Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's reason for giving up Marshall HS  (Read 18041 times)

cmjb13

GSN's reason for giving up Marshall HS
« on: October 07, 2003, 06:31:19 AM »
From tvgameshows.net

GSN Gives Up Original Hollywood Squares Package

In a decision which will undoubtedly draw a mixed bag reaction from its viewers, Game Show Network has opted to give up its package of original Hollywood Squares episodes.

The network used the Tom Bergeron episodes during its summer Friday vertivision daytime format.

\"We had a limited amount of programming slots available and we had to choose between the new and old version of The Hollywood Squares,\" a GSN spokesperson said. \"So we went with the newer version because it is more contemporary for our viewers now. More recognizable actors on that show.\"

A series of 130 of the Peter Marshall episodes began running in the spring of 2002 but never drew strong ratings or young demographics.

The Bergeron episodes are now airing during GSN's morning lineups seven days a week.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 06:32:04 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 10:36:06 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 05:31 AM\'] From tvgameshows.net

GSN Gives Up Original Hollywood Squares Package

In a decision which will undoubtedly draw a mixed bag reaction from its viewers, Game Show Network has opted to give up its package of original Hollywood Squares episodes.

The network used the Tom Bergeron episodes during its summer Friday vertivision daytime format.

"We had a limited amount of programming slots available and we had to choose between the new and old version of The Hollywood Squares," a GSN spokesperson said. "So we went with the newer version because it is more contemporary for our viewers now. More recognizable actors on that show."

A series of 130 of the Peter Marshall episodes began running in the spring of 2002 but never drew strong ratings or young demographics.

The Bergeron episodes are now airing during GSN's morning lineups seven days a week. [/quote]
 This is certainly a shame but understandable. What, then, is the reason for GSN (presumably) double-running the 1987-88 seasons of WLOD and $100K Pyramid (Mon-Wed and Friday) starting next week, which are admittedly 10 to 20 years more recent than the Marshall HS package, but also have a number of B-list celebs appearing on them?

inturnaround

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 10:53:26 AM »
The celebrities on WLoD are far less important to the game. It could just as easily have been played with other players, but they went with celebs.

As for HS, the celebs are central to the success of the show. Plus, I think that maybe GSN can stop being worried about the less-than-PC nature of the show.

All spectualtion on my part, though.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Ian Wallis

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 11:20:46 AM »
The same could be said for \"Match Game\" - many celebrities on there whom today's audiences wouldn't know.  But I guess ratings speak volumes.

It's too bad GSN is taking this stance though.  If what they're looking for are contemporary shows, it seems unlikely that much from the '70s and before will ever be run again (except for maybe \"Black and White overnight\")
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 02:08:30 PM »
But with Match Game, people still recognize Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly (and Betty White when she's in the sixth seat).  I remember when ET did a feature on MG a year or two back, Brett said she was amazed that she gets fan mail from teenagers.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

GS Warehouse

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 02:16:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 01:08 PM\'] But with Match Game, people still recognize Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly (and Betty White when she's in the sixth seat).  I remember when ET did a feature on MG a year or two back, Brett said she was amazed that she gets fan mail from teenagers. [/quote]
 While HSq is dated in some areas--who remembers Karen Valentine without having TV Land?--but the jokes and double entrendres on MG never get old.  I have to side with GSN on this one.

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 07:46:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 01:08 PM\'] But with Match Game, people still recognize Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly (and Betty White when she's in the sixth seat).  I remember when ET did a feature on MG a year or two back, Brett said she was amazed that she gets fan mail from teenagers. [/quote]
 Now, if GSN announces it will be replacing all Rayburn MG's with repeats of MG98 (can't have those numbers-killing, nasty OLD people -- pauses to spit on ground -- infesting our channel...Judy Tenuta equals RATINGS, dammit!!), I will truly be in horror.  

I know some of you understand, or are trying to, but I too am worrying about the writing being on the wall.  My above comment was sarcastic, but you never know sadly.  

But on another tangent...while I wish to see more Marshall HS, am I one of the only people left who thought the Bergeron ones were decent?  (Seems it suddenly became trendy to bash it around 2000-2001 or so)  Unlike That other celebrity panel game revival of 1998, at least it managed to be faithful to the original, despite the usual complaints...Peter Marshall's eternal argument of it being \"too loud,\" and the handling of bluffs being such that they imply that ANY Celebrity could come up with something funny to say.  I will say, however, that the show really lost my interest in, ironically, the season GSN is showing now, with the loss of a certain favorite panelist I won't shut up about and the out-of-place bonus round.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 08:05:54 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 07:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 01:08 PM\'] But with Match Game, people still recognize Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly (and Betty White when she's in the sixth seat).  I remember when ET did a feature on MG a year or two back, Brett said she was amazed that she gets fan mail from teenagers. [/quote]
Now, if GSN announces it will be replacing all Rayburn MG's with repeats of MG98 (can't have those numbers-killing, nasty OLD people -- pauses to spit on ground -- infesting our channel...Judy Tenuta equals RATINGS, dammit!!), I will truly be in horror.  
 [/quote]
Don't laugh---MG98 was edgy, after all. Thank goodness the tapes are presumed lost.

it is more contemporary for our viewers now

So those of us who watched Marshall HS, in their eyes, weren't watching at all....at least, that's how I interpret this one.

