Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...  (Read 17843 times)

TimK2003

And Here's Your Host, Filling In For ________,...
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:48:29 AM »
Who were your favorite fill-in or substitute hosts on shows and the show they pinched hit on?  Who were the worst?

My short List:

BEST

Jim Peck on Joker's Wild -- He always kept the game at a good clip and didn't overplay the trademark B&E:

"..If you answer this correctly.....you would win your 5th game....and you'd win that beautiful Buick Skylark....Here is your question..."

Jim once said he was told he was moving the game too quick!

WORST

Dave Price on Millionaire -- E'nuff Said!

Others???

Steve_Bier

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:57:32 AM »
BEST: Bill Cullen on "Password Plus".

WORST: Alex Trebeck on "Wheel of Fortune" in the early 80's. Just seemed too uptight for me.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' post=\'184652\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 09:57 AM\']
WORST: Alex Trebeck on "Wheel of Fortune" in the early 80's. Just seemed too uptight for me.
[/quote]
Wasn't he filling in when Chuck attempted suicide? Would those circumstances be reason for him to seem uptight?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'184654\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 10:19 AM\']
Wasn't he filling in when Chuck attempted suicide? [/quote]
Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

First, go read this thread from a few years ago.  The ONLY reference to Chuck Woolery attempting suicide ANYWHERE is on this web page.  In our discussion of this subject, the author of that information said (rather stubbornly, I think) "I believe I had read this in a book somewhere. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but that's all I have to say."  

If that information really was "in a book somewhere", he wouldn't be the only person in the world to have read it.  He wouldn't even be the only person in this forum.  So it's pretty likely that no such reference "in a book somewhere" exists, and we REALLY shouldn't be posting information like this as an assumed fact.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:51:10 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 11:23:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'184655\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 10:46 AM\']
First, go read this thread from a few years ago.
[/quote]
Great...now I'm back to wondering where the hell that rounded backdrop came from. :-P

Best:
Prolly Bergeron on Millionaire. I'd really love to see him land another regular hosting gig (on a game show, not something like "Dancing...")

Worst:
Dave Price, Millionaire. Like I mentioned in this post, he seemed awkward (like Jim Caldwell on TTD awkward) and sounded like a stereotypical game show host (like the ones you'd see on a sitcom).

Jack Barry would be proud of the faux drama he managed to build, though...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'184655\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 09:46 AM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'184654\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 10:19 AM\']
Wasn't he filling in when Chuck attempted suicide? [/quote]
Whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

First, go read this thread from a few years ago.  The ONLY reference to Chuck Woolery attempting suicide ANYWHERE is on this web page.  In our discussion of this subject, the author of that information said (rather stubbornly, I think) "I believe I had read this in a book somewhere. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but that's all I have to say."  

If that information really was "in a book somewhere", he wouldn't be the only person in the world to have read it.  He wouldn't even be the only person in this forum.  So it's pretty likely that no such reference "in a book somewhere" exists, and we REALLY shouldn't be posting information like this as an assumed fact.
[/quote]

Oh NO! I thought I'd deleted that part :(
EDIT: There, fixed. What can I say, back then I was a bit hotheaded :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:17:06 PM by gsgalaxy82 »

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »
Worst:

Mark Goodson on "to Tell the Truth".  For a guy who created so many television shows, and therefore spent so much time around TV studios, he had the most wooden on-camera demeanor that I've ever seen.

I mean, the show cues were all written out for the host on those cards that Bud would carry out to the desk with him every day... it's not **that** hard to deliver lines that a) you've heard about a million times before and  b) are sitting right in front of your face!

-Kevin
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 02:21:17 PM by TwoInchQuad »

Eric Paddon

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 05:22:09 PM »
Sonny Fox, filling in for Bud Collyer on "Beat The Clock" in 1956 I think it was.     He was just totally out of his element, and demonstrated also why he got fired as host of "$64,000 Challenge."

Jim Fleming (the first newsreader on "The Today Show"), a TTTT sub host around 1961 had a bad rapport with the panel, and their was a distinct chill in the air in the exchanges between him and the panel.

And the one-time Bennett Cerf subbed as host on WML in 1956, you could also tell how much of a fish out of water he was to be on the other side of the stage.

narzo

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
BEST:

a two time winner, Geoff Edwards filling in for Bill on "Chain Reaction" for a couple weeks in the early 80's, and for Monty on LMAD a few years later.

WORST:

Ralph Andrews on "Lingo" with a "supporting worst" to Margaux McKenzie.

Chief-O

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'184686\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 06:07 PM\']
WORST:

Ralph Andrews on "Lingo" with a "supporting worst" to Margaux McKenzie.
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he replace Michael Reagan outright?

From the few clips I've seen of him hosting, he really wasn't too bad. Probably a little nervous to finally be on camera after all those years backstage, but for a rookie host, he was quite tolerable.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:45:33 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 07:48:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'184687\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 04:44 PM\']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he replace Michael Reagan outright?[/quote]
I thought the gameplan was that he be interim while Reagan was off promoting his book, but the show got canned before Reagan could come back.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:57:38 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'184689\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 07:48 PM\']
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'184687\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 04:44 PM\']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he replace Michael Reagan outright?[/quote]
I thought the gameplan was that he be interim while Reagan was off promoting his book...
[/quote]
Well, I guess somebody had to raise the money to pay back the contestants...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bwood

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Worst:

Jm J Bullock on Hollywood Squares
Jm J Bullock on Super Sloppy Double Dare

I don't have anything against the guy, but his hosting is/was horrible. He talked a million miles a minute and ran all of his words together.
I recall that SSDD (Marc v. Harvey) ep where he talked so fast they told him to stretch it out.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 11:45:22 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'184711\' date=\'Apr 23 2008, 11:36 PM\']
I recall that SSDD (Marc v. Harvey) ep where he talked so fast they told him to stretch it out.
[/quote]

Yep! And he of course made note of it on camera. "And you go through the very, very looooong ear, grab the very, very loooooong flag..."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
Can we count Marshall sitting in for Bergeron?  If not, I'll go for Cullen on TTTT.

I'll nominate for the bad Jamie Farr (sitting in for Tom Kennedy on WORDPLAY).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)