 05:33:14 PM »
-Joe Raygor

chad1m

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'185397\' date=\'May 5 2008, 04:39 PM\']my biggest gripe is the puzzle writing leaves a lot to be desired.[/quote]Definitely agree. At least one puzzle a day, due to the Prize Puzzle, is going to be somehow related to vacationing or how lovely the place is they're sending you. It wouldn't be such a big deal if the prizes weren't always trips. I wouldn't mind seeing a phrase, like  "Tickling the ivories", then being awarded a piano. You've got 50,000 categories, Wheel. Use some of 'em!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:51:05 PM by chad1m »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 06:38:14 PM »
Indeed, it seems more like laziness than anything, because they have shown they're capable of doing puzzles related to the location without being a variant on "enjoying the sun" which seems to be their favorite Event/What Are You Doing? puzzle to use for the trips. Things like a pineapple dish as a Food & Drink puzzle for a trip to Hawaii work well. They did one the other day, "The Forty-Ninth State" for a trip to Alaska. Again, good ideas they seem averse to using.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 07:22:15 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'185411\' date=\'May 5 2008, 04:50 PM\']
I wouldn't mind seeing a phrase, like  "Tickling the ivories", then being awarded a piano. You've got 50,000 categories, Wheel. Use some of 'em!
[/quote]
I've always been surprised that they never used the Prize Puzzle to advertise Sony's electronics, or any stereotypical game show prizes, come to think of it. Wouldn't people still be somewhat excited to win a kitchen full of modern appliances? Looking at my kitchen, I sure as heck would be.

Speaking of puzzle problems, does anybody remember the last time Wheel had a regular two word puzzle, not including any toss-up/speed round/bonus puzzles?
EDIT- Speak of the devil-they actually had a regular two word puzzle tonight.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:12:56 PM by rollercoaster87 »