Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's reason for giving up Marshall HS  (Read 18130 times)

aaron sica

GSN's reason for giving up Marshall HS
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2003, 02:48:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 09:57 AM\'] Channel 55 analog (formerly 28--Is that a bad sign?) [/quote]
 I wonder which cable system would win the award for having GSN on the lowest position on the dial...:)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2003, 04:37:33 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 01:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 09:57 AM\'] Channel 55 analog (formerly 28--Is that a bad sign?) [/quote]
I wonder which cable system would win the award for having GSN on the lowest position on the dial...:) [/quote]
Channel 376 on Digital, on the lowest tier possible, after being 204 on the highest tier possible.  This is Mediacom in central Iowa, BTW.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2003, 04:37:47 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

trainman

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2003, 08:00:45 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 11:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 09:57 AM\'] Channel 55 analog (formerly 28--Is that a bad sign?) [/quote]
I wonder which cable system would win the award for having GSN on the lowest position on the dial...:) [/quote]
 This (if the link works) is the channel lineup of Altrio Communications, the \"overbuilt\" (second) cable system in Pasadena, California.

If GSN is on a channel number lower than that on any other cable system, I'll watch six hours of TTD '90.
trainman is a man of trains

whampyl03

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2003, 01:43:32 AM »
This (if the link works) is the channel lineup of Altrio Communications, the \"overbuilt\" (second) cable system in Pasadena, California.

If GSN is on a channel number lower than that on any other cable system, I'll watch six hours of TTD '90.

Kind of reminds me of my local cable company's placement of Cartoon Network on the lineup before the local Fox affiliate came to Anchorage in the very early 90's.  Sandwiched between Sci-Fi on 3 and a very poorly run local UPN affiliate on 5, followed by USA on 6.  Gee, those were the days... I'm sorry, what was this conversation about again?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 01:45:01 AM by whampyl03 »

Gromit

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2003, 05:13:13 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 02:02 PM\'] in the evening, they're going to come back to BBCA or GSN.  They may not like it totally, but they'll come back--where else are they going to go? [/quote]
 That's a crappy attitude for a channel to take, and they'd have to be stupid to rely on it.

People find *substitutes*, they don't just accept lukewarm replacemants for the shows they love. They'll search every channel until they find new shows they really like.

Now that GSN hardly has anything worth watching, I tune into TLC, Discovery, and BBC Canada way more than I used to. I don't just watch whatever crap original might be on GSN.

sshuffield70

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2003, 06:50:00 PM »
Locally, GSN was moved off of ch 161 (digital) to 66 (analog).  I waited to post it because I wanted to be sure it was 24/7.

Radiofreewill

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2003, 09:32:51 PM »
Q1 cable channel 56.

Terry K

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2003, 05:53:01 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 05:31 AM\'] From tvgameshows.net

GSN Gives Up Original Hollywood Squares Package

"We had a limited amount of programming slots available and we had to choose between the new and old version of The Hollywood Squares," a GSN spokesperson said. "So we went with the newer version because it is more contemporary for our viewers now. More recognizable actors on that show."
 [/quote]
 They likely gave up those episodes since they get the current run of HS more-or-less for free via Sony (I recall the rerun rights to Bergeron HS going to GSN as part of the settlement for even creating this version)

The eps they're airing are definately new-to-GSN since they have the ultra annoying HS logo on the screen and they're from the 2002 season (one wonders when they get through them if they'll go to the 2003 fonz-produced eps which I haven't seen)

TimK2003

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2003, 09:21:39 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 07:00 PM\'] [quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 11:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 09:57 AM\'] Channel 55 analog (formerly 28--Is that a bad sign?) [/quote]
This (if the link works) is the channel lineup of Altrio Communications, the "overbuilt" (second) cable system in Pasadena, California.

If GSN is on a channel number lower than that on any other cable system, I'll watch six hours of TTD '90. [/quote]
 If I am not mistaken, the timeshare we were staying in on Kauai last month found GSN in the channel 40-something range.  However it shared channel space with one of the C-SPAN channels.

trainman

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2003, 12:17:57 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 06:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'trainman\' date=\'Oct 10 2003, 07:00 PM\'] If GSN is on a channel number lower than that on any other cable system, I'll watch six hours of TTD '90. [/quote]
If I am not mistaken, the timeshare we were staying in on Kauai last month found GSN in the channel 40-something range.  However it shared channel space with one of the C-SPAN channels. [/quote]
That's not lower than Channel 6, so I guess I won't have to watch TTD '90.

Actually, GSN used to be on a fairly low-numbered analog channel on my cable system (Adelphia, formerly TCI, San Fernando Valley, CA):  Channel 37.  Except from 10:00 P.M. to 6:00 A.M., when the Playboy Channel was there instead.

Once Adelphia got around to enforcing their "family-friendly" policy on this system, that GSN/Playboy channel was replaced with the Travel Channel.

GSN was also available, and is still available, 24 hours a day on the digital lineup, in the familiar Channel 161 position.

(Now that the Rigases are no longer in control of Adelphia, Playboy is back, as a digital channel only.  Cable systems make a lot of money on adult pay-per-view.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 12:19:23 AM by trainman »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2003, 03:02:25 PM »
[quote name=\'cac8383\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 12:22 AM\'] Does Channel 99 mean anything? On Charter Communications.  Please don't torture me with Mr. "You're Right!" [/quote]
 My cable company is Charter.  Here, 99 is Empty-V...er, MTV.

ObGameShows: Remote Control was da bomb, but I didn't mind Turn it Up!.

cweaver

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2003, 05:38:04 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 06:47 AM\'] I think the 1980-81 syndicated season from Vegas might have had a better chance to catch on with younger viewers, but perhaps not that much better of a chance.

[/quote]
 The era immediately before the Vegas run would've been great.  There were a lot of modern-day recognizable celebs in that bunch, like John Ritter.

I have always felt the shows burned out too quickly because there were so few and they were so heavily run in the first place.  "Match Game" didn't tire out so quickly because there are several thousand shows in that package IIRC, as opposed to the measly 130 or so in the Marshall Squares package.

trainman

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2003, 10:18:29 PM »
[quote name=\'cac8383\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 10:22 PM\'] Does Channel 99 mean anything? [/quote]
To the average viewer, that's not a very low channel number, but to the technicians at a cable system, it is.  In terms of the frequency in megahertz at which they're sent through the cable, cable channels 95 through 99 are between channel 6 and, um, channel 14.  (In cable TV frequencies, channels 14 through 22 are below channels 7 through 13.  Yes, it's very bizarre.)

Actually, here's a chart that shows this:  http://www.jneuhaus.com/fccindex/cablech.html

In practice, few cable systems choose to use channels 95 through 97 due to interference from FM radio broadcasts.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 10:19:16 PM by trainman »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2003, 09:29:29 AM »
I have always felt the shows burned out too quickly because there were so few and they were so heavily run in the first place. "Match Game" didn't tire out so quickly because there are several thousand shows in that package IIRC, as opposed to the measly 130 or so in the Marshall Squares package.

I've wondered the same thing.  When you look at the "classic" shows on GSN's schedule, the ONLY shows that they run the whole libraries of are "Match Game" and "Family Feud".  Every other show they only run a limited portion of - over and over.  It's annoying - especially since some of those same shows were easy access for GSN years ago.  In other words, they were able to run just about any season they wanted, and are now seemingly stuck with one.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

dheine1971

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2003, 09:08:12 AM »
What about the other Goodson-Todman shows airing on GSN currently - "Card Sharks", "Blockbusters", "What's my Line", "To Tell The Truth", "I've Got a Secret", and "Password"?