Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...  (Read 17851 times)

ChuckNet

And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 12:49:19 AM »
BEST

Jim Peck on Joker's Wild -- He always kept the game at a good clip and didn't overplay the trademark B&E:

"..If you answer this correctly.....you would win your 5th game....and you'd win that beautiful Buick Skylark....Here is your question..."

Jim once said he was told he was moving the game too quick!

He was indeed...during his phone appearance @ GSC7 back in 98, he mentioned that while filling in for Cullen during the final season, they'd gotten so used to Bill's slow-paced hosting style that they had to stop tape about 3/4 through an ep. The reason? Peck had run out of questions, so they had to refill his podium before resuming!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 12:53:36 AM »
For best, I'd nominate Jack Clark on Password, who did a fine job both interacting w/the celebs and keeping the game moving.

For worst, I'd concur w/Eric's choice of Sonny Fox on BtC...anyone know if he did better on TTTT or TPiR? JM J. Bullock was also up there...aside from his breakneck pace on SSDD, he was clueless on what to do when one of the teams missed a question in a non-dare situation early on.

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 01:01:28 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'184715\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 11:49 PM\']

He was indeed...during his phone appearance @ GSC7 back in 98, he mentioned that while filling in for Cullen during the final season, they'd gotten so used to Bill's slow-paced hosting style that they had to stop tape about 3/4 through an ep. The reason? Peck had run out of questions, so they had to refill his podium before resuming!

[/quote]

I think Jim might actually be the only one who actually did BETTER then the guy who was hosting normally. No offense towards Barry or Cullen, but I think both of their primes were past them, though both did well.

Ohter good ones:
About Alex Trebek on Wheel, I think he did well filling in on April 1st in 1997. Also, Pat Sajak did pretty good on Jeopardy! that day. Dennis James of course did ok doing TPIR for Bob. Bill Cullen on Password Plus. Marc Summers on Scrabble, it was nice seeing him do an adult game show. Peter Marshall did well on HS in 2002 :)

Bad:
Rosie on HS for the one round. I can't really think of any others for some reason (ones that weren't said I mean)

Jay Temple

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »
I think I have one of Jack Clark's Passwords, which I'll have to watch again. Off the top of my head, Cullen on P+ is first one that comes to mind on the good side, and I have to agree with Goodson on (Trebek's) TTTT on the bad side.

After the April Fool's Day gag on J!/WoF, Alex said something to the effect that it showed that anyone could host. I thought he was far too modest. It showed the importance of the right host for the right show, because Sajak lacked the gravitas for J!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

comicus

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
Geoff Edwards always did a phenomenal job as the fill-in host, regardless of the format.  LMaD and Chain Reaction (which he, of course, would later helm full-time) were already cited, and I could swear I remember him guesting on Joker's Wild during the last season.

I have to say the worst I've seen is actually on right now: Billy Bush guesting on Millionaire.  He's absolutely deplorable and makes Bert Parks seem warm and genuine by comparison.  Go back and watch his few episodes of the LMaD remake if you need further evidence.  (And this opinion has nothing to do with his family relations.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'184776\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 04:38 PM\']I have to say the worst I've seen is actually on right now: Billy Bush guesting on Millionaire.  He's absolutely deplorable and makes Bert Parks seem warm and genuine by comparison.  [/quote]I've seen bits and pieces of the three earlier shows, and all of tonight's, and I'm willing to be a bit more charitable. I'm tired of the "Are you ready to play? Well, too bad, because it's time for a break", though. If he was given more than a week as substitute host, maybe he'd grow into the role.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39:14 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'184717\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 01:01 AM\']
I think Jim might actually be the only one who actually did BETTER then the guy who was hosting normally. No offense towards Barry or Cullen, but I think both of their primes were past them, though both did well.
[/quote]

If you go that route...

Alf was a better substitute host than John Davidson's regular hosting gig on Hollywood Squares!

whewfan

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 05:37:40 AM »
I feel both Jm. J and Shadoe did deplorable jobs filling in for John on HS.

I've only seen a snippet of Jm J, but the one show I have with Shadoe, Jm. J takes full advantage of being the center square (Joan Rivers was also MIA) and takes the lion's share of camera time. He actually took 3 minutes to answer a simple question on football helmets, and the cameras continually got shots of him goofing off with the helmets. It was like Shadoe was a substitute teacher and Jm J was the unruly student. Not what HS should be IMO.

I seem to recall Joan Rivers doing a one shot at hosting for an April Fools show, with John as center square (and to his credit, John Davidson was a great HS celeb, and you could never tell if he was bluffing.) Let's just say I wasn't laughing.

dzinkin

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »
Best: Bill Cullen for Allen Ludden on Password Plus.

Worst: Rosie O'Donnell for Tom Bergeron on Hollywood Squares.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'184797\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 09:39 PM\']If you go that route...

Alf was a better substitute host than John Davidson's regular hosting gig on Hollywood Squares!
 [/quote]
Well, as long as we're all in agreement.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'184807\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 02:37 AM\']
It was like Shadoe was a substitute teacher and Jm J was the unruly student. Not what HS should be IMO.[/quote]
You have just perfectly summed up the entire Davidson run of Squares.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

comicus

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 12:21:27 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'184807\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 05:37 AM\']
I feel both Jm. J and Shadoe did deplorable jobs filling in for John on HS.

I've only seen a snippet of Jm J, but the one show I have with Shadoe, Jm. J takes full advantage of being the center square (Joan Rivers was also MIA) and takes the lion's share of camera time. He actually took 3 minutes to answer a simple question on football helmets, and the cameras continually got shots of him goofing off with the helmets. It was like Shadoe was a substitute teacher and Jm J was the unruly student. Not what HS should be IMO.

I seem to recall Joan Rivers doing a one shot at hosting for an April Fools show, with John as center square (and to his credit, John Davidson was a great HS celeb, and you could never tell if he was bluffing.) Let's just say I wasn't laughing.
[/quote]

As 80s Squares guests hosts go, I have to give top honors to ALF.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 12:40:39 PM »
I have to say the worst I've seen is actually on right now: Billy Bush guesting on Millionaire. He's absolutely deplorable and makes Bert Parks seem warm and genuine by comparison. Go back and watch his few episodes of the LMaD remake if you need further evidence. (And this opinion has nothing to do with his family relations.)

I thought Dave Price was worse.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 11:30:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'184717\' date=\'Apr 24 2008, 01:01 AM\']

[/quote]

I agree...while it was nice to see Bill have one more show, I def think the show would've been in better hands under Peck, just the way Barry wanted it.

tpirfan28

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 11:12:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'184823\' date=\'Apr 25 2008, 12:40 PM\']
I thought Dave Price was worse.
[/quote]
Yup.  That's a no-brainer.  :)

Billy Bush looked like Drew in the beginning...slightly out-of-element, but with time could handle the show well.

I wish I would have seen Tom on Millionaire...sounds like he did pretty good.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"