Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's reason for giving up Marshall HS  (Read 17548 times)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
GSN's reason for giving up Marshall HS
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2003, 07:47:45 AM »
I think the 1980-81 syndicated season from Vegas might have had a better chance to catch on with younger viewers, but perhaps not that much better of a chance.

My question now is how do we convince Nostalgia Television to make a run at the rights?

-C!
@lambertman

Ian Wallis

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2003, 11:20:17 AM »
Like it or not, the GSN as we knew it is close to extinction, if not there already.

That's what I've been thinking for a while.  So basically there's nobody out there to cater to us \"hardcore\" fans.  

I wonder if there ever will be again...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2003, 11:46:21 AM »
Every cable net changes eventually.  I thought HA! was perfect-but Jack Benny and Ernie Kovacs have given way to South Park and the Man Show. TNN is Spike, Fandango is no more, Most Extreme Elimintaton is in. FX-the former home of Breakfast Time and Backchat is now showing Major League Baseball!  I am thankful for what GSN has showed in the past and there are still a lot of things for us-Black & White Overnight, Blockbusters, Family Feud and Match Game are still there.  As with everything, GSN is evolving and changing, but through the magic of videotape I can still enjoy the way it was.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2003, 12:00:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 08:46 AM\'] but through the magic of videotape I can still enjoy the way it was. [/quote]
 I think you've hit it on the head. Assuming that GSN as we knew it is on the way out (and I don't share that Chicken Little attitude, but I recognize the right to an opinion), then people will simply go back to trading tapes to get their fix, just like we did before GSN. And those of us who don't wish to go to the bother of tape trading will simply learn to live without. I made it almost 28 years without GSN, I'm sure I can do it again if I have to.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HSquares2003

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2003, 12:49:34 PM »
Well, I have noticed on several webpages(without naming sites or names) that several people are too snobby to open up to trading with those of us who didn't have GSN until 2000 or so. Point being, if we don't have much to offer from our collections, then what makes you think these people are gonna trade with us?

Food 4 thought....

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2003, 02:46:05 PM »
My first suggestion is that you trade with the ones who aren't snobby.  

You can always find people who are willing to trade for just about anything, including something as simple as you taping shows off the air for them.  That is unless you've created such a lousy reputation for yourself that once somebody knows your real name, they don't want to have anything to do with you.

This is hypothetical of course.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2003, 05:02:33 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 06:47 AM\']IMy question now is how do we convince Nostalgia Television to make a run at the rights?[/quote]
Hold a seance--they don't exist anymore.  (Well, as the low-distributed GoodLife TV.)

As I've noticed before, the complaints I read about GSN resonate with many other niche cable channels scrambling for limited advertising dollars.  The most recent example is BBC America, where the British expatriates and Brit TV lovers are currently up in arms over the channel dropping the long-running BBC soap \"EastEnders,\" which had been running as of late on Saturday afternoons as an \"omnibus\" of the week's activities.  The reasoning for cancellation, of course, was ratings (along with the fact that the show's expensive to purchase and because of the Beeb's byzantine structure BBCA has to pay top dollar for all of its shows and doesn't get discounts from its half-parent)--and what gets ratings on BBCA beyond the hardcore audience, particularly during the daytime, is the how-to/makeover genre (\"Changing Rooms,\" \"Ground Force,\" \"Home Invaders,\" etc.).  The hardcore BBCA audience, who wants to see a wider variety of programming, complains about the overkill (and has a reason for being cynical about ratings, since Nielsen still isn't measuring in its regular surveys the digital tier homes that make up half of BBCA's subscribers), but BBCA says that it's putting on what draws the audiences that attract advertisers.

But despite the complaints from people on its forums and all of the talk of disconnecting the cable or satellite, what BBCA, GSN and the other niche channels know is that in the end, when the hardcore want to get their Brit TV jones beyond a couple of nights a week on public TV or their game shows jones beyond \"TPIR\" in the morning and \"Wheel\" and \"J!\"  in the evening, they're going to come back to BBCA or GSN.  They may not like it totally, but they'll come back--where else are they going to go?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2003, 09:38:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 02:02 PM\'] (and has a reason for being cynical about ratings, since Nielsen still isn't measuring in its regular surveys the digital tier homes that make up half of BBCA's subscribers), [/quote]
 I find that interesting. I was under the impression that the mass majority of GSN viewers over cable received the channel on the digital tier. I know I do. How many of you get it on a two-digit analog channel?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2003, 10:04:58 PM »
Satellite....

GS Warehouse

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2003, 10:34:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 08:38 PM\']How many of you get it on a two-digit analog channel?[/quote]
It's channel 30 on my cable system.

[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 09:04 PM\']Satellite....[/quote]
Did you know about half of U.S. TV households cannot receive satellite signals?  For example, small homes in large cities would find the signal blocked by the skyscrapers around them.

aaron sica

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2003, 10:58:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Oct 9 2003, 08:38 PM\']
I find that interesting. I was under the impression that the mass majority of GSN viewers over cable received the channel on the digital tier. I know I do. How many of you get it on a two-digit analog channel? [/quote]
 Channel 73 on Comcast Harrisburg..

Tim L

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2003, 11:21:12 PM »
Time Warner Cable of Akron and Canton, Ohio-GSN moves from Digital  channel 105 to analog 71 as of next week

Eric Paddon

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2003, 02:33:10 AM »
GSN's decision to let go of the Marshall HSQ altogether, and allow so many episodes to languish in a vault, is for me the final straw.

My interest in GSN is now down to one thing only, and that is the daytime TTTT episodes currently airing on B/W Overnight.   Once that cycle of episodes is done, then there is nothing I will ever watch or tape on GSN again, barring the unlikely possibility of shows like $20,000 Pyramid or Break The Bank being added to the schedule and giving me a chance to get episodes I don't have of shows like that.

To answer the question: \"They may not like it totally, but they'll come back--where else are they going to go?\", the answer in my case is thankfully a well-assembled video collection of nearly 5000 episodes of classic programming assembled since 1994 (and since 1997 in GSN programming which includes all the rare gems of the DP era and almost all Marshall HSQ that were aired) that will more than suit all my game show needs whenever I want to watch any.    Until then, thanks for the memories GSN, but I'm about to file for divorce as a viewer with no regrets.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2003, 08:50:05 AM »
   Time Warner Cable of Akron and Canton, Ohio-GSN moves from Digital channel 105 to analog 71 as of next week

(insert longshot cue here...) WHAT? This is the first I have heard of this...let me find out and i hope that it's true!!!
insert signature here

Jay Temple

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2003, 10:57:02 AM »
Channel 55 analog (formerly 28--Is that a bad sign?)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.