Nick GAS is getting more and more airtime in this neck of the woods these days.....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2003, 08:49:05 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 09:46:09 PM »
Don't laugh---MG98 was edgy, after all. Thank goodness the tapes are presumed lost.
Whomever is presuming that is being awfully...presumptuous.  I don't care how much of a train wreck the show might have been, there's absolutely no way that a major television production from five years ago is \"lost\".

\"Buried\" on the other hand....
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 09:53:34 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 07:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 07:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 01:08 PM\'] But with Match Game, people still recognize Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly (and Betty White when she's in the sixth seat).  I remember when ET did a feature on MG a year or two back, Brett said she was amazed that she gets fan mail from teenagers. [/quote]
 [/quote]

it is more contemporary for our viewers now

So those of us who watched Marshall HS, in their eyes, weren't watching at all....at least, that's how I interpret this one.
 [/quote]
 No, no, no...like I said, the writing is on the wall.  It's not that we weren't watching, it's that we are no longer wanted.  Like it or not, the GSN as we knew it is close to extinction, if not there already.  Ash to ash, dust to dust, fade to black...the memory remains (insert Marianne Faithfull singing \"La-la-la-la...\" here) (NOTE: If I misgave the lyrics here, sorry.  Don't want angry Metallica fans emailing me)

catnap1972

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 10:03:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 09:46 PM\'] I don't care how much of a train wreck the show might have been, there's absolutely no way that a major television production from five years ago is "lost".

"Buried" on the other hand.... [/quote]
 I'd rather stick with the \"mistakenly burned\" theory myself

LOL

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 10:27:10 PM »
But on another tangent...while I wish to see more Marshall HS, am I one of the only people left who thought the Bergeron ones were decent?

No, you weren't.

I am also going to go out on a limb and say... and bash all you want...that the Peter marshall Squares were, well, boring. There's something about them- the set's not as flashy, the jokes are kinda dated, (don't get me wrong, there are a few times I laughed out loud) but in general, i think the show was just too old and slow for new viewers to latch onto. We GS fans have been watching HS for years- via their orginal airings, or through tape trades, so we have an appreciation and fondness for them that most people wouldn't have.  GS fans are the minority,...not the majority.

As for the \"fears\" that MG 98 will return...yeah right. I don't think so. The MG 7X version is more popular than any other version ran. They won't replace it with a failed, crtically panned revival anytime soon.
insert signature here

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2003, 08:03:59 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 10:27 PM\']
As for the "fears" that MG 98 will return...yeah right. I don't think so. The MG 7X version is more popular than any other version ran. They won't replace it with a failed, crtically panned revival anytime soon. [/quote]
 Maybe they won't replace Rayburn with it, but I still say the day is near that it ends up on GSN. [as for the \"lost\" thing, I thought it was reported a while back at EZboard that Lillie Holstead and the MOSGM crew had searched for them and came up dry]

we are no longer wanted

And THAT is exactly why I'm bothered! My buck is as good as anyone else's, so to basically be told \"we want Little Jimmy's dollar over yours\" is a real kick in the (blank).

JMFabiano

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2003, 08:33:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 07:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'Oct 7 2003, 10:27 PM\']
As for the "fears" that MG 98 will return...yeah right. I don't think so. The MG 7X version is more popular than any other version ran. They won't replace it with a failed, crtically panned revival anytime soon. [/quote]
Maybe they won't replace Rayburn with it, but I still say the day is near that it ends up on GSN. [as for the "lost" thing, I thought it was reported a while back at EZboard that Lillie Holstead and the MOSGM crew had searched for them and came up dry]

we are no longer wanted

And THAT is exactly why I'm bothered! My buck is as good as anyone else's, so to basically be told "we want Little Jimmy's dollar over yours" is a real kick in the (blank). [/quote]
 So it will turn up, yet no one can find it?  Maybe our old buddy now at GSN has tapes of his own so he can forever admire his judging handiwork???? ;-)

As for your agreement on my statement, unfortunately I'm pretty much used to it now when it comes to entertainment in general.  Not to sound high and mighty, but seems that just about everything -- TV, movies, music -- has been dumbed down now, and its effects on me range from unentertaining to sickening.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2003, 09:42:03 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Oct 8 2003, 05:03 PM\'] And THAT is exactly why I'm bothered! My buck is as good as anyone else's, so to basically be told \"we want Little Jimmy's dollar over yours\" is a real kick in the (blank). [/quote]
And that is where your fallacy lies...your buck may be as good as anyone else's, but there are a WHOLE LOT MORE Little Jimmy's out there to get bucks from than there are PeterMarshallFans. (Or clemon79s, or Matt Ottingers, or whoever.) Or at least, GSN has reason to think so. Maybe they're wrong.

Don't look at it as them wanting Dollar \"A\" more than Dollar \"B\", because that's not the case. They want every dollar equally. But if they can only get one type of dollar, doesn't it make sense to go for the one that exists in greater numbers?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2003, 09:45:02 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe