Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...  (Read 17848 times)

Mr. Bill

And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 08:30:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'194341\' date=\'Aug 17 2008, 01:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'TwoInchQuad\' post=\'184670\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 01:19 PM\']
Worst:

Mark Goodson on "to Tell the Truth".  For a guy who created so many television shows, and therefore spent so much time around TV studios, he had the most wooden on-camera demeanor that I've ever seen.

I mean, the show cues were all written out for the host on those cards that Bud would carry out to the desk with him every day... it's not **that** hard to deliver lines that a) you've heard about a million times before and  b) are sitting right in front of your face!

-Kevin
[/quote]
Four and a half months later, I noticed the reference to Bud. You mean he filled in for two different hosts? Interesting.
[/quote]
Indeed he did!  At least a couple of them aired a few years ago on GSN during their MG tribute, IIRC.  They were color daytime episodes from late in the run.  I don't remember now if they specifically mentioned the reason for Bud's absence, but by that time his health had gotten very bad.

calliaume

« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 12:48:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TenPoundHammer\' post=\'197398\' date=\'Sep 16 2008, 11:23 PM\']
I read in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader that Trebek filled in because Woolery was ill.
[/quote]
Never, never cite John Javna (a.k.a. Uncle John) as a definitive source.  Nice guy, but a lot of his stuff is not well researched.

(Side note:  about eight years ago, Javna was supposed to be doing a Cult TV update, taking out some of the shows no one cared about anymore and putting in new things (like The X-Files).  My job was to create four pages of web sites about the TV shows (and put in a big honking credit for Game Shows '75).  I did my job, but he never did his, so it never came out.  I may be a little resentful.)

Jim Fleming (the first newsreader on "The Today Show"), a TTTT sub host around 1961 had a bad rapport with the panel, and their was a distinct chill in the air in the exchanges between him and the panel.

I read a book on the Today show that said Fleming was pretty much disliked on that show, too.  He left in a snit when J. Fred Muggs was introduced.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:09:24 AM by calliaume »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 03:02:43 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'197586\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 11:48 PM\']
I read in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader that Trebek filled in because Woolery was ill.
[/quote]
Never, never cite John Javna (a.k.a. Uncle John) as a definitive source.  Nice guy, but a lot of his stuff is not well researched.[/quote]I do, however, seem to recall this was the account given in The Jeopardy! Book.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 03:13:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'197592\' date=\'Sep 18 2008, 02:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'197586\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 11:48 PM\']
[/quote]
Never, never cite John Javna (a.k.a. Uncle John) as a definitive source.  Nice guy, but a lot of his stuff is not well researched.[/quote]I do, however, seem to recall this was the account given in The Jeopardy! Book.
[/quote]

And Trebek said so in one of the interview clips that you can unlock on the PSX 2nd edition of J!, so...would sure seem to me that we've got at least two sources here that can back that up?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022