Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Duel Returns in April  (Read 14454 times)

Clay Zambo

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'181234\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 02:43 PM\']
The idea of a two-player, head-to-head high stakes game has limitless potential, and the "Duel" people may actually have a workable game format if only they'd mount it right.
[/quote]

I didn't think it was all that bad the first time around.  Not spectacular, maybe, but far from awful.
czambo@mac.com

Jimmy Owen

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 03:47:13 PM »
The first series was pretty bad.  Greeny needs to lose the pen, and be given the go ahead to inject a little humor;  if you appeared to be smart, you wouldn't be picked as a contestant;  easy questions played out for 5-10 minutes, shall I go on?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:51:31 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Duel Returns in April
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 04:22:47 PM »
The pen didn't bother me. In fact, I see it as a sponsorship opportunity: they could take a partial note from the Blankety Blanks folks and send losing contestants off (after being told what an absolute joy they've been, of course) with the official Duel fountain pen, furnished by your friends at Cross.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
Glad to see it returning. The tournament aspect didn't do much for me - I preferred the game play. I'll look forward to seeing how well the tweaks work.
(My home version is three-quarters done - might as well wait until April to finalize it.)

Neumms

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'181242\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 03:22 PM\']
The pen didn't bother me. In fact, I see it as a sponsorship opportunity: they could take a partial note from the Blankety Blanks folks and send losing contestants off (after being told what an absolute joy they've been, of course) with the official Duel fountain pen, furnished by your friends at Cross.
[/quote]

Will it have authentic Greenberg bite marks? Because as much as he played with it, he's gotta be munching on it during commercials.

irwinsjournal.com

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I thought the pace of the first run was about as fast as a snail... who had just downed a serious amount of...

But first, this is Duel on ABC.

...chamomile tea.

I think the race is now on to see which game show can stretch the least amount of content the farthest.  If Jeopardy were to follow this tactic it would take a full week to...

...but first, this is Duel on ABC.

...play one first round.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

Matt Ottinger

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »
[quote name=\'irwinsjournal.com\' post=\'181260\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 06:21 PM\']Maybe it's just me, but I thought the pace of the first run was about as fast as a snail.[/quote]
Again, as we discussed when it was on originally, the producers cut the first two shows as one-hour programs, then were told to stretch them to ninety minutes by the network.  So for those 90 minute shows, there was a half-hour of filler in each one that the producers had already decided they didn't want which made them miserably slow.  There was a distinct improvement in the later shows, though certainly this will never be mistaken for a fast-paced game.

I think there's little doubt we'll see lower stakes and a faster pace when this comes back.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

toetyper

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »
what if they did it like thls

defending champs

first win-5k per Chip left
second win 10k ''''''''''''''''
third win- 20k''''''''''''''''''
fourth win 30k''
'./
'l
tenth win 100k'''''

clemon79

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'181271\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 05:59 PM\']

defending champs

fourth win 30k''
'./
'l
tenth win 100k'''''
[/quote]
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3211/matmonbag2ec0.gif

MikeK

• Martha!
Duel Returns in April
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 09:31:21 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'181271\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 08:59 PM\']

defending champs

fourth win 30k''
'./
'l
tenth win 100k'''''
[/quote]
In addition to the use of Mr. Lesko, throwing out numbers and not giving an entire list isn't useful.  In other words, what are wins 5 to 9 worth?  Don't answer.  Matthew Lesko has made one appearance already.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Duel Returns in April
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'181239\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 12:25 PM\']I didn't think it was all that bad the first time around.  Not spectacular, maybe, but far from awful.[/quote]I'm impressed that they were able to do something with "one question and four answers", that also manages to inject a measure of strategy and suspense into the proceedings. Far from perfect, sure. But as far as quizzes go, it's a good one.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'181242\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 01:22 PM\']The pen didn't bother me. In fact, I see it as a sponsorship opportunity: they could take a partial note from the Blankety Blanks folks and send losing contestants off (after being told what an absolute joy they've been, of course) with the official Duel fountain pen, furnished by your friends at Cross.[/quote]Is Temptation:Non-Sucky Down Under Version still giving away the Waterman fountain pen?

I think that's a fine idea, and it would fall into the same categories as the Croton watches or Sale of the Century stickpin from the earlier days. (I still maintain that PYL missed a huge opportunity by not having plush Whammies as consolation prizes.)

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'181261\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 03:34 PM\']I think there's little doubt we'll see lower stakes and a faster pace when this comes back.[/quote]Given the choice, I think almost everyone with two neurons would choose more games and lower stakes, as opposed to the inverse. When played at a decent clip, Duel is a fantastic show, and a really good game. (The pyro show that the Brits fired off for the jackpot winner was Teh Neat, too.)
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'181271\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 07:59 PM\']

defending champs

fourth win 30k''
'./
'l
tenth win 100k'''''
[/quote]
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/9145/ohnoesgp3.jpg
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:19 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'181274\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 06:31 PM\']
In addition to the use of Mr. Lesko, throwing out numbers and not giving an entire list isn't useful.  In other words, what are wins 5 to 9 worth?  Don't answer.  Matthew Lesko has made one appearance already.
[/quote]
I assumed (and not unreasonably, I don't think) that it went up in $10K increments.

Given the OP, I'm not inclined to rag him too much for abbreviating. (To a point.)

The sheer ludicrousness of the idea itself, however, enjoys no such projection.

WhammyGuy28

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 11:11:08 PM »
If it comes back again, I won't watch it again.  Simple as that...
"What kind of man would live in a world where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all."

-- Charles Augustus Lindberg

Matt Ottinger

Duel Returns in April
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 11:18:25 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLFan28\' post=\'181282\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 11:11 PM\']
If it comes back again, I won't watch it again.  Simple as that...[/quote]
Thanks for sharing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